RS Hero Stormtrooper with Screen Lineage (first edition)

I think they only had the hero faceplate, maybe the hero dome was slightly different and had a certain effect on how the faceplate sits when pieced together???

I think they only had the hero faceplate, maybe the hero dome was slightly different and had a certain effect on how the faceplate sits when pieced together???

not sure if they made more than one set of trooper molds for the movies
i mean even some of the hero face plates have remnants of extra teeth
if they made separate hero molds you would think they would have erased any trace of a 4th or 5th tooth
i hate to say it but maybe ainsworth did use the blue tac ( his words ) method to hide the extra teeth :cautious:
does any of that make sense to anyone else :unsure:o_O

i know you were referencing the dome but if they only made one set of molds ( do we know 100% ) ? why bother with an extra dome mold

different question did the RS hero face come from the tie they had access to ?

hero face RS.jpg

It has been my theory ( KEY WORD THEORY) that they used a Tie pilot face mask. This would take care of two points for me:

1) why they only had access to just a face plate.

2) The reason why the helmets look a bit narrower than they should. It could be that the face plate that was sourced was narrower due to being squeezed in the pilot form for decades.

Just a theory as nothing has been confirmed.

well tie pilots have a section cut out at the top middle part of the face plate & that would match up to the pic i posted taken
from a RS YT video
that was the reason for my question
pic below showing cut out section for those who may not have known

pcLCZzW - Imgur.jpg

So does this mean they never got ahold of an actual ANH hero helmet, and just used a tie fighter instead?
It's similar to the x-wing helmets. RS Props used TIE pilot helmet shells for the two halves with additional moulding and reference from a Vietnam era APH-6 Helicopter helmet. Yes there is lineage to original props, but I suspect when many people hear the x-wing helmets have lineage, they assume directly to an x-wing helmet not a TIE pilot helmet. Sometimes statements by fans about the screen lineage can be misleading.

It's similar to the x-wing helmets. RS Props used TIE pilot helmet shells for the two halves with additional moulding and reference from a Vietnam era APH-6 Helicopter helmet. Yes there is lineage to original props, but I suspect when many people hear the x-wing helmets have lineage, they assume directly to an x-wing helmet not a TIE pilot helmet. Sometimes statements by fans about the screen lineage can be misleading.
I wouldn’t necessarily say this is a case of statements made by fans being misleading, as RS Props was pretty adamant about this being from an actual Hero helmet.

Here’s a quote from the listing of their hero helmet on their site:
“Created from the original mouldings of a Stormtrooper Hero helmet face plate from the first Star Wars film A New Hope”.

I’m still very much looking forward to receiving mine, but if this is actually the case the wording RS used on their site is a little deceiving.

I wouldn’t necessarily say this is a case of statements made by fans being misleading, as RS Props was pretty adamant about this being from an actual Hero helmet.

Here’s a quote from the listing of their hero helmet on their site:
“Created from the original mouldings of a Stormtrooper Hero helmet face plate from the first Star Wars film A New Hope”.

I’m still very much looking forward to receiving mine, but if this is actually the case the wording RS used on their site is a little deceiving.

Thats what I'm trying to explain. They were not deceiving at all. They just used a clever play on words. The quote you are using clearly says: “Created from the original mouldings of a Stormtrooper Hero helmet face plate". The Tie pilot helmet uses faceplate from the Hero moulds. So every bit of that quote is actually true. They just didn't specify the source.

If it were up to me, I would have been clear as to the source of the face plate, fixed the width problem and maybe costumers wouldn't be so confused or disappointed.

As for the modification on my helmet. I havent shown it here as it is rather primitive and not permanent. I'll most likely do another thread once I make the mod permanent, to help others who want to apply the same mods to their helmets.

I'm not aware of any instance where RS Props said anything inaccurate about the lineage of the products, however sometimes it isn't exactly clear how much was recreated by them. I believe on most of their items they had to recreate something because the original props are usually no longer complete. In cases like the x-wing pilot helmets they have access to a significant part of the two outer halves (TIE pilot helmet), but that is it. The rest is research to recreate what we see on screen, not always access to the original prop that is being replicated.

Some of the overly simplistic fan statements bother me. If you just went by those you could think RS has mint condition original props to work from because everything is lineage. The products are usually based on something lineage or the same as the original found part, but not necessarily the OT prop being replicated.

I'm a fan of what RS Props does and have quite a few of their helmets. They do a great job. However, sometimes I do think they exagerate the lineage. The Lineage tab on their website is pretty good, but sometimes light on detail. Some could think every detail found on their products is exact like an original OT prop because it is cast from an original OT prop of that type. Unfortunately that isn't always true.

Watching their YouTube videos about recent products helps to understand how they create their priducts.

As for the modification on my helmet. I havent shown it here as it is rather primitive and not permanent. I'll most likely do another thread once I make the mod permanent, to help others who want to apply the same mods to their helmets.

Yours looks very nice, especially with the comparison to screenshot. Looking forward to hearing what you did - thanks for sharing that!

Dan

I have one of these helmets on order... #52. Without having mine in hand I won't say if there is a width issue or not, but I CAN certainly say is that everyone is taking images of their helmets with their cellphone at close range, the lens is distorting them and making them look narrow.

Get back from them, and zoom in to get a more accurate image. The person who modified their helmet to be wider may have made look right in camera but have may made it too wide for reality.

RS Props needs to be notified of the screen used lens color. It is NOT black (smoke grey), it is GREEN.

I have one of these helmets on order... #52. Without having mine in hand I won't say if there is a width issue or not, but I CAN certainly say is that everyone is taking images of their helmets with their cellphone at close range, the lens is distorting them and making them look narrow.

Get back from them, and zoom in to get a more accurate image. The person who modified their helmet to be wider may have made look right in camera but have may made it too wide for reality.

RS Props needs to be notified of the screen used lens color. It is NOT black (smoke grey), it is GREEN.

The pictures I posted of my helmet post mod, were done with a 35mm lens at a distance between 5 or 6 feet. The problem is definitely not a lens distortion one. The helmet is narrower than it should be for sure. Like I said it could have been from the original that was sourced being squeezed in the Tie Pilot form for decades.

So...I was told by RS that I would have helmet #1, and yet I still haven’t gotten a tracking number despite later edition numbers being delivered to collectors the U.S. I’ve been in contact with RS about this and they told me they would look into it. That was a week ago, and no reply to me since.

Update 2/27: RS finally responded back and are taking care of the issue.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back