Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

I have since re made his tail...this version was horrible.

Final looks like this:

Rudy.jpg

IMG_20200125_205256.jpg
IMG_20200125_193032.jpg
IMG_20200125_193011.jpg

I was a little worried when it came to making Rudolph's head, I thought it would look odd, but looking at it now it looks fine, not the best, but fine.
So hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the ears, jaw, and tail finished.

Little update
I finished the neck, nose, and tail
The tail might get replaced by a different one, but I will wait on that until all is finished
Screenshot_20200131-180453.png
Screenshot_20200131-180401.png
Screenshot_20200131-180433.png
Screenshot_20200131-180426.png

I also wanted to say that the side of him looks amazing so far (in my opinion), ill admit the neck could be a little bit thinner, but still not bad for my first reaction.

here is a little comparison of mine with the original
Screenshot_20200131-180430.png

dfe8b1321f54de95e5ca95b0911e9584--rudolph-red-nosed-reindeer-christmas-movies.jpg

use a ping pong ball for the eye. Just cut a tear drop shape using some small curved scissors. The original black pupil was thin leather.

Thank you vaderdarth the idea of using ping pong balls for the eyes really helped me a ton
IMG_20200208_173052.jpg

IMG_20200208_173830.jpg
IMG_20200208_173822.jpg

Now the eye is just temporary, I plan on finding some leather for the pupils and maybe painting the eye a less bright white, and it looks a little off to me but that maybe due to the missing ears. But please tell me your thoughts.

Last edited:
looking good Reposition the corner of the eye closer to the top of the head such that it points to a straight line coming from the top edge of the white on the snout. Does that make sense? If you look at the line of stitching between the nose white and the eye.......the points actually connect by that line. The tail is the same length as the ears, it's nearly the length of his head minus his snout.

Last edited:
I've been collecting Rudolph memorabilia, figurines, action figures and autographs for years...The only thing missing was my own replicas of the puppets used to make the holiday special...Last year I found an amazing felt artist on ebay who created Rudolph, Clarice and Sam the Snowman for me...She's now going to be working on Santa and Yukon Cornelius...I'm lucky to have found this person as she's made me other incredible pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_6351.JPG
    IMG_6351.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 399
So vaderdarth mentioned that the eye placement was off I think he was saying the point of the eye should be lined up with the with the white part of the snout, but anyway you let me know if something is still wrong.
I'll be working on the new tail and ears
IMG_20200216_181022.jpgIMG_20200216_211548.jpg

Hey everyone, it's me again after a month of being gone im back
Sorry for being so quiet I've been very busy with school and other projects and just felt so unmotivated to finish Rudolph, but because of all that has been happening in the world I don't have school until March 30th so now i have some extra time to get back to Rudolph.
Aside from all that I have done some work on him, I replaced the eyes with new ones because the previous ones were sticky due to the spray paint, the new ones don't have spray paint.
And I replaced the jaw.
IMG_20200320_185623.jpg

I also gave him an ear, however something looks off and would love some more advice and opinions for the look of the ear. I think it looks a tad bit too big, but please let me know what you think.

So far it looks amazing....You're definitely capturing the look of the puppet, but for myself being a huge fan of that holiday special and studying several pics of the model that was used, here are a few observations. The whites of the eyes look good, but maybe could be edge sanded slightly with a nail file...They also could be inset a little bit...If you look at the original that's how they appear...I've read that the blacks of the eyes on the original were cut out pieces of black leather, so that they could be moved around to show eye movement...Also the ears seem slightly too large and are positioned wrong...Also the white around the mouth seems like it could have been a different fabric than felt, not sure...I just asked a question of the Rankin Bass historian Rick Goldschmidt about that, I have him as a friend on facebook...I'll let you know what he says...Your model looks great!

So far it looks amazing....You're definitely capturing the look of the puppet, but for myself being a huge fan of that holiday special and studying several pics of the model that was used, here are a few observations. The whites of the eyes look good, but maybe could be edge sanded slightly with a nail file...They also could be inset a little bit...If you look at the original that's how they appear...I've read that the blacks of the eyes on the original were cut out pieces of black leather, so that they could be moved around to show eye movement...Also the ears seem slightly too large and are positioned wrong...Also the white around the mouth seems like it could have been a different fabric than felt, not sure...I just asked a question of the Rankin Bass historian Rick Goldschmidt about that, I have him as a friend on facebook...I'll let you know what he says...Your model looks great!
Thanks for the advice, ever since March when my last photo was taken I have made some improvements to his eyes, ears and head shape, I made his head a bit more round since his head was a bit flat looking, and I completely re-did his eyes for a more cleaner look around the edges. I also did notice that the ears did look a tad bit off, to be honestI wasn't too happy about how they looked so I started over on them, and I feel that the new ones look much better in terms of size and position, also as the time being I still haven't been able to make his eyes out of black leather just yet. I did try but because the puppet is so small it is difficult to make a good looking round circle with any fabrics, so for now I will stick with paint (also because I didn't notice any movement in newborn rudolph's eyes in the special) but hopefully I will be able to use black leather on the older versions of rudolph when I get around to making them. Also tell Rick Gibran said hi. I actually invited him to help me out with this project back in January, but unfortunately he was to busy, however he did tell me to keep moving forward with the project as he said it was a great idea. Anyways, I will post more photos of rudolph probably later in the day. I look forward to getting more feedback from the forum.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back