Original Lightsaber found at LFL with ROUND blade

I wish there was more stuff on the set dressing for Star Wars. Christian was a key figure in creating that retro-future clunky look that was in Star Wars and really was defined in Alien through Blade Runner. I really want to know more of the methodology that went into that.

I love men with white gloves :

So I spy with my little eye left to right : DV Barbican, Luke ESB, Luke ROTJ, OB1 with bubbles, OB1 ROTS, Dooku, Maul but what's in the front of picture behind the Vader/Luke stunt? ... a DV ROTJ Graflex?

There's even another in between the Vader/Luke stunt and DV ROTJ Graflex? ... a lightsaber with a red stunt blade ... Anakin's AOTC? :

Indeed a round stunt blade, MPP clamp, not many T-tracks left on it, no red button or glass eye either in the bottom :

Chaim

Could be Graflex clamp painted black. Paint was added to convert it from the Luke to Vader saber for the duel scene. I would also guess that the square blade was swapped out for the round blade because it doesn't spin in that scene while Obi-Wan's blade does.

Don Bies said on Facebook that the blade they found was not an original one but one that was made in the 80's for some kind of promotional shoot.

We do know they were using round blades as early as ESB even with practice sabers, this saber is in photos and video being used by both Hamill and Bob Anderson. This saber is, I think, the one Luke is holding on the cover of the 'Making of ESB' book.

Looking at the promo photos of Mark in the black shirt going between the hero Graflex and this bladed stunt saber I've always believed that blade was round and not square. I think it is very possible when Luke used it in ANH it was a spinning square blade but changed to a static round blade for Vader.

Now this exact blade may not be an original, but this is the first time I've seen that original stunt saber post ROTJ when it was a practice saber.

Agreed James... the black shirt promo shots DID have a round blade. It's round... round round round.

star-wars-anh-luke-lightsaber-promo-1.jpg

And I don't see an OB1 with bubbles in the table shot. I see a Luke ROTJ that looks cast... you see the casting bubbles.

Thanks scottjua it's the rings of Luke's ROTJ casting that reflects the light as if they were bubbles :wacko

Could that stunt saber in the video also be the same as this only
with a black painted clamp?

And due to the same lack of a glass eye hole and bunny ears?

Chaim

Last edited:
I don't think so. There aren't holes for the graflex button and glass eye on the piece in the video.

Unless those were glued on, fell off and those other black things that we see in the video were added on.

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 4.13.10 PM.png

Also, that's totally a graflex clamp and not MPP. The side profile is what I'm looking at. It's straight and continues the full length of the clamp. That hollow cast Luke ROTJ is pretty neat, it might even be a cast of the V2 seeing as those pommel cubes aren't the same as the resin cast hero next to it - and I believe that red one is an EP. 3 Anakin Stunt. The recessed area up top can be seen and that was a ROTS thing.

are those more stunt blades sitting in front? augh, I wish we knew what those were and how they were situated inside a stunt saber!

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I'm thinking there were either a couple of those tube-stunts or I'm definitely missing some facts on how it got to look like that today :D

Does anyone recognize this..chunk with a blade on it?

View attachment 462628

I don't think so. There aren't holes for the graflex button and glass eye on the piece in the video.

Exactly my point ... so it could be the same prop, since the hole for a glass eye is not apparent either in the stunt saber I posted :facepalm As for the clamp ... normally an MPP clamp has a plastic sleeve underneath and thus appears not straight but without it ... it's straight ... so still it's inconclusive to discard the MPP clamp over a G R A F L E X, don't you agree? Also a G R A F L E X clamp would show a text and additional lines engraved even under black paint, however those are quite hard to distinguish even from those screenshots I took, hence I tend to lean towards an MPP clamp as seen on the Barbican saber. That said . . . if the saber in the video is the same as the stunt in Luke's hand, which I posted, then it's more then likely the clamp is indeed . . . a G R A F L E X painted black, because the lever is quite visible as such ... and an MPP lever is totally different in shape :wacko

Chaim

Last edited:
How many screen used Luke-wielded stunt sabers are used in ESB?

1. Laela's bladed pipe saber (does this, or any of these, have a better known name?)
2. Short-bladed off-center Wampa Cave Graflex
3. Bespin duel full-bladed Graflex
4. ???

If any of the three I have mentioned are the same saber, feel free to correct me as I am somewhat new to the stunts.

Also, regarding the pipe saber Laela holds in the video, the clamp looks to be rubber or foam as it is thick looking. I know MPP's have rolled sides and a plastic sleeve making them appear thick, but don't they also have a reflective sheen to them? I realize decades can do wonders for dulling a sheen, but it looks completely flat black.

thd9791, I am unable to view your attachment. Could just be me though.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back