The Ultimate Luke ANH Graflex Research & Discussion Thread

I wish this info had been discussed back pre 2010 days as I know I've had a couple of the stamped side bars come through and
wound up replacing them with blanks at the customers request :rolleyes: I don't remember who but I know I've seen at least two.

I do believe one of them I actually replaced the whole clamp so one of them is out there somewhere...
I want to say NewZeland but I can't remember exactly.

Of course look how long it took to find the double rivet D-Ring so they are always some sort of work in process it seems

Starkiller and I took a road trip Sunday, we got to ask this guy a few questions…
B1E74D80-70E3-4DD7-BAD0-ADCA128FAF7A.jpeg

So an RAF flex just went on eBay and two telegraphs are listed right now! Weird but good time for rarities in the hobby! I missed the RAF by *that* much, such is life! I'm guessing someone on here probably managed to grab it!

So an RAF flex just went on eBay and two telegraphs are listed right now! Weird but good time for rarities in the hobby! I missed the RAF by *that* much, such is life! I'm guessing someone on here probably managed to grab it!
The one on ebay was highly suspicious for several reasons. Others more knowledgeable than me agree the side bar stamping was not original nor were several of the details consistent with an RAF. Sounds like you may have actually dodged it and whoever did get it may not be getting what they think.

Well I stand corrected ... according to schrodinger555 ... those Folmers are not quite screen-accurate ... yet still have the New York stamping :)

Chaïm

I got confirmation that the RAF code on the reflector is genuine ... and ... there's another Folmer New York yet I'm not certain if it has a real red button ... the edges seem a bit soft ... perhaps someone can confirm?

Chaïm

Eventhough the RAF code on the sidebar seemed dodgy it did have the RAF code on the reflector dish too :

View attachment 1801231

There's 2 other Folmers, 1 complete and 1 without the clamp schrodinger555 ;)

Chaïm

The reflector on this one is legit but it’s the ONLY genuine “RAF” part of this whole Flex. I’m sorry for the guy bought it for 2k or so.

... there's another Folmer New York yet I'm not certain if it has a real red button ... the edges seem a bit soft ... perhaps someone can confirm?

Chaïm
Thanks Diego86 ... and I just noticed the other New York Folmer is from the same seller and eventhough he has some more G R A F L E X parts up for sale I don't trust that red buttom to be genuine. So buyers beware!

Chaïm

Thanks Diego86 ... and I just noticed the other New York Folmer is from the same seller and eventhough he has some more G R A F L E X parts up for sale I don't trust that red buttom to be genuine. So buyers beware!

Chaïm
Do you mean this button?
1711032107907.png

it looks like a genuine button from the first "true" graflex flash version. Second if you count the telegraph. They re the only ones with a step at the base.
Here's one from my own collection:
1711032654250.png

I dont follow as to why other parts aren't an RAF graflex? The Clamp Stamping looks poor that's true, but that's because most of the stamping looks rusted.

Attachments

• 114A_RAF.jpg
    114A_RAF.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 16
Told myself that my graflex collection was complete unless something really special came along………..

Got this last week, pretty much my dream version. If the clamp bar had been stamped that would have been nice but I’m honestly delighted with it.

The bulb assembly lip is chipped but it looks fine. I’ll add an early glass eye and possibly change the button but apart from that I’m going to leave it as is.

Delighted to have this in my collection :)(y)
IMG_2933.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2824.jpeg
IMG_2823.jpeg
IMG_2932.jpeg

I’m going to argue this is a new variant of the RAF Folmer - it’s the super rare RAF Friday afternoon Folmer and the bloke responsible for stamping knocked off early for a cup of tea and missed this one :)

Last edited:
v312 ... no I meant another ... this one :

Schermafbeelding 2024-03-21 om 18.19.40.png

FOLMER NEW YORK Graflex Flash 3-Cell Vintage Authentic from the same seller as the rusty RAF Folmer. It has me confused now.

Chaïm

Chaïm
The red button IS genuine! But it cames from a “1928” Folmer, a different version of Folmer from the RAF version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back