Limited Run Luke's ROTJ Static Hero/Yuma/ISYHCANL Prop Replica Kit (2nd Run) *SIGN UP CLOSED*

Hi Dave,
Happy new year!

I wanted to thank you for the hero kit. It looks magnificent. Can’t wait to get it set up. I have one question though. Were LEDs supposed to be included for the triangles? Thanks wasn’t sure because they’re in the photo of the kit but not listed as one of the items in the kit.
If not, what size LEDs did you use?
Thank you again!
Mike
Hi Mike.

Happy New Year!

I didn't send LEDs out with this run I'm afraid. Some of the images were from the 1st run. Those LEDs are actually static ones and weren't much use as they required quite a complex circuit to get them blinking/alternating. Since doing the first run, I've discovered most people use blinking LEDs to make a simpler circuit. I've seen people use both regular 3mm/5mm blinking LEDs as well as the little superbright surface mounted ones.

I'm afraid I've still not actually settled on a solution myself just yet. I got as far as wiring up a working prototype, but I'm planning on swapping out some of the components for smaller ones when I get around to it.

These were just regular superbright flashing 3mm LEDs that can be picked up on Ebay for next to nothing.

I'm considering swapping them out for Surface Mounted ones, but thd9791 had a great idea of fixing little black tubes to the rear of the plate to take LEDs, so I might try that first when time allows.

Interesting that you bridged the LEDs - and put the wire in the center - any reason for this?

I also had to switch to 3mm LEDs as they wouldn't fit next to my slide switch at the front of the box!

Interesting that you bridged the LEDs - and put the wire in the center - any reason for this?

I also had to switch to 3mm LEDs as they wouldn't fit next to my slide switch at the front of the box!
Hi Tom. Yes it's certainly tight on space! The only reason for bridging the LEDs like that was to keep them spaced correctly with a sturdy connection rather than having an additional wire. It didn't really matter where the centre wire was connected along that bridge. It was just easier to solder at the centre so as not to catch anything else with the soldering iron. I'm a bit of a novice at anything like this to be honest.

Is this run finished?
Hi there.

No, not quite. I'm just working on finishing a few commissions this week, but I have parts and materials for another few kits. I'll be putting those together over the next couple of weeks and putting them up for sale on the Junkyard when they're ready.

Cheers (y)

*Update*

Hi Everyone. I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year!

It's great to be back working on these commissions for you all! I just wanted to give you all a quick update on how things are going...

Hero boxes are all but finished, as you know from my previous update. I've been working on getting the hilts/bodies finished this week. I started off by removing any surface marks/scratches and prepping for painting. I've also filled in the emitter on the hero commissions, as well as the second grub screw.

Today I finally got a decent day for painting, so I got them all masked up to have the grenade sections painted and managed to get three coats on before running out of paint. I think this might be enough, but I've ordered some more on Prime just in case. I'll see how they're looking tomorrow once the paints fully cured, and under some natural light.

If I'm happy with how they're looking (They're looking good (y) ), I'll get them masked up to have the neck section painted. Hoping for a clear day like today!

PXL_20210106_144703701[5513].jpg

PXL_20210106_163259783[5510].jpg

As well as the Heroes, I have a couple of Yuma commissions, and over the Christmas break I did a little bit of experimenting on one of my spare hilts (while the wife wasn't looking). I had a play around with some Aluminium Black to add a little bit of Pre-Stencil weathering on to the Emitter.

PXL_20210105_140653594[5533].jpg

PXL_20210105_140849102~2[5532].jpg

This was just a test, but I'm quite happy with how its turned out :cry:. It's a little dark perhaps, but it will be getting knocked back further along with the paint, so I think it should be just right.

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying being back! I didn't like having to leave these partially completed over the holidays. I'm back now though, and in full swing! I'll post more updates as things progress, and will hopefully have everything wrapped up within the next week or so.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and patience!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

Finally received this a few days ago, and it’s great! Can’t wait to get started assembling mine.

That being said, has anyone put together a finishing tutorial for this? I tried searching and didn’t see anything, so apologies if I missed it.

With how accurately designed this is, I want to make sure the colors, etc. are as accurate as possible.

Again, great job DaveP

Finally received this a few days ago, and it’s great! Can’t wait to get started assembling mine.

That being said, has anyone put together a finishing tutorial for this? I tried searching and didn’t see anything, so apologies if I missed it.

With how accurately designed this is, I want to make sure the colors, etc. are as accurate as possible.

Again, great job DaveP
Really glad that it got to you eventually! Sorry it took so long. :rolleyes:

I did have a build thread up for my first run. It wasn't so much a tutorial though and was more of a kind of build diary. I've been posting my progress for this run here too. Again though, it isn't really a step by step guide. I would have liked to have done something more in depth, but I'm conscious that that's going to slow down the work, and really want to get these finished for those who are waiting.

That said, I'm going to be finished on my commissions hopefully by the end of this week, or certainly over the weekend, so I'll be moving on to my own builds in my spare time. I'll make a point of documenting the process in more depth and posting that here (Or maybe updating the build thread?).

In the mean time, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions :cry:

Good luck with the build, and feel free to get in touch if you have any problems (y)

All the best,

Dave

*Commission Update*

Lots of progress on the commissions so far this week! I was blessed with a clear day for painting yesterday too!

Hero Commissions have been re-masked and had their first pass of Spray Bike "Bronze Gold"!

PXL_20210112_142659836.jpg

The can ran out unfortunately, and I'd like to get another coat on before moving on to colour correcting with the airbrush. That'll be arriving tomorrow hopefully!

Yumas have had their emitters blackened with Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black. They've been stencilled up and had their black paint applied too (three coats).

PXL_20210112_125641274~2.jpg
PXL_20210112_134142493~2.jpg

The Stencils went on GREAT and appear to have worked a treat! :cool: Just need to get the neck masked up to take a layer of gold before I can get everything stripped down. Can't wait to see the end result!

The Hero Boxes are finished now too! I got the Triangles made today and got those installed. Please excuse the dodgy lighting (Ran out of natural light unfortunately). I'll post some better photos at some point tomorrow. Excuse the dust and fingerprints too! :D I'll be giving everything a good clean tomorrow and putting to one side, ready for when the bodies are done.

PXL_20210113_173421448.jpg

It's all coming together, and *should* be on track to get everything wrapped up by the end of the week or at least over the weekend (depending on the weather).

Thanks for your patience everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

**Commissions Update**

Hi Everyone. I felt that an update was overdue. Apologies for the radio silence this week!

If/When I do go silent, it's usually because I'm incredibly busy, and avoiding social media/forums and getting my head down. Not because I'm slacking off! :D

If you do ever have any questions, or need to get in touch, I always try to respond to PMs as soon as I can.

It has been an incredibly busy couple of weeks. Every aspect of producing these is time consuming, and as you probably know, I'm a bit of a perfectionist! :D I apologise for the wait, and I REALLY do appreciate your patience! Thank you! This first batch of commissions is VERY nearly complete however, so I just wanted to share an update, and assure you that they will be shipping out soon!

As you can see, some of them are finished and ready to be packaged up. Rather than break off every time one one is completed, I think it is more productive to get the whole batch finished, and then move on to cleaning them and packaging them together.

With that in mind, please excuse any dust/fingerprints! I'll be giving each one of these a good clean before packaging up. :cry:

PXL_20210122_130925276.jpg

PXL_20210122_130852857.jpg

PXL_20210122_130808740.jpg

For those of you who are eagerly awaiting the Yuma Run, there's a sneak peak of one of the finished Yumas for you, and how the stencils turned out :cry:

As always, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who took part in the run and to those who are now patiently awaiting their commissions!

I'm working as fast as I can to get these finished and on their way to their new homes (whilst maintaining my high standards of course!).

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

**Commissions Update**

Hi Everyone. I felt that an update was overdue. Apologies for the radio silence this week!

If/When I do go silent, it's usually because I'm incredibly busy, and avoiding social media/forums and getting my head down. Not because I'm slacking off! :D

If you do ever have any questions, or need to get in touch, I always try to respond to PMs as soon as I can.

It has been an incredibly busy couple of weeks. Every aspect of producing these is time consuming, and as you probably know, I'm a bit of a perfectionist! :D I apologise for the wait, and I REALLY do appreciate your patience! Thank you! This first batch of commissions is VERY nearly complete however, so I just wanted to share an update, and assure you that they will be shipping out soon!

As you can see, some of them are finished and ready to be packaged up. Rather than break off every time one one is completed, I think it is more productive to get the whole batch finished, and then move on to cleaning them and packaging them together.

With that in mind, please excuse any dust/fingerprints! I'll be giving each one of these a good clean before packaging up. :cry:

View attachment 1414393
View attachment 1414392
View attachment 1414391

For those of you who are eagerly awaiting the Yuma Run, there's a sneak peak of one of the finished Yumas for you, and how the stencils turned out :cry:

As always, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone who took part in the run and to those who are now patiently awaiting their commissions!

I'm working as fast as I can to get these finished and on their way to their new homes (whilst maintaining my high standards of course!).

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

Absolutely beautiful [emoji2956]

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back