Limited Run Luke's ROTJ Static Hero/Yuma/ISYHCANL Prop Replica Kit (2nd Run) *SIGN UP CLOSED*

Thats great about the pcb, i was'nt looking foward to painting the printed one, as i just finished a 1/6 scale statue which was more than fiddily. Thanks for all the extra effort you are putting into this Dave!

Yeah big thanks Dave. I reckon there's a lot of time and effort that's been invested in this and to offer it to the community is A1.

Cheers

Here’s mine, finished by Dave. Photos taken with an iPhone in artificial lighting.

Attachments

• E4001D66-141C-49DB-ABD6-3B2D6115D322.jpeg
    E4001D66-141C-49DB-ABD6-3B2D6115D322.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • ABAE027D-0F79-411F-9335-1CFE624F8A76.jpeg
    ABAE027D-0F79-411F-9335-1CFE624F8A76.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • DA0B6EA5-CECB-482A-B6CA-4A686D59F713.jpeg
    DA0B6EA5-CECB-482A-B6CA-4A686D59F713.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
*Update*

Just a little (but very exciting) update...

I've handed over my design for the PCB, along with the reference photos, to the manufacturer and a prototype IS being produced!

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.43.24 PM.png

They're going to follow my design as closely as possible, whilst correcting anything that I might have gotten wrong. They're the experts after all.

The decorative foil that has been added to the original prop will be added later, along with the logo on the micro-controller. I'm going to be having these precision cut as adhesive labels in reflective foil and gloss white.

CAN'T WAIT to see how these turn out!

I'll be including these new and improved PCBs in the kits, but I'll also put up a separate unlimited run in the project runs area for anyone else that needs them. Still waiting on a final price for these, but I think it should be around the same mark as the 3D printed ones, so won't effect the price of the kits.

As soon as I have some images, I'll get them posted.

MTFBWY,

Dave

*Update*

Short Version:

Run going ahead 1st week of September (with improved PCB). I'll start taking final orders on Monday 01/09/20. Cutoff date will be Monday 07/09/20. I'll be ordering the parts on the 7th, so I'll need to receive payment by then for your order to be included. I'm not able to make any exceptions this time around unfortunately. Hope those dates sound OK to everyone? Please feel free to let me know if you think that's too soon, or too long to wait.

Long Version:

Hi everyone. Just a quick update on the re-modelling process. I'm aware that quite a few people have signed up now, and you may be wondering when the run is going to go ahead. In theory, we could start the ball rolling any time, now that we have the numbers. I'd just like to get this last round of fine tuning done first though if that's OK with everyone? This is going to be the last run of these, so I'd like to catch anything that I can improve on.

Those of you who took part in the first run shouldn't worry too much. The model has barely changed! It's more about going through the process, and getting it lined up with higher resolution images than anything else.

It can't go on forever though, so I've decided to put a deadline on it. Since we're partway through the month now, I figured the first week in September would be a good time to push the button on this! That gives me more than enough time to do the things I need to do, and hopefully it's enough warning for those who wish to take part to get their funds together.

By that time I should have all the modelling finished and the new models transcribed in to CAD drawings. I should also have the PCB prototype in hand and be ready to push the button on those. The prototype is being worked on as we speak. I may even start the ball rolling on those sooner depending on the cost, as I'll be posting a run of those separately too.

Latest Modelling work:

I've been struggling with this image this week:

GRENADE.png

I've managed to line my models up with it before, but I always found it a struggle to reconcile the ring spacing with their diameter. Especially when the model had already been checked against other references. It occurred to me that the display case was probably distorting the dimensions.

I did a quick check by mirroring the part of the grenade that was exposed to get the actual width of the rings. As you can see, there is definitely a bit of refraction going on, which makes this image unreliable.

GRENADE 2.png

I wont be using the above image in future. Instead, I opted to crop an extreme close up of the grenade section from another high res reference and use that to finalise the grenade section:

Granade Close Up.png

I'm petty happy to move on from the grenade section now based on this latest overlay. I'll be checking the box section next, including the plate, buttons and rails.

As always, thanks for your support!

MTFBWY

*Update*

Just a little (but very exciting) update...

I've handed over my design for the PCB, along with the reference photos, to the manufacturer and a prototype IS being produced!

View attachment 1335285

They're going to follow my design as closely as possible, whilst correcting anything that I might have gotten wrong. They're the experts after all.

The decorative foil that has been added to the original prop will be added later, along with the logo on the micro-controller. I'm going to be having these precision cut as adhesive labels in reflective foil and gloss white.

CAN'T WAIT to see how these turn out!

I'll be including these new and improved PCBs in the kits, but I'll also put up a separate unlimited run in the project runs area for anyone else that needs them. Still waiting on a final price for these, but I think it should be around the same mark as the 3D printed ones, so won't effect the price of the kits.

As soon as I have some images, I'll get them posted.

MTFBWY,

Dave

Dave would it be possible to add an updated pcb to my order?

**Mammoth Update**

Hi everyone. Apologies for all the updates this week. This is another looong one! I’ve been working on various aspects of this project this week and lots of things seem to be coming together all at once. I just want to keep you all updated on the latest developments before I go away for a couple of days tomorrow camping! It's not all good news I'm afraid... :(

PCBs:

So, the PCBs are something that I’m VERY excited about. The 3D printed boards were a last minute thing on the last run and I was really happy with how they turned out, considering that they were done on a bit of a whim.

I was hoping that the real-parts PCBs would come in at around the same price as the printed versions. They would have done… but unfortunately, I hadn’t counted on the cost for the manufacturer to interpret my design and research the necessary parts to include on the board. This has pushed the price up well beyond what I was expecting; more than double the cost of the 3D printed ones unfortunately.

Based on the designs I’ve seen for the board, I think its worth going ahead with them. They’re just TOO COOL to not have made! Hopefully everyone that has their name down for a Hero kit will agree when they see the prototype (which is in production).

Unfortunately, this means adjusting the price ever so slightly. This is something that I didn’t want to do, but I think it’s preferable to abandoning the idea and sticking with the 3D printed ones.

So, I’m raising the price of the Hero kit to £200 (from £195) to absorb *some* of the additional cost. I sincerely hope that this is acceptable to everyone. If you’d like to be removed from the list because of this, please let me know. Or perhaps I could offer a discounted kit that doesn’t include a PCB?

Emitter:

I’ve made a decision to alter the emitter… You may, or may not, be aware, but I’ve been researching the Yuma blade as a little side project. This research has revealed a few things to me that have implications for the model. These are important changes, and hopefully everyone will be on board! It has become apparent to me that the Yuma blade was slightly off centre. This implies that the tang of the blade was a smaller diameter than the emitter entrance. The grub screw is basically pushing it off to the opposite side:

If you look at the blade in relation to the neck on this video, you can clearly see that it is offset:

This raises a problem in my mind. There is NO way that that blade could have been secured by a single point! You only have to watch the footage of the skiff sequence to see that it must have had another set screw lower down on the emitter. Here’s the thing though.. there is evidence of another grub screw. This second fixing in the emitter has been filled in at some point. It only occurred to me this week, that whatever it has been filled with, could be filling the emitter entrance too, which is why the reference photos appear to show the emitter opening as being ridiculously shallow! After the sail barge scenes, the Yuma never held a blade again. I believe the emitter entrance originally went deep enough for the second fixing point to be used. I believe it was then filled (and hidden) as part of the clean-up for the ISYHCANL Pickup.

I’d really like for the Yuma body in this kit to be able to take a blade, in the same way that the original prop did. So I’ve decided to deepen the emitter entrance enough for the second fixing point to work as a functioning set screw.

Emitter Changes.png

Hopefully everyone is on board with this very subtle, but important change. The prop itself will look no different on the surface, but I think we may have brought it a little closer to the original prop with this small change.

Hero Box:

I finished work on the Hero Box today. As with all of these changes, they are very subtle! I did take all the various parts of the Hero box through a fresh round of tests today though, before settling on a final arrangement. No images just yet I’m afraid. I’ve learnt that creating fancy renders and overlays can eat in to your productivity. Today has been a “doing” day, and I did get a lot done. :) I’ll present my findings soon if that’s OK with everyone. In the meantime, you’ll have to take my word for it that this is going to be the most accurate representation of this prop so far!

I've settled on a final design for the triangles too, and I'm awaiting a quote for having these manufactured. Partially at least:

3D Print.jpg

Pricing:

As I mentioned earlier, the price of the Hero Kit will need to be raised slightly to £200 to absorb some (but not all) of the cost of the new PCB. I’m sorry about this, but hopefully you’ll agree that it will be worth it. As I said, if you do take issue with this, we could come to some sort of arrangement where the PCB is left out of your kit.

I’ll also be adding the PCB to the list of parts that can be ordered separately. These will be £20 to start off with. Any future orders of these will not include the manufacturers design fee though, so should they prove popular, the price will definitely come down at some point in the future.

There is a slight alteration (increase) to the price of the Yuma Body. Again, this is NOT something that I like doing, but I made a bit of a foolish mistake when working out my prices. I’d based my price for these on the pre-tax, pre-shipping price, so was actually selling these at a loss! This is before taking in to account the hours spent rubbing down any tool marks, etc. So I’m afraid the price of the individual bodies is going to need to go up to £90 (from £85). This is the price for me to just about break even on these.

Postage:

I had a slight shock at the post office today. Prices for international shipping (to the US at least) have gone up. Not by a huge amount, but they are now higher than those originally posted by me. Originally, for simplicity, I charged a single postage fee for “International shipping”. I’m going to have to be a little more nuanced in my approach, as the shipping costs to Europe from the UK are now considerably lower than they are to the rest of the world.

There are now three different prices for shipping: UK/Europe/International. The prices are based on Royal Mails new prices which can be verified here: Get a price | Royal Mail Group Ltd

UK Shipping = £15
Europe Shipping = £18
International = £30

Sorry AGAIN for the very lengthy post! I just wanted to keep everyone informed. There are a LOT of things happening right now with this run, but I want you to know that I’m on top of everything and I think everything is going to come together over the next week or so.

For now, I'm AFK for a couple of days (literally living in a field!) so my internet access will be limited. Hopefully everyone is OK with the above. :oops:

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back