That's just it. The overly politicized culture we currently live in makes every move seem suspect. 20-30 years ago I would've thought, "Probably just a marketing move since only nerds like me know the names of these ships." Nowadays, recognizing it as some kind of PC appeasement will more likely turn out to be the correct assumption unfortunately.

Setting aside any political motivations, I don't think it's a necessary move just from a marketing standpoint. Yeah, I'm sure there's a non-fan parent out there that would be helped by seeing "Boba Fett's Starship" on the box, but I'd say most people are savvy enough to figure out that "Slave 1" is his ship. And there is still the picture on the box after all. If name recognition is genuinely a problem, just slap Boba's face on the box. That's a much better solution anyway since I'm sure there's also a parent out there that doesn't know the name- "Boba Fett".

Since it’s very unlikely that we’ll hear more about this officially from Disney, and people have already inferred the various possible reasons why this happened (and no one can really prove one over the others, if that even matters), that part of the conversation is essentially a dead end, particularly because dancing around political or quasi-political things seems like where things go next. No interest in that.

Instead, we can discuss what happens from here. My guess is that Slave-I isn’t gonna get renamed, as even Disney is smart enough to know that that would cause even more consternation among fans. It would be pretty easy to keep having the ship appear, and never have anyone refer to it by name, as happened in the OT.

Now that they’ve kinda made a mess of things by upsetting the status quo, though, perhaps the easiest way for Disney to deal with this is to just have Slave-I get destroyed early on in the new series. Then Boba gets a new ship, with a new name. Problem solved, as far as they’re concerned.

Last edited:
Perhaps I should refrain from linking the article directly then to avoid the potential for political talk. If anyone is at all interested PM me and I can link it privately so as to respect the forum rules.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
I loved watching the two duke it out in the rain without weapons. It was well choreographed and screamed Indiana Jones. The fact that it was also sloppy lent to its realism. It would be really, really cool had we seen Jedi do more hand to hand combat in the PT and hopefully it will work it's way into the Kenobi series. The Clone Wars Micro series actually did this very, very well too and it's one of the many reasons I adore it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back