Looking at this through the eyes of a kid. This is the saber that I dreamed off. Something that contained the whole blade but could light up as well. The closet thing we ever got was those spiring loaded Force Action monstrosities.
View attachment 1456562

They were huge! And poorly lit. The idea that this tech will hopefully only get better, smaller, and cheaper, is exciting.
Problem is this new tech does seem to be these “monstrosities” but with an internal motor instead of flicking the wrist to get the “blade” out and brighter LED.

looking at the video, the hilt is very big and not screen accurate. The close-up also shows the blade “tip” sticking out even when “deactivated” so upon initial activation, you can see the tip glow before the blade comes out.

given the blade is already “too slow”, a smaller motor would result in a slower blade. It also seems there is just too much stuff to cram into the hilt that screen accurate size wont be enough.
There's a couple of threads about it in the SW section. The tech is basically 2 tape measure type 'blades' that are translucent, with an LED strip sandwiched between them. The whole shebang is reeled in & out be a series of motors & tensioners.View attachment 1456553
yeah thread basically confirmed. The internal mechanism is still impressive but the final result not so much.

Downscaling the mechanism is the name of the game here but i think a huge issue is the “blade” itself. Even with the oversized hilt, the blade doesnt completely enter into the hilt.

I do think the tech as is could make a cool workable Darth Maul saber though. Maul’s double hilt os quite a bit longer than the jedi single-blade hilts and is a simple cylinder so has space to store the blade and LEDs. It would be impossible to work in a Dooku or Obi Wan though lol.

I'm curious how the blade reels back in or even if it could. Wouldn't they have shown it if it could?

This seems more like a step in a long continuing process than something that should be hyped to the degree that it is. Too many flaws. For a stage show it might work well enough, but not much else.

This seems more like a step in a long continuing process than something that should be hyped to the degree that it is. Too many flaws. For a stage show it might work well enough, but not much else.
That is LITERALLY all this is & all it was meant to be

The patent was filed & somehow the news caught wind. That's when all the 'DISNEY FILES PATENT FOR REAL LIGHTSABER' headlines/clickbait started. Any indications that this was going to be sold to the public, was the next step in replicas, or anything other than a prop for their Cast Members was nothing other than conjecture on the part of the public.

It doesn't take too long to read through the threads to see that there were some HUGE leaps in assumptions combined with equal parts lack of reading & comprehension.

I'm pretty sure that if it had not been leaked, that teaser video would've been the first time the public saw it.

Echoing what everyone else has said, this has gotta be a stage prop which IMO is a good thing because it alludes to them maybe actually living up to having shows and live interaction like was expected from Galaxys Edge.

I honestly would care more about the saber community at large jumping onto the quick detach blade style that the Disney/Savi’s sabers have. I know using a retention screw will always be most secure, but the ease of swapping/removing blades on those sabers is pretty unmatched.

That is LITERALLY all this is & all it was meant to be

The patent was filed & somehow the news caught wind. That's when all the 'DISNEY FILES PATENT FOR REAL LIGHTSABER' headlines/clickbait started. Any indications that this was going to be sold to the public, was the next step in replicas, or anything other than a prop for their Cast Members was nothing other than conjecture on the part of the public.

It doesn't take too long to read through the threads to see that there were some HUGE leaps in assumptions combined with equal parts lack of reading & comprehension.

I'm pretty sure that if it had not been leaked, that teaser video would've been the first time the public saw it.
Patents are public information for the most part unless they're filed under a secrecy order. Lucasfilm had to be aware of that and that speculation would occur. Entertainment franchises/movie studios and the public often spread rumors and false information to generate interest/sell/hype. All of it is unnecessary no matter who is at fault. People don't always have the time or interest to read into every story or go far beyond headlines. It's definitely good form to if they're commenting on it.

Last edited:
Hopefully, if this “super-duper working / retractable saber” will be used strictly as a performance piece, the enlarged size of the hilt will help “Darth Butterfingers” from hitting children…

padme.jpg

I don't think SW is dead. It's more like the CEO died and his idiot drunk relative took over and is running it into the ground. Usually at some point someone, like the board of directors or investors, steps in and has the idiot drunk removed. I've got my fingers crossed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back