For I-III? Really? I know that for episode VII&VIII they used models.

Yep even I-III. I think people see all the BTS footage and see all the green screen stuff immediately think their using CGI. But green and blue screens are just used to help key out elements to filled in later, whether that be a physical model or CGI model.

Altering a dice throw is not altering the future. Raising to chancelor of the republic, while simultaneously and secretly training sith, which you are yourself with no one knowing, and manipulating half the galaxy for decades to create an interplanetary civil war so as to impose an empire and rule them all with the most powerful jedi whose life is nothing but a lie you created at your side: that is altering the future. Alter a gamble stupidly proposed by a less than amoral slaver so a promising youngling can have a better future is just a minuscule push to ensure the status-quo balance slightly leans towards the right side of things.
The difference is in being aware of the long term outcome.

That's just it, Qui-Gon is very much aware of the long term outcome. In his own words. "I'm not actually here to free slaves." But that all changes when he told that Anakin had no father. He believes Anakin is the Chosen One. So he manipulates the result of the chance cubes role to insure that the Chosen One could come with him to the Jedi Council, setting in motion terrible events.

Here's a question for all my RPF friends.

Why does Luke's x-wingin ESB look so different? Is it meant to be a different model of x-wing? Or did they just not finish of the full scale model?
wallpaper-2959267.jpg

Notice the distinct lack of greebling on the back, plus the addition of landing lights. Also it's hard to tell because of the shadow, but the greebling on the aft of the ship is different too.
latest?cb=20170103144610.jpg

found an image of the filming model

kg_red_5-002.jpg

Last edited:
That's just it, Qui-Gon is very much aware of the long term outcome. In his own words. "I'm not actually here to free slaves." But that all changes when he told that Anakin had no father. He believes Anakin is the Chosen One. So he manipulates the result of the chance cubes role to insure that the Chosen One could come with him to the Jedi Council, setting in motion terrible events.
Every decision we make affects the future. Knowing the future and trying to change it is different from trying to control the future with no knowledge of it. Just because Qui-Gon knows that trying to alter the future with knowledge of it is a path to the dark side, does not necessarily mean that he won't attempt it anyways. Qui-Gon was a bit of a loose cannon within the Jedi order which is why the very "by the books" Obi-Wan was paired with him as his Padawan.

Yep even I-III. I think people see all the BTS footage and see all the green screen stuff immediately think their using CGI. But green and blue screens are just used to help key out elements to filled in later, whether that be a physical model or CGI model.
Huh, ok

Of all the things they did, it was the painted Q-tips with the fans that killed me. That was ingenious. :oops: :lol:

Why does Luke's x-wingin ESB look so different? Is it meant to be a different model of x-wing? Or did they just not finish of the full scale model?
View attachment 1027257

Notice the distinct lack of greebling on the back, plus the addition of landing lights. Also it's hard to tell because of the shadow, but the greebling on the aft of the ship is different too.
View attachment 1027258
Because Lucas never cared about absolute continuity that involved rivet counting. There wasn't an internet in 1980 that let fans complain about how the entire SW universe is ruined and that ESB sucked because it did things differently from its predecessor.

Last edited:
Joker where did it say there was more
Models made for the prequels then the OT?

I knew ep1 had a lot of practical effects which we all forgot

And are they referring to models in the prequels that were 3d modeled and cnc’ed? I don’t believe they had 3d printing at the time..

Like Vader’s helmet was CNC’ed in ep3 then cast and molded

Joker where did it say there was more
Models made for the prequels then the OT?

I knew ep1 had a lot of practical effects which we all forgot

And are they referring to models in the prequels that were 3d modeled and cnc’ed? I don’t believe they had 3d printing at the time..

Like Vader’s helmet was CNC’ed in ep3 then cast and molded

I've heard that several place, now.

They are referring to miniatures, like ships and locations. Which isn't surprising, as I don't think that they made an miniature locations for the OT. LIke Theed Palace was all a scale model.

View attachment 1027257

View attachment 1027258

Why are you comparing an Empire Strikes Back set piece to a CGI model made for a video game almost 35 years later?

There were more miniatures and models made for TPM then were made for IV-VI.
That might be true but doesn't change the point you replied to, that I-III felt less "real" due to the use of CGI. It wasn't really ready tech wise to be used on the scale Lucas wanted. So much of the PT feels like reverse Roger Rabbit to me. Real actors walking through a well rendered animation.

No its a standard X-Wing, the reason it looks different is because it wasnt built by the ILM model builders, but by set builders,....for the split second you see it or the miniatures on screen, you don't notice the differences,....exactly the same with the differences between the 5 foot, 32", Full size ANH, Full Size ESB, Full Size sequel films of the Falcon

Its all movie magic,....until you see behind the scenes or pause the film

J

Pretty sure they had done with the real "flying" models by epII, the whole asteroid bit was def cgi, come to think of it most of the pod race in epI was cgi. They still used lots of practical models for static scenes throughout the prequels, which was nice.

Anyhoo, the reason I'm here... Watched Empire last night and noticed along with the white IG88 and the tie fighter pilot helmet in the junk room where chewie finds 3po, there's also a medical droid body with Zuckusss' (or 4-loms if you are a certain age) head on it in the foreground...
10162.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back