So all in all I think the biggest and most unforgiveable issue with the ST is that they started making it without having any idea how they're gonna play it out. No plan, no outline, no basic skeleton for the story.

Well we do know from Adam Driver, that Ben's story at least was all mapped out. Or at least he said he's known from the beginning how Ben's story was going to end.

We also know that Palpatine has been the works since at least 2015.

You bring up some interesting points.

And you know I think some of the issues that people have go back further then TFA. You get the sense that they were kinda backed into a corner right from the start.

We don't know much about George's ideas he gave the production team. But we do know that his idea for episode 7 was to have Luke on exile. And have the new Heroine(called Kira at one time) find Luke and convince him to return to the fight. But Michael Arndt, who had been hired by George and Kathy several months before the sale to Disney. He was felt that every time he brought Luke into the story, which at that time would been about the mid point of ep7. Luke took the focus and attention off of the new characters, and you wouldn't care about them anymore. So he proposed that Luke become a kind of MacGuffin for the story. And have him be discovered at the end of the film. Which I'm sure JJ loved. Cause now he had new "mystery box" and bonus! He doesn't have the responsibility of explaining exiled Luke.

And then just my opinion on the "soft reboot" notion. I've never felt like some have that TFA is just rehash/remake of ANH. Sure it has its similarities. But it also has similarities to TPM, ESB, and ROTJ. I just see it as the rhyming, that George talked about years ago.
I think you're referring to JJ's initial ideas about bringing Luke in to the story. In GL's orignal treatment, Luke and Kira (Rey) were in exile guarding a sith tomb that housed an ancient evil (supposedly The Son).

-OWK

The monomyth or hero’s journey is a far cry from what you’ve described, though. The monomyth is a theory that points out how most stories follow a similar structure and contain similar elements, i.e., a mentor character, starting in innocence, refusing the call to adventure at first, facing obstacles, etc. George used it to great effect in the OT and much less so in the PT. For instance, when reading about the structure of the hero’s journey, the phrase used might read “Virgin Birth” as the beginning of the hero’s tale. This is because a; the hero’s journey has many messianic symbols, and b; because it represents the hero starting in innocence, like Luke at the beginning of ANH. Of course, making the prequels, George reads “virgin birth”, and decides to include that literally. Taking specific moments, imagery, and complex plot points from other movies (especially in the same series) is not the monomyth. It’s just lazy writing.

Well we do know from Adam Driver, that Ben's story at least was all mapped out. Or at least he said he's known from the beginning how Ben's story was going to end.

We also know that Palpatine has been the works since at least 2015.
I didn’t...? I mean I think Adam Driver’s comment does ring a bell, where was Palps mentioned?

I think you're referring to JJ's initial ideas about bringing Luke in to the story. In GL's orignal treatment, Luke and Kira (Rey) were in exile guarding a sith tomb that housed an ancient evil (supposedly The Son).

-OWK

I just saw an article in my Google feed. It's untrue. It's based off an article from 2015. It has nothing to do with George's ideas.

-OWK

I don't suppose this what you read?

I missed hat but then again I only watched a handful of those. Did she flat out say that Palpatine is coming back or...?
It was an interview Yahoo Entertainment. If I recall the interview asked her how long they had been thinking about bringing Palpatine back. She says from the beginning, they had been trying to figure out the how and why. If I'd hazard a guess that's why the The Art of The Force Awakens has concept of the Death Star ruins.

It was an interview Yahoo Entertainment. If I recall the interview asked her how long they had been thinking about bringing Palpatine back. She says from the beginning, they had been trying to figure out the how and why. If I'd hazard a guess that's why the The Art of The Force Awakens has concept of the Death Star ruins.
Ah I see thanks. So she said they’ve been thinking about it since 2015 now as opposed to back then. I have certain reservations about that TBH in this case but see how it fits into the narrative when the movie comes out.

Ah I see thanks. So she said they’ve been thinking about it since 2015 now as opposed to back then. I have certain reservations about that TBH in this case but see how it fits into the narrative when the movie comes out.
That would have been 2012. The production team hit the ground running, days after the sale if I recall. So 2013 at least, I'd say that Palpatine has been in the works. I'll check my book when I get home tonight

Yeah that might have been it. It jived with what I remembered reading years ago about a tomb and some such. If it was debunked, I guess my memory is failing faster than my dad's....

-OWK

It's a strange article. He talks about TLJ and TROS, but then he references a 2015 article from Making Star Wars, like it just came out. And to boot it can't be George's ideas because it has Poe and Phasma. Both were developed later in the game.

Here's the first one. Was made February 2013
20190828_182209.jpg

And the second two were made in April 2013.
20190828_182306.jpg

I hope this is the end of the Skywalker Saga. I like how they are exploring different parts of the universe like with the Mandalorian. There is a lot of material to work with.

An Old Republic film series would be really cool IMO.

I’m tired of the Skywalker Saga to be honest. I never really got into the new characters of the latest trilogy. Sadly, part of that was because the old characters took so much space that they never really got their own time to shine.

Rey, to me, is a main character that is still so woefully underdeveloped. I honestly don’t see much difference in her from the first scene she was in to this latest movie. I feel like I hardly know anything about her or her motivations. She hasn’t grown at all. There are NPCs in KOTOR with more character development.

Would you watch a what-if animated star wars series? My friend at APKNite said that the MCU is getting a what-if animated series so why couldn't star wars? I feel there is more than enough ideas to make it worthwhile. Maybe not 23 episodes worth like MCU what-if but enough for 6-10 episodes maybe. What if Anakin didn't get trained? What if Yoda actually succeeded in defeating the emperor? what if the rebels were the bad guys? What if qui-gon lived? Etc

Would you watch a what-if animated star wars series? My friend at APKNite said that the MCU is getting a what-if animated series so why couldn't star wars? I feel there is more than enough ideas to make it worthwhile. Maybe not 23 episodes worth like MCU what-if but enough for 6-10 episodes maybe. What if Anakin didn't get trained? What if Yoda actually succeeded in defeating the emperor? what if the rebels were the bad guys? What if qui-gon lived? Etc
There was a comic book series called Infinities or something. Was all sorts of weird off the wall stuff, dark Leia, white Vader etc...

There was a comic book series called Infinities or something. Was all sorts of weird off the wall stuff, dark Leia, white Vader etc...
Yeah, there was even a story where the author/artist brought Darth Maul back, with a cybernetic lower half, and tracked Kenobi to Tatooine for a final confrontation. Seriously out-there stuff. No way any of it would get into the actual canon.

Wait... Say what now?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back