As nice as it would be to see a kickass Luke, I dont think fans would have minded a wise Luke similar to Yoda either.

Its also crazy how strong marketing is. The sequel trilogy was never marketed as part of the Skywalker saga. If anything, they initially tried to mythologize the OT trio likely with the focus on having Rey and Finn fill their shoes as the new heroes. The "sequel will conclude the Skywalker saga" only came into being with the reveal of the title for episode 9.

In regard to Kennedy's competence or malice question, I lean more toward incompetence mainly due to the fact that she seems to know nothing about Star Wars. Her comments on the movies being hard because there are no "comic books or 800-page novels" is disappointing. Her focus on video games as a source for the stories is silly given that any gamer can tell you that video game stories are mediocre at best and are full of plot holes and retcons (see Red Dead Redemption and the Last of Us for examples of games with "good" story).

Having worked in the games industry for nearly 20 years, along side writers and directors; this explains everything. I've worked with a handful of good ones, with good attitudes and a will to learn and grow, but the overwhelming majority are incompetent down to their atoms, and all of them want the title (of producer or director) more than anything else. None of the rest matters. It's industry-wide, and based on the zoom meeting I had today; it's getting worse.

What I've witnessed first hand, repeatedly:

-the (game) director or producer suck at their jobs
-it's obvious to everyone including studio heads
-an army of dedicated employees spend countless hours, weeknights and weekends at the very end of production, patching things up after failure is written on the walls
-the game is released, makes a ton of $$$
-very few of the "patchers" get credit or recognition
-the studio heads believe the director and producer must have done something right.
-director and producer are praised + given more creative license on the next game
-rinse
-repeat

I can't imagine KK being malicious. Incompetent at that specific position: seems like it. Tired and complacent: looks like it. But I can see the same games industry process happening at D and LFL.

And keep in mind, she's a powerful player with all the connections. You can't just get rid of her because the films under her banner suck. The box office says these films are all major successes.

Whoever wrote that is very, very mistaken.
Whoever wrote it probably worked as a gaffer on the Sequel Trilogy set...

And keep in mind, she's a powerful player with all the connections. You can't just get rid of her because the films under her banner suck. The box office says these films are all major successes.
Keep in mind: the original Terminator movie only made 38 million domestically when released. Just because the box office says something's a success or not doesn't make it so.

Keep in mind: the original Terminator movie only made 38 million domestically when released. Just because the box office says something's a success or not doesn't make it so.
Yeah, sorry. I meant $ucce$$e$, not successes :lol:

I remember 84, it was a big B.O. year.
Do you remember if Terminator was rated R or PG13? I wanna say R but I'm not sure.

Having worked in the games industry for nearly 20 years, along side writers and directors; this explains everything. I've worked with a handful of good ones, with good attitudes and a will to learn and grow, but the overwhelming majority are incompetent down to their atoms, and all of them want the title (of producer or director) more than anything else. None of the rest matters. It's industry-wide, and based on the zoom meeting I had today; it's getting worse.

What I've witnessed first hand, repeatedly:

-the (game) director or producer suck at their jobs
-it's obvious to everyone including studio heads
-an army of dedicated employees spend countless hours, weeknights and weekends at the very end of production, patching things up after failure is written on the walls
-the game is released, makes a ton of $$$
-very few of the "patchers" get credit or recognition
-the studio heads believe the director and producer must have done something right.
-director and producer are praised + given more creative license on the next game
-rinse
-repeat

I can't imagine KK being malicious. Incompetent at that specific position: seems like it. Tired and complacent: looks like it. But I can see the same games industry process happening at D and LFL.

Interesting. No need to answer if you dont feel comfortable but was wondering which game studios you saw this happen?

I do think Naughty Dog seems like one such studio. The Last of Us was honestly ok as a story (its basically children of men but with zombies). There were 2 Directors and one wanted more outlandish things that would have broken the game's "realism" but were ultimately cut. In the sequel, one director left while the other stayed on (the guy with the outlandish ideas) and the sequel was pretty heavily panned for its story. Yet, he gets promoted to co-president.

Yeah, sorry. I meant $ucce$$e$, not successes :lol:

I remember 84, it was a big B.O. year.
Do you remember if Terminator was rated R or PG13? I wanna say R but I'm not sure.
Original Terminator was R, notably due to the violence and the sex scene. Terminator 2 was also rated R. I think Salvation was the first Terminator movie rated PG-13.

The first 'Terminator' came out a couple months after the PG-13 rating debuted.

That was long before theaters were restricting high school kids from getting into R-rated movies. There was no box office incentive to keep that kind of movie in PG-13 territory.

Interesting. No need to answer if you dont feel comfortable but was wondering which game studios you saw this happen?

I do think Naughty Dog seems like one such studio. The Last of Us was honestly ok as a story (its basically children of men but with zombies). There were 2 Directors and one wanted more outlandish things that would have broken the game's "realism" but were ultimately cut. In the sequel, one director left while the other stayed on (the guy with the outlandish ideas) and the sequel was pretty heavily panned for its story. Yet, he gets promoted to co-president.

Original Terminator was R, notably due to the violence and the sex scene. Terminator 2 was also rated R. I think Salvation was the first Terminator movie rated PG-13.
I know who you mean by the Director who left. And there you go; other guy got promoted. Typical.

I don't want to go too far off-topic, but first-hand: 3 studios within Activision and 3 within EA. Some studios had/have multiple teams working on different projects. A few went well, most didn't.

And when employees leave for other publishers or transfer to other internal studios; the stories are usually the same.

2 projects ago, most of my stuff was packed and I was a week away from giving my notice. The project I had just wrapped had been spearhead by people who had been promoted after failing on the previous project. There was no sign that they were going anywhere, so I planned my exit.

Then some pretty darn qualified individuals showed up, and I decided to stay a few more weeks. That was 6 years ago. Eventually those failed individuals either left on their own or were promoted to other studios (...).

We shipped that game, it was a ma$$ive success, then we started the follow-up (which ships in the Fall). Then Covid hit. Incredibly, most of this last one was done while WFH. However, because of the initial reluctance from the studio to allow certain employees to WFH on a more regular basis, we ended losing good people to studios who adopted the idea right away. Consequently, to stop the hemorrhaging and retain as many employees as they could, some got promoted to positions they weren't qualified for - it's an old song.

We've witnessed inexperience and incompetence, which are two different things. The inexperienced are willing to learn - the incompetents not so much (because they already know everything). So we've seen frequent disruptions in the process due to fresh incompetence.

I personally worked with contractors, a few of which work with LFL on D+ shows on a regular basis, and I've heard on-set stories that parallel some of those in the games biz. Some were pretty damning.

I have such a hard time watching these videos when the people who are in front of the camera are obnoxious like this guy was. Decent and interesting content but I just wanted someone (really anyone) else to speak.

Yep that's one of those people I watch about 30 secs and just go "Nope". That's why having a charismatic person often wins out over better info on Youtube.

I love X-wings. Have since the moment I saw Star Wars in 97. And I have been searching for years for the perfect background wallpaper for my computer that is X-wing themed. Today I finally found it. And I feel so stupid. It's been literally in front of my nose all these years.
Untitled.png

I mean who doesn't want to be flying down the trench run in an X-wing every time they sit down at their computer?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back