Oh I'm sure they'll have them dueling pre-ANH before Disney is done. Who cares that encountering each other on the Death Star was supposed to be the first time they've seen each other for 20 years?
Yeah but Old Ben's memories were flakey at best..
They probably met up at Starbucks every second Tuesday for a chilling frappe..

By the time Disney is finished with Kenobi it will be Vader urging him to take Luke and Leia from him as Tarkin won't give him time off The Deathstar
to take them to kindergarten..

Yeah but Old Ben's memories were flakey at best..
They probably met up at Starbucks every second Tuesday for a chilling frappe..

By the time Disney is finished with Kenobi it will be Vader urging him to take Luke and Leia from him as Tarkin won't give him time off The Deathstar
to take them to kindergarten..
The empire understands how important parenting is...

I expect there will be close calls and stretched coincidences, where IF ONLY one thing had changed Vader and Obi would have come together in some fashion, but I don't expect they will actually toss out too many old assumptions.

But it might be healthy to regard most of what we've assumed but not had spelled out on screen exactly that way, as an assumption. Hold too tight to your dogma and destroy you it will, just like the jedi... ;)

There are three big premises about Obi-Wan from ANH that I don't wanna see overturned:

#1 - He was hiding out on Tatooine. That means he's not doing Zoom calls with the Rebel Alliance. Leia turned to him at the beginning of ANH because she was out of options and they were above the planet where he was last seen. She probably didn't even know if he was still alive or not.

#2 - He was not seeing much of Luke before ANH. Certainly not training him. I'm scared that they will make it a Marty/Doc Brown relationship now. That is not what we see in ANH.

#3 - No confrontations with Vader, period. Preferably no contact at all.

It might be better to just leave the most beloved OT characters and lore completely alone. Instead of purposefully playing on people's emotions to get a strong reaction, positive or negative. Controversial retcons will sell no matter what but so will new excellent original writing and content. I'd prefer the latter.

Lucasfilm will show its true colors with this Obi-Wan series more so than any of the other announced projects. I would wager that more SW fans will probably be watching this than anything else SW coming our way. How they handle it will give an indication of future projects and if they learned anything at all from the ST, the standalone films, the Mandalorian and the High Republic. This could bring fans together or it could further the division. I'd prefer the former, I'm genuinely sick of the the arguing and bitterness among fans who supposedly love the same things.

From a certain point of view, this is heavily retreading the complaints about the PT as far as filling in holes that didn't need to be filled and challenging assumptions that have been long held.

There's always going to be inherent risk in expanding lore in multiple directions chronologically and across multiple creators, not everything is going to jive perfectly and not every fan is going to like everything under the label, that's fine.

I'm never going to begrudge the fans who can stan every episode of TCW, Rebels, Resistance and TBB, on top of the live action stuff, despite not being able to be that fan anymore. It's ok if not every show is homerun must-watch tv for everyone. I have high hopes for the Obi Wan show, and they've really done well with The Mandalorian so far. I don't foresee them screwing it up at this point.

Yeah part of me wants to know everything, but part of me wants the period between ROTS and ANH to stay a little fuzzy. We don't know where any other Jedi who survived are because they either listened and went dark or they're dead. I would however like to hear Holonet reports or maybe posters showing/talking about Jedi who were captured or killed. We know that was going on, so it would be more of a creep factor to see that in the background. Other than that I don't need to have everyone interconnected more than they are or explaining where Greedo bought that snazzy outfit prior to going to the Cantina.

Yeah, there are ways to pull off the small interconnected universe thing, like Tales from Jabba's Palace. When you cram too many connections into the filmic stories it can cause the whole thing to lose its grandeur.

There are three big premises about Obi-Wan from ANH that I don't wanna see overturned:

#1 - He was hiding out on Tatooine. That means he's not doing Zoom calls with the Rebel Alliance. Leia turned to him at the beginning of ANH because she was out of options and they were above the planet where he was last seen. She probably didn't even know if he was still alive or not.

#2 - He was not seeing much of Luke before ANH. Certainly not training him. I'm scared that they will make it a Marty/Doc Brown relationship now. That is not what we see in ANH.

#3 - No confrontations with Vader, period. Preferably no contact at all.

Re: #1, it's been a while since I watched it in full, but I seem to recall that Rogue One had a scene where Bail asked Leia to take the plans to Obi-Wan. Or at least, it was strongly implied. I mean, remember in her original message she describes it as "my mission to bring you to Alderaan" so it's not as if she just happened to drop out of hyperspace over Tatooine and say "Wait....don't we know a dude who lives here?" With that in mind, it would make sense that he's retained some kind of secret connection with Bail Organa, and that's why Leia was sent to get him.

From a certain point of view, this is heavily retreading the complaints about the PT as far as filling in holes that didn't need to be filled and challenging assumptions that have been long held.

There's always going to be inherent risk in expanding lore in multiple directions chronologically and across multiple creators, not everything is going to jive perfectly and not every fan is going to like everything under the label, that's fine.

I'm never going to begrudge the fans who can stan every episode of TCW, Rebels, Resistance and TBB, on top of the live action stuff, despite not being able to be that fan anymore. It's ok if not every show is homerun must-watch tv for everyone. I have high hopes for the Obi Wan show, and they've really done well with The Mandalorian so far. I don't foresee them screwing it up at this point.
I'm similarly optimistic. I haven't seen nor loved every episode of TCW, but TCW as a whole got me to appreciate the worldbuilding of the PT (and create a halo effect for at least ROTS and parts of AOTC). I love The Mandalorian, and really enjoyed the first season of Rebels, but haven't seen the rest of it. Still, I think Disney has had good luck with its shows. The films have been...uneven, and the ST was mismanaged (and I don't really love JJ's entries, even though I love the characters). But the TV stuff? They've been pretty solid all around.

Luke's appearance in The Mandalorian wasn't especially upsetting to established continuity, so I kinda doubt they're gonna have Obi-Wan joining the Big Brothers and Sisters of Tatooine program or something and mentoring little Luke when he isn't off flying around the galaxy saving the day. Like, I don't think they're gonna push it that far.

Does canon even really matter at this point? It used to be whatever George said back in the day, but even his word means very little when he can't make up his mind. Things haven't changed in that regard since the acquisition.

5lc47z.jpg

Oh right, I forgot about that anthology. I have mixed feelings about that particular revelation. I always liked the idea of Jedi Leia though.
Funny enough, Leia ended up running black ops missions for the Rebellion, while Luke piddled around a dirt farm with his head in the stars.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back