Or perhaps those weren't guns at all according to the model makers. They could have easily been antenna. Not to mention are the Y-Wings even shown firing a single laser blast?

If there is only one pilot in the ship wouldn't it be really difficult to fire behind them while flying the opposite direction at hundreds of miles an hour?

Isn't it really a matter of explaining away a problem that never existed in the first place?

I find it pretty telling that you seek out insignificant nit picks with the originals that are easily explained away with basic logic but you go to extreme lengths to defend The last Jedi as though it were flawless.
It's always been a gun turret.
igpUJaZ0qK8Mc8eecSPTHYz6A-wlEEqQA82nXx2ez_g.jpg

6ee3c9996585015d2cf9c1ee4357640e.png

b0bfc686bb4569391102870ce82a4c13.jpg

EHVj3soXYAIBorI.jpg

I mean they have droids, and computerized targeting systems. I don't see why the two rear Y-wings couldn't have used their turrets. Hence the Legends explanation that the ion cannons are finicky.

Well, Ralph's original illustrations showed us a craft much like the one in early Clone Wars -- rear gunner in a big bubble turret. As it got refined, they ditched the back seat due to the added cost in set-building that would've meant, scaled down the turret to not look so out-of-place, and kept the guns as a lighter backup to the main front-facing cannons. Somewhere in there came a snippet of lore that in keeping them steerable while removing the gunner (still present in the two-seat version), it created too much of a distraction for many pilots and on most ships the turret lasers were fixed forward to supplement or back up the main guns. But some pilots had the mechanics fix them facing back to cover an otherwise blind arc. Alas, again, none of those were in the first trench run.

I think West End Games, in '87, were the first to make them ion cannons, which carried over to the X-Wing video game, and so on from there.

In my personal "from a certain point of view" take on things, I like to say that, as a turret-mounted weapon, it's far easier to swap between the two, and that by the time of the Battle of Yavin, some had lasers, some ion cannons, mostly due to pilot preference. With all the EU and animated series have added, I'd love to see a "remastered" battle where some of the Y-Wings are two-seaters, some are one-seaters, some have ion cannons in the turrets, some lasers, some gunnerless ships with the turrets fixed toward the back... I like that the Rebel craft they made were all decoed uniquely (prior to the Special Edition), but at the same time I feel an opportunity was missed to visually show the difference between the clean and uniform Empire and the cobbled-together Rebellion with more physical variation between craft...

And more craft in general -- that Stormtrooper officer did mention thirty Rebel ships, of which we only ever saw twelve or so. Given the mixed fighter squadron/groups in ROTJ, I like to think Red Jammer was always just offscreen as, say, Red Seven or Nine -- heard calling in, but never shown. The only physical ships built for the hangar were one X-Wing decoed as Red One, and one Y-Wing with yellow markings based on the Red Jammer (none of the Gold Group filming miniatures except Red Jammer have that one gray panel on the left side of the nose). So I have to discount who's climbing into which ship -- they're all Red One or Gold [mumble] (and, further, Red One has Artoo in the droid socket for all the shots of other pilots getting aboard, and the Y-Wing has the non-droid domed lump aft of the cockpit seen on the early miniature). But the background pilots running around and mounting up as engines are spooling up with the blue-anchor helmets? Two get in the X-Wing and one gets in the Y-Wing (everything is quick intercuts between those three extras). Some two-seat Y-Wings or even a Z-95 Headhunter or two would make things more interesting. But anyway.

[Sidebar: Ugh. ******* George. Just rewatched the Battle of Yavin from the hangar through the check-in to verify which Red Group pilots call un but we never see in any form. I pay more attention to the background elements these days, like the Arabic numbers counting down on the Death Star's main tactical screen to where the full-scale fighters are placed as backdrops for the characters' interactions in the hangar -- and noting continuity glitches therein -- and just noticed a new (to me) bit of PA gabble: "Gold Squadron, begin takeoff procedure." This is on Disney+. I'm not where I can check on any of my other versions of the film at the moment, so if someone felt like revisiting the scene (when Artoo is getting loaded in Luke's fighter as he's boarding) and letting me know if I just missed it all these years, I'd appreciate it. I know all the sound mixes, and how some things got lost for years because it was a rear-channel track that got dropped from home-video, etc., but none of the gabble is in the script, so I don't know if it's original or new with this version. It would be the only time the word "squadron" shows up in Star Wars -- everywhere else it's "group". Ugh.]

Fair enough. Though I still think it's a fairly insignificant nit pick compared to major problems in later installments.

Well, Ralph's original illustrations showed us a craft much like the one in early Clone Wars -- rear gunner in a big bubble turret. As it got refined, they ditched the back seat due to the added cost in set-building that would've meant, scaled down the turret to not look so out-of-place, and kept the guns as a lighter backup to the main front-facing cannons. Somewhere in there came a snippet of lore that in keeping them steerable while removing the gunner (still present in the two-seat version), it created too much of a distraction for many pilots and on most ships the turret lasers were fixed forward to supplement or back up the main guns. But some pilots had the mechanics fix them facing back to cover an otherwise blind arc. Alas, again, none of those were in the first trench run.

I think West End Games, in '87, were the first to make them ion cannons, which carried over to the X-Wing video game, and so on from there.

In my personal "from a certain point of view" take on things, I like to say that, as a turret-mounted weapon, it's far easier to swap between the two, and that by the time of the Battle of Yavin, some had lasers, some ion cannons, mostly due to pilot preference. With all the EU and animated series have added, I'd love to see a "remastered" battle where some of the Y-Wings are two-seaters, some are one-seaters, some have ion cannons in the turrets, some lasers, some gunnerless ships with the turrets fixed toward the back... I like that the Rebel craft they made were all decoed uniquely (prior to the Special Edition), but at the same time I feel an opportunity was missed to visually show the difference between the clean and uniform Empire and the cobbled-together Rebellion with more physical variation between craft...

And more craft in general -- that Stormtrooper officer did mention thirty Rebel ships, of which we only ever saw twelve or so. Given the mixed fighter squadron/groups in ROTJ, I like to think Red Jammer was always just offscreen as, say, Red Seven or Nine -- heard calling in, but never shown. The only physical ships built for the hangar were one X-Wing decoed as Red One, and one Y-Wing with yellow markings based on the Red Jammer (none of the Gold Group filming miniatures except Red Jammer have that one gray panel on the left side of the nose). So I have to discount who's climbing into which ship -- they're all Red One or Gold [mumble] (and, further, Red One has Artoo in the droid socket for all the shots of other pilots getting aboard, and the Y-Wing has the non-droid domed lump aft of the cockpit seen on the early miniature). But the background pilots running around and mounting up as engines are spooling up with the blue-anchor helmets? Two get in the X-Wing and one gets in the Y-Wing (everything is quick intercuts between those three extras). Some two-seat Y-Wings or even a Z-95 Headhunter or two would make things more interesting. But anyway.

[Sidebar: Ugh. ******* George. Just rewatched the Battle of Yavin from the hangar through the check-in to verify which Red Group pilots call un but we never see in any form. I pay more attention to the background elements these days, like the Arabic numbers counting down on the Death Star's main tactical screen to where the full-scale fighters are placed as backdrops for the characters' interactions in the hangar -- and noting continuity glitches therein -- and just noticed a new (to me) bit of PA gabble: "Gold Squadron, begin takeoff procedure." This is on Disney+. I'm not where I can check on any of my other versions of the film at the moment, so if someone felt like revisiting the scene (when Artoo is getting loaded in Luke's fighter as he's boarding) and letting me know if I just missed it all these years, I'd appreciate it. I know all the sound mixes, and how some things got lost for years because it was a rear-channel track that got dropped from home-video, etc., but none of the gabble is in the script, so I don't know if it's original or new with this version. It would be the only time the word "squadron" shows up in Star Wars -- everywhere else it's "group". Ugh.]
I have the digital versions from iTunes. And the Gold Squadron is definitely called out.

I have the digital versions from iTunes. And the Gold Squadron is definitely called out.
That's still the most recent edition, though, right? I need to dust off and hook up my VCR and LDP to check my Special Edition video tapes and ILM Definitive Edition ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) LDs and can't at present. Trying to see if it was there pre-2010, pre-2004, pre-1997...

That's still the most recent edition, though, right? I need to dust off and hook up my VCR and LDP to check my Special Edition video tapes and ILM Definitive Edition ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) LDs and can't at present. Trying to see if it was there pre-2010, pre-2004, pre-1997...

Yo, I just busted out SW Despecialized and the "Gold Squadron" blurb is in there. Dunno if that helps any. (I'm guessing not, since it was cobbled from so many sources.)

and just noticed a new (to me) bit of PA gabble: "Gold Squadron, begin takeoff procedure." This is on Disney+. I'm not where I can check on any of my other versions of the film at the moment, so if someone felt like revisiting the scene (when Artoo is getting loaded in Luke's fighter as he's boarding) and letting me know if I just missed it all these years, I'd appreciate it
It's in the 4K77 version, just as Luke is climbing into the cockpit. It's also in the DVD "bonus" LD cut.

That's starting to seem fairly definitive it's a channel that wasn't included on the VHS tapes I wore out as a kid, but dates all the way back. So now we have canon evidence in the original film that George uses squadron and group interchangeably. *sigh* Yippee...

That's starting to seem fairly definitive it's a channel that wasn't included on the VHS tapes I wore out as a kid, but dates all the way back. So now we have canon evidence in the original film that George uses squadron and group interchangeably. *sigh* Yippee...
4K77 includes the 35mm mono and stereo tracks as well as the 70mm six track and the line is in all of them.

The old lore re: Y-wings is that they varied based on the model.

The original model is introduced as a fighter-bomber during the clone wars and has all its panels. You can see this in the Clone Wars cartoon, actually. That model did indeed include a rear-facing gunner, mimicking the function of gunners such as those in the Ju-87, Me-110, the TBF Avenger, and various other torpedo bombers from WWII.

Later models apparently did away with the rear-facing gunner, and locked the guns forward because the auto-targeting system was finicky and didn't always work right.

In gaming history, the X-wing/TIE Fighter series of games locks the guns forward, as does every other iteration I've ever played, up until Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) where you can mount a second rear-facing gunner. In Battlefront 2 (2017) the guns auto-track and are a special ability (and my personal favorite ship in the game).

But yeah, they eventually invented in-world canon to explain the cannons. ;)

With those windows under the back guns like that, it really looks like the Y-wing ought to be a two-seater ship, with a gunner facing backwards like the snowspeeder.
20200706_090111.jpg

It's also interesting to note. That Snowspeeder at one point was going to be a modified Y-wing cockpit.
tumblr_ng12yn8sgg1s2wio8o4_1280.jpg
EHa5zXEXYAAGyAT.jpg

The old lore re: Y-wings is that they varied based on the model.

The original model is introduced as a fighter-bomber during the clone wars and has all its panels. You can see this in the Clone Wars cartoon, actually. That model did indeed include a rear-facing gunner, mimicking the function of gunners such as those in the Ju-87, Me-110, the TBF Avenger, and various other torpedo bombers from WWII.

Later models apparently did away with the rear-facing gunner, and locked the guns forward because the auto-targeting system was finicky and didn't always work right.

In gaming history, the X-wing/TIE Fighter series of games locks the guns forward, as does every other iteration I've ever played, up until Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) where you can mount a second rear-facing gunner. In Battlefront 2 (2017) the guns auto-track and are a special ability (and my personal favorite ship in the game).

But yeah, they eventually invented in-world canon to explain the cannons. ;)
I love the Y-Wing in both Battlefronts.

What do you think of Star Wars Squadrons? I was recently playing X-wing Alliance when the announced the game. So I'm on Rebel Starship high right now. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back