A little thing I just noticed. I managed to miss it all this time Was just watching Solo again When Han runs into Qi'ra again on Vos' yacht, one of the hostesses came up to them. Qi'ra asked if she'd been being attentive to Dok-Ondar. I hadn't caught th ename on previous viewings. Makes me wonder now what the humble purveyor of antiquities 45 years later was doing with Crimson Dawn back then. Have we gotten anything on that in any of the ancillary material?

I'm talking about it from a visual perspective. It looks cool. Does it make sense. No. Just like it makes no logical sense to have Ben Kenobi's desert robes be merely a modified style of PT era Jedi robes. It doesn't change the fact that they look cool. I'm merely pointing out the pieces I did enjoy from the movie, even if the movie on the whole made no sense and was bad.

I've seen some photoshopped Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon pics... somewhere... years ago, where they had black shirts, off-black/charcoal inner robes, and darker brown cloaks -- a la Luke's ROTJ costume and the concept art for Ep1 Obi-Wan before Qui-Gon existed. It looked goooooood. *heh*

And Fixer was a Bad Boy Jedi with leather well before the Prequels came along...

1591080516468.png

I remember from early drafts that the mentor character (which became Obi-Wan) was described as wearing "the robes of the old religion". Lucas drew from those early drafts all throughout the making of the prequels.

On the other hand, Star Wars' (1977) script describes Obi-Wan as a "shabby old desert-rat-of-a-man". And it would have made a lot of sense for him to wear clothing according to the local custom.

Two different ideas for his outfit ... Who knows what Lucas thought in preproduction for The Phantom Menace.

Either way, I do love the prequel "Jedi robe" outfit. A monk's robe has the right vibe, a samurai-style kimono has the right vibe, and of course a Jedi should have leather boots and a utility belt: that is so Star Wars.

The early drafts also didn't have the mentor in hiding, as such, as much as just pulled a Luke -- run away and no one knew where. As he ended up, he was definitely trying to avoid detection, so still wearing Jedi robes would not be smart.

I do wish they'd been able to leave Luke's sleeveless kimono long for ROTJ. That was such a good look. And also monastic. I feel like it's something that could have been incorporated into the story. Hopefully, talking about monastic habits won't get me smacked with the "no religion" banhammer...

In early days, monks wore whatever, and usually stuff that was donated by the peasantry, so lots of undyed, unbleached natural fiber tones or simple vegetable dyes. Off-white through brown were prominent. So some precedent there for Obi-Wan's ANH garb being something like that. But time passed and the monasteries grew in power and prestige, and traditions codified and each order identified itself with colors chosen to express the philosophy or commitment of that particular community. By the twelfth century, the habits of the orders had become distinctive uniforms. Since they'd been around and associated with the Republic for thousands of years, I expect the Jedi would have something similar in play.

We've got three broad groups out here in the real world. Benedictines were the most organized and widespread order. They eventually settled on black as their habit color and became known as "the black monks." True black robes required dye so the adoption of a processed color may have signified the relative wealth of the Benedictine communities, without refuting ideals of monastic humility and simplicity by embracing an ostentatious -- and more expensive -- color like red or blue. Cistercians follow the Rule of St. Benedict but their practices are more severe and, unlike the Benedictines, Cistercians wear undyed robes that range in hue from grayish-white to light brown. The undyed wool of their tunics and cowls is a mark of their poverty. Despite the fact that none of their garments are exactly white, Cistercians are called "white monks" to distinguish them from the more worldly Benedictines. A reform monastery of Cistercians is today known as the Trappists, who wear a stark white tunic under a black scapular to signify their strict adherence to monastic life.

Carthusians followed their own Rule, rather than that of St. Benedict, and were an order of mostly contemplative monks. They wore undyed white wool robes with white scapulars or cowls. They were also known as "white monks". People back then weren't too creative.

Dominicans wear white tunics to reflect traditional garb of teachers and represent purity. Tunics are belted in black leather and, for them, their white scapular is a blessed shield of protection from the Virgin Mary, rather than a protective apron for their robes.

Brown went in and out of fashion in general, but the Carmelites chose brown wool and stayed with it as a reminder of the cross on which ****** was crucified and of the humility of the soil of the earth. The sturdy brown robes are held together with a leather cincture, a visible sign of the vow of chastity the monks take when entering the order. The other main group who stuck with brown were the Franciscans. They embrace a life of extreme poverty and their original brown robes reflected the destitution of the peasants they served. Their robes were the ones most often made of cloth and old clothing donated by those peasants, who always wore undyed brown. The color brown also symbolizes the Franciscan commitment to protect the earth and nature and to contribute to society.

Franciscans and Dominicans are technically friars and not monks, but it all serves as a general pool of inspiration for possible approaches to how the Jedi Order might work. There could have been one single uniform. There could have been several, depending on one school of thought or another. What we ended up with is more of a chaotic mess of non-uniform-but-yes-robes. Gotta have the robes. For some reason. I feel like the Jedi needed to be identifiable by their garb, rather than their lightsabers. I also feel that they're far too trigger-happy in the Prequels. For a group with a credo of "the Force is used for knowledge and defense, never for attack", they sure are the ones to draw first in the majority of the situations we see in that trilogy.

It would have been nice if maybe Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were "Jedi Carmelites or Franciscans" -- humble and all about service -- while the Council, when we saw them, all wore blacks and near-blacks, like the Benedictines -- being closer to the center of political power and being more worldly.

...Theeeeee... utterly pointless energy doors? Where Obi-Wan suddenly forgot about his Force-speed that he used earlier in that very film?

You'd feel pretty stupid if you ran right into one though.

That always bugged so much that the Tatooine garb became the official Jedi uniform. So I guess that means uncle Owen was a Jedi Knight too? :unsure:

Well supposedly the Jedi are adopting what common people in the galaxy wear so they are humble. I'm guessing at the time they were filming SW it came down to cost of the costumes.

I think that area they were fighting in was producing power for the city, so they're probably there for a reason to contain something.

I recall reading years ago that the in-universe BS for why there were multiple shields was basically superstition - the Naboo believed that that power plant should have 7 shields based upon myth or something like that. (My brain and the rest of me is fried today so that number might be off and I'm too tired to check Wook but I'm pretty sure I didn't pull this out of my butt.)

Ok, so, I've been getting my daughter into Star Wars. She's currently loving Return of the Jedi. We've been listening to...well, various audio versions of it (storybook record, "The Story of" record that uses movie dialogue, and the radio drama). This has raised a question for me, due to Lucas'...writing.

So, Luke shows upon Dagobah intending to complete his training. Yoda says "No more training do you require. Already know that which you need." Luke says "Then I am a Jedi" and Yoda checks him and tells him he has to confront Vader before he's truly a Jedi. Uh.....ok....?

Then when Luke asks for confirmation that Vader's his dad, Yoda says it's unfortunate that he rushed to face Vader before his training was complete.

So let me get this straight. Luke was being trained and needed more training before he confronted Vader. But Luke doesn't require any more training in ROTJ because he knows everything he needs. But he's not a Jedi because he has to confront Vader again which he shouldn't have done earlier because he wasn't finished training even though now he knows everything.

WTF?!

So, what was Luke's extra training supposed to be then? Simulations of Vader confrontations? More mental discipline? And if he needed it then, why doesn't he need it now? What changed between ESB and ROTJ that confers upon him the training necessary? Or was the original assertion that he needed more training just BS and Yoda was just worried Luke would flip to the dark side when Vader said "I'm yer daddy"?

The only thing I can come up with is that confronting Vader was a huge moment for Luke and it changed what he needed as a Jedi-in-Training, but he would've had....some other kind of training (likely in mental discipline) if he'd stayed on Dagobah.

But in reality, it's really just that Lucas was sick of the whole thing, and this is yet another example of him wanting to wrap things up more abruptly than they would have done naturally.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back