John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

You've worked on films that cover everything from pure science fiction to Meiji Era Japan. Do you find there's a huge difference in working on props based in reality versus the fantasy world? Which do you prefer working on?

Hi John,

I'd really be curious to know the lead times that you are given for prop production for a film and how budget constraints affect the design/fabrication process.

Cheers!

Jerome

Hello,

iam jeroen from the Netherlands my question is,how much creative freedom do you have,how did you get involved at weta? and is there any change to visit the weta workshop?

Good luck with your career!

jeroen geertman.
framedprops.com

Making Props that look good is a difficult and tedious process (especially with little greebles and such)

So, that in mind. What inspires/inspired you to work on props?

That, and the classic, which has been your favourite prop that you've made?

I have noticed many props and models being constructed digitally then printed off on a 3D printer for molding/casting.

How much "hands on" craftsmanship still goes into model/prop making at the studio level.

Also,

As we continually see ever increasing digital props, is there a breaking point where constructing and filming a physical model/prop will still be more cost effective than a modeling team and render farm?

Hi John - I just decided to join the hobby, and while I admire and envy your skills and those of many other skilled and talented prop makers here, I have not yet developed any true model-making skills of my own. As a child, I was pretty good at glueing molded plastic parts together and giving them decent paint jobs. Beyond that, the most I ever did was heat-bend styrene and use dremel tools to modify or scratch-build customized/accurized parts and solder together wires, metal plates, and tubes. I've never cast parts in resin or sculpted anything in clay, nor do I have machining or woodworking skills.

So here's my two-part question:
  1. Would you be able to recommend a skill-building path for a novice like me? That is, what should I start with, and should I develop several skills concurrently, or focus on just one or two and build my skill to an expert level?
  2. Based on your answer to the first part, what list of tools, instruments, equipment, and materials should I invest in?
Thanks!

Val

How often do props "disappear". Whats the craziest way someone has tried to walk away with a prop. Are there some props still out there "missing".

What are some of your go to tools, and do you have any custom tools?
Where do you draw your inspiration from to keep concepts fresh?

Hi John,

Who at Weta should I bribe (and how much?), in order to obtain good reference pics of the Prawn space helmet props? :D

thanks,
Martyn

Do you ever look at other araes of work within the film industry and think - 'I'd like to have a go at that!'

Also when you have spent a long time on a prop, especially a hero prop, and it becomes heavily damaged doe it bother you or do you just see it as part of the process!?!

When you encounter a young person who is obviously not a good fit for the type of work you do, yet they insist they NEED to be in special effects/prop building to be complete as a human being, what do you tell them?

with projects having to be within a certain budget, and short delivery times, How much joy or frustration do you get from prop-building ?

Since we are on a Replica Prop Forum and this discussion pops up here every once in a while, I thought so let's ask a Pro.

If you where going to create a prop replica (something you didn't create/ design yourself) , would you create an "exact replica" of a prop (as if it came straight from the prop dept.) or as it appears on screen.

Last edited:
Is the atmosphere around Weta more of a lighthearted "lets get this done, but have fun while doing it" or more of a serious atmosphere?

Cheers,
-John-

Hey John,
THanks for taking the time to answer a few questions

Just a quick one, with the amazing Halo short trailers that you guys have done, have you gone at them with the intention that the props/designs also be used for an upcoming Halo movie or going to take a different angle with it with regards to props/designs (well as much as possible with in the same universe as Halo)?

Also another one if thats ok, how did Weta first come to know/join the RPF and what was the reaction of most there about a group of us crazy people :p

Thanks
Karl

How did you get your job as the Weta Senior Modelmaker? and how do I get your job?

what was some of the hardest props to make from the films you worked on?

I have two questions for you, sir:

1. How much work, if any, has Weta done for the long-trapped-in-Hollywood-Hell film of "The Hobbit?"

2. I absolutely love the Dr. Grordbort ray guns and I was wondering if there were any plans for other weapons lines. For example, I am reading a series of novels by Jeff Somers, about a dystopian future hitman named Avery Cates. (The books are an unholy cross between William Gibson and Terry Pratchett.) I would love to see a Dr. Grordbort's treatment of Avery's weapon of choice, the Roon handgun.

Thanks so much for coming here to answer some of our questions!!

While there are significant differences between the props from one production to another, is there an effort to reuse or incorporate any of the designs or design elements from one production to another?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back