John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

I have noticed many props and models being constructed digitally then printed off on a 3D printer for molding/casting.

How much "hands on" craftsmanship still goes into model/prop making at the studio level.

Also,

As we continually see ever increasing digital props, is there a breaking point where constructing and filming a physical model/prop will still be more cost effective than a modeling team and render farm?

Hi RCB

Yes, 3D printing and modeling is here now and is just another tool ... and I don't think props will disappear

Cheers

John

Hi John - I just decided to join the hobby, and while I admire and envy your skills and those of many other skilled and talented prop makers here, I have not yet developed any true model-making skills of my own. As a child, I was pretty good at glueing molded plastic parts together and giving them decent paint jobs. Beyond that, the most I ever did was heat-bend styrene and use dremel tools to modify or scratch-build customized/accurized parts and solder together wires, metal plates, and tubes. I've never cast parts in resin or sculpted anything in clay, nor do I have machining or woodworking skills.

So here's my two-part question:
  1. Would you be able to recommend a skill-building path for a novice like me? That is, what should I start with, and should I develop several skills concurrently, or focus on just one or two and build my skill to an expert level?
  2. Based on your answer to the first part, what list of tools, instruments, equipment, and materials should I invest in?
Thanks!

Val

Hi Val

It sounds like you have a good base of skills already, other than the casting and sculpting that's all I do. It is probably a good idea to gain woodworking skills and if you know someone with a metal lathe get them to teach you how to use it. Base tools are; a craft knife, dremel, sculpting tools, sandpaper, files (small jewelers files) superglue, body filler, a drill

Cheers

John

How often do props "disappear". Whats the craziest way someone has tried to walk away with a prop. Are there some props still out there "missing".

Hi Hawaiiangb,

I'm sure there are props out there that have been stolen, but the craziest wasn't a prop, but a quad bike on set that was found stashed in a bush

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Who at Weta should I bribe (and how much?), in order to obtain good reference pics of the Prawn space helmet props? :D

thanks,
Martyn

Hi Nwerke

Keep hassling Tim Launder. He has that info (or can get it). But it will cost you a lot !!!! :lol even your soul.

Thanks

John

Hi Jerome

They differ so much from job to job. Give me an example of a prop and I will get back to you.

Thanks

John

John,

Thanks for the response to all the questions. It's been extremely informative to get this kind of insight from a working professional.

For an example let's say something like the Hellboy Samaritan (just because I love that film so much) as compared to the Avatar guns.

I'm just curious as I work as a professional jeweler and we're always under the gun regarding time frame and production cost. I always prefer to use the absolute best method to produce a given product and even though we use advanced methods like stereolithography to produce patterns sometimes the old fashioned method of hand fabrication from raw materials produces a better quality end product, even though it often takes more time.

Back when I worked as a designer in the bicycle industry we often used the old saying "Fast, good, cheap- pick any two." Does that apply to your profession as well?

Another question I just thought of:
I've been working on animatronics a lot lately (specifically in costumes) and it seems that the standard in the film industry is to use R/C radio systems that are operated by a performer off screen. Are there ever any systems in use that are operated by the actor on screen?

Thanks again!

Jerome

As a professional prop maker , what tips or advice ,would you give to someone interested in starting a career in that same profession ? Darn , I see that this question has already been asked and answered !! May I ask what you think was your biggest achievement in this profession ,and what was your first break in getting into this career ?

Last edited:
when your studio is called to do a large assortment of props ( ex: a sci-fi film ) what steps do you take or ways to come up with a design fitting enough for the films ?

one more i been drawing up alot of sketches based on imagination and i would like to learn the proper tech for learning how to cast a mold for something any ideas ?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back