John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

I have seen some screen used props close up and own a few and they do not seem to look like alot of work went into them compared to a prop that is seen close up. What determines which props used in a movie gets more detail and what determines which get less? What Are your most favorite props and do they share space in your collection.

John,

Should you manage to make it this far, can you please tell me....

Are you sorry that you volunteered to answer 4 million questions on the RPF?? LOL

Oh and on a more serious point, are we going to condense this down, as a lot of the questions in one way or another cover the same subjects. Surely we cannot expect this chap to sit through and answer every single one of them??

My question is somewhat simple.....

What do you do in your spare time when not creating props for movies or other projects?

I'm picturing something totally crazy like parachuting or bungee jumping.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer our questions and keep up the great work!!

cheers

Here's my question:

With the high budget of many films, do you make props (use materials) that will stand the test of time? Or just until the production is over. Thanks.

John,

One of the best WETA props was the Goliathon 800 Moon Hater.
I was offer to purchase this item 1 of 3 for around $6500.00 almost two years ago.
Do you think WETA will ever come out with a limited edition of this model at a lower price ?
I almost bought this item, but was hesitant because of the economy.

Thank you,
Mike

Have you ever noticed yourself getting sucked into the business aspect of prop making and forgetting the reason you got into it in the first place? What do you do to bring that passion back?

Since many have already asked the question I would ask...that leaves me only one question.....

John....why are you so angry in your pic? Does making props make you angry?
;)

Hello Mr. Harvey!

It's obvious that many members here would do just about anything to be in the prop industry, because it means artistically going from something as simple as a drawing or an idea to a real object you can touch. But even as a supervisor, what are the limits on your creativity? Is there ever someone in the bigger movies who will trash an idea of yours and tell you it needs to be started over?

Also, I like cwabby's and The Dude's questions. ^__^

Mr. Harvey;
We prop builders/collectors love to show off what we've got. I've spoken too & met guys who carry around or wear some of their props(specially Whovians & their sonics).

My question is, is do you have a favourite prop that you carry around when you leave the house/shop?

Regards;
~Z

Hello Mr Harvey
If you could pick any movie that you did not work on That you really wanted to make props for, Which movie would that be and what sort of props.
Thanks

What advice can you give to us aspiring prop builders to achieve a career in the prop industry?

Or

What is your favorite prop out of all that you have made?

Last edited:
I tend to only do this as a hobby, but its still pretty standard for me to put 40+ hours a week into making my replicas and props. Despite this essentially being a second job, I still step back after large steps are taken in my process and jump around like a 10 year old opening a shiny new toy. Its not uncommon for me, a 28 year old man, to walk around with a half-finished gun painted primer gray going "PEW PEW PEW" while pointing it at my confused cat.

I'd like to believe that the creators at WETA display this (well, similar) enthusiasm as well with their creations. Is this the case, or sometimes are you just happy to go home on Friday and not look at your work for a couple of days?

I haven't read through all six pages, so forgive me is this question is redundant:

To what extent, if any, are professionals in your field aware of the prop replica community? And what is the general attitude toward it?

I assume it can't be grossly negative, or else Mr. Harvey wouldn't be joining us. Still, how do folks regard us? Do they find our activity flattering? Or is it something they tolerate as a goodwill gesture to fandom? Or do they pay us little to no mind at all?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back