John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
The RPF has been given the opportunity to host a Q&A with Weta Senior Modelmaker, John Harvey.

John helped create props and/or weapons for:

• District 9
  • Hellboy
  • Halo shorts
  • Lord of the Rings
  • King Kong
  • The Last Samurai
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Here is your opportunity to ask the original prop builder questions about his work. John will be here on Sept 7 to answer your questions, but we have been asked to have members post questions early so John has time to prepare answers for you.

Weta is also offering 7 prizes for questions that are used for the Q&A, with the #1 prize being a Dr Grordbort's Righteous Bison Replica Pistol! Other prizes include Weta shirts and District 9 patches!

So, how will this work?

Please submit your questions here. Anyone submitting a legitimate question will be entered to win one of the prizes from Weta. While you may ask more than one question, you will only be entered once for the drawing.

Here is a short bio from Weta's website:

John Harvey

John was born in Auckland and studied sculpture at the Auckland Society of arts. He then went on to complete a diploma in 3D crafts majoring in glass casting at Auckland Unitec. During this time he started doing small jobs for stage productions and advertising, providing props and costumes. This lead him to work for Pacific Renaissance Pictures on shows such as Xena, Hercules and Young Hercules for the next five years.

John then moved to Wellington in 1999 to work for Weta Workshop. John has worked on many productions while at Weta, including The Lord of the Rings, The Last Samurai, Hellboy and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He also worked for Sideshow Weta Collectibles producing merchandising pieces for The Lord of the Rings and Muppets.

John enjoys the challenges he is set working in the film industry and always aims to produce the highest quality product

How often when you are given a design, do you think it won't work, and if you do, how far can you go your own direction with it before it becomes a problem with the studios?

Is there any way for a fan to send in a design or drawing that could be made into a future prop, Say like a new character or vehicle something of that nature?

When making a prop for a specific film, what considerations go into the prop as far as the way the film is being shot? i.e. for District 9, Avatar, and Hellboy which all have drastically different levels of CGI, did the props have to be made or painted a certain way specific to the filming style? Also, what are your favorite props of those you've made and do you have a collection of your own?

Your "armory" covers a lot of territory. Where do you draw your inspirations for your more exotic weapons?

What do you think of the "garage kit industry" and do you think it helps or cannibalizes a property's intellectual property? Some defend the scene entirely by saying it keeps the IP alive in the hearts and minds of the fans, grows the fan base in certain circumstances, and offers niche items that would never be brought to market for any number of reasons. For the most part, Star Wars fans have carte blanche to make a wide range of things. Some studios aggressively defend any and all forays into the replica arena with their properties, whether it is for profit or just a "run between friends". Games Workshop comes to mind, as an example.

The spectrum runs the gamut from "I made this one-off because I wanted to own a ______ of my very own" to "a semi-professional group of guys are doing a large run of ________ kits, so place your orders now!". Where do you, as a professional prop maker, draw a line in this equation?

Also - what is your favorite food? (haha, couldn't resist a little kid question)

Two questions for you, Mr Harvey!

1- What materials do you usually make your masters from before going to mold? Is it wax? Foam? Clay? Plastics? All of the above? Anything and everything? My father worked in the Toy Industry for decades, I'm curious how their methods and Weta's methods compare.

2- What advice do you have for a young professional in Hollywood looking to find more freelance prop work?

Keep up the awesome work and I'll keep being inspired!

edit: Thought of a third question:

3- How common are women prop makers not only at Weta, but in your general experience in the industry? The professional friends I have made are all men, and I'm starting to wonder if female prop makers like me are a rare commodity!

Last edited:
im sure it varies wildly from film to film, but how much leeway to you generally get with your designs? are you constantly pushing things as far as you can, knowing it will get rejected, or playing it safe knowing they will want more?

do you generally push it as far as you can and dial it back slowly, or work slowly up to the final design?

Are there any skills or methods of making props that you haven't done before, but would like to try?

What is your favorite genre of film to work on (SciFi, Fantasy, Historical, Etc)?

Tell us a solid 'horror story(hopefully more funny than horrific)' anecdote. Something that you not only remember vividly, but something that also taught you something that you've been able to use throughout your carrer.

I'd also love to hear about a moment during your carrer where you, for lack of a better term, 'totally geeked out.'

Thanks!

**Very cool idea Mods, well done!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back