John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

Hi,
Just a simple question - not too sure if there is another already posted if so disregard.

Q - When growing up did you have many other ideas of where you would be and what you would be doing, did you ever expect to end up in the industry you are now in? Did you have any aspirations of working in a field completely alien to the one you are now in? (e.g. police officer, accountant, journalist)

Thank you for your time :D

Syldar

Wow, thanks everyone for all your feedback and questions. We are overwhelmed with the level of interest. We really appreciate it.

John is on leave this week, so it's going to be fun telling him how many questions he's got to answer when he gets back !!

Actually, we'll probably need to group some of the similar questions and answer them together (hope you don't mind).

Looking forward to it

Cheers

Tim

Since I am an absolute Halo nut, I would like to ask the following:

The Halo production was cut short 5 months in after relations with the studios supposedly turned sour. From that work we got the Halo trailers, which were absolutely incredible and had some great work shown in them. But what about the work we never saw? I've heard many rumours of what was being worked on at the time pre-production ceased, so what else was being worked on that we never saw through the shorts, and what were you looking forward to working on the most that you never got the chance to?

With constant script changes and scenes that are filmed not making the final cuts some of your work must not end up with any screen time, likewise with some of the collectors range WETA releases, what are your favorite unused concepts/props?

When you go home are you done with the job or are you continuing to look for materials, ideas, etc?

Do you prefer to create miniatures or 1:1 ?

was there a prop you had at first thought would be an easy build that ended up becoming something of an annoyance or nightmare for either minor details or major flaws that wouldnt resolve, and Eventually was just cut?

Within the impressive list of films on which you have worked, what single prop stands out in your mind as being either the most challenging or most satisfying one to complete and see in the finished film? Perhaps they are one in the same?

During the pre-production and production.....what is your diet? :lol
No seriously! Especially on most hectic times. If its happening to me,maybe i will forgot to eat and getting slow,uncreative at work.
Some say from a healthy body comes a healthy mind:thumbsup

Thank you so much for your time!

Sorry if this is repetitive, can't pour through the many pages of great questions that have already been asked ;)

What is the creative process at WETA? Is it built around the vision of a single individual (like Apple) or is it a team effort (no 'I' in team - lol).

Is the design process driven primarily by WETA and the script, or is it more a collaboration between WETA and the director?

How much do you draw upon historical references in your designs?

the dambusters (2010)!!! - what happened???
dambustPJpic.jpg

Last edited:
Kia ora John :)

Just as a bit of a nosey, having explored a variety of techniques recently, do you have a prefered material and method to work in? And possibly one you look forward to as one looks forward to visiting the dentist?

hi
thank you for taking the time to talk to us all,
1.Do you or fellow members from your area of work look at boards like this??
2.Are you amazed at the high level from just the public?
3.Is there any prop you've built,and wish that you held onto it

all the best
colin

Hello there, I was wondering how you exercise your creative genius, other than making all your awesome stuff, I am talking about exercises and doodles and what not.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back