John Harvey - Weta Senior Modelmaker - Q&A with the RPF

When designing props like the guns for Hellboy and District 9 for example, are you given artist's drawings of what the director wants to see the weapons look like or are you left alone to come up with the look and design on your own? And, when given a drawing do you try to find some existing piece (like a Webley pistol for example) to use as the basis of the design and build or do you create original pieces from scratch?

Thanks for taking time to speak with us! This is really the place where your great work is highly appreciated.

W.E.

Just heard about the 7.0 earthquake in NZ - sounds like extensive damage to buildings and property occurred - hope everyone at WETA Workshop & WETA Digital, their families, & homes are ok and that neither the WETA facilities nor fantastic creations were damaged...

Val

Since this is The Replica Prop Forum, do you ever look at us guys trying to replicate your designs and think, 'Nah, that bit doesn't go there', 'There's a funny story about that...' or just 'You guys are crazy!' :lol

Simon

I'll add my bit : Did you ever wanted to help people recreating your props ( by sending bits of plans or wip pics, or just advice ), or there is none interest to it or legal issues that forbid you to do it ?

There is no specific schools for prop building so what would you recommend for someone who is just getting started or curious about prop building - what are some of the most important things an individual should learn?

I want to become a prop/costume maker. What would you advise me to study in university for that?

Is there a particular uni for that?

After uni where do I search for this kind of job (where do i apply)?

Is there some sort of a club in UK that you know of that I could visit and see people with the same interest?

I made helmets and bits of suits and I want to do ths as my career, what should i do (uni, job, clubs)?

Thank you.

There is no specific schools for prop building so what would you recommend for someone who is just getting started or curious about prop building - what are some of the most important things an individual should learn?

^ pretty much what that guy asked :)

Did you always want to be a professional prop builder / designer? Is there something during your childhood that steered you toward this profession?

cheers!

I don't think I've seen this question yet, Before you worked in the Prop Building industry, what was the first prop you ever made and why that particular prop.

Did I already ask about The DamBusters???
(photo of thee Man at the controlls of the Real thing)
dambustPJpic.jpg

Any answer would be 'Prize' enough for me! Go 617th!
thanx

Last edited:
It's 7:25 AM Sept. 7th in Auckland / Go All Blacks!!! / ...so I was wondering,
what time (US) is Mr. Harvey (may I call you John?) stopping by?

I thought about this after scraping my ear on a fiber glass manaquin I was doing a clay sculpt on the other day. I've been scratched, sliced, grazed, bruised, blistered, burnt and stuck myself together. What's the most bizarre injury you've had from modelling and how did you get it?

Last edited:
Weta seems really to care about collectors and provides some of the most detailed and accurate film-related memorabilia on the market. As the creator of the original subject matter, how much involvement do you have with creating the replicas?

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your interest in Weta !

We are overwhelmed with the number of questions we received. Very exciting.

John Harvey is going to be joining us shortly. He has been swotting up and reading all your questions over the weekend. He will be answering as many of them as possible today, and will return next week to reply to the remainder. Sorry, but there were a lot more questions than we anticipated !

He will keep his answers fairly brief, because there a lot of questions to answer. We hope you don't mind

He has asked me to answer some of the questions which are of a more commercial nature.

We hope you find it interesting.

And thanks again to Art for helping set this up. Cheers Mate !

Kind regards

Tim

How often when you are given a design, do you think it won't work, and if you do, how far can you go your own direction with it before it becomes a problem with the studios?

Hi patsmear

Yes, sometimes .... which is nice, as yes, you do get to put your own interpretation into the prop. Not very often does it become a problem and if it does, they are only very small changes

Cheers

John

Is there any way for a fan to send in a design or drawing that could be made into a future prop, Say like a new character or vehicle something of that nature?

Hi Cibernite,

Prop design is very organised ; designer, directors, art directors, etc. We could make it when we are not too busy... but it would cost !!

Cheers

John

When making a prop for a specific film, what considerations go into the prop as far as the way the film is being shot? i.e. for District 9, Avatar, and Hellboy which all have drastically different levels of CGI, did the props have to be made or painted a certain way specific to the filming style? Also, what are your favorite props of those you've made and do you have a collection of your own?

Hi sagelwwa,

Hand props are always made to the highest level of detail at Weta.... we put as much care into one prop as another, and no I don't, I wish I did though

Thanks

John

As a prop designer, when did you become interested in the art and how did that interest blossom into your career?

Hi Kenobius

It was an accident. Started on small adverts and stage shows. Got asked to work on Xena for 2 weeks, stayed there for 5 years, moved to Welly and never looked back.

Thanks

John

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back