Harry Potter - Golden Snitch - DH version, Opening snitch modelling

Monkey540

Sr Member
Hey there everyone. I was keeping this project to myself, but thought I might be able to get some good input on it if I share it with everyone, so here we go.

It's been a dream of mine to have a working opening replica of the golden snitch such as the one seen in DH. As seen in the photo below:

Open_zps27216ed7.jpg

I haven't seen anyone attempt it, and I've just started to make my own 3D models using solidworks, and thought I would take a crack at it.

I found a great reference pic in the Page To Screen book or the mechanism of how conceptually the snitch opened:

Opening_zpsc2f4b5b1.jpg

It looks like one of the halves of the sphere rotates completely inside the other to reveal the ring.

I've started by creating profiles that slide into each other, I'll update with a pic of the assembly, but here's what the halves looked like when I modelled them:

SnitchsidesV1_zpsfa93448c.jpg

Since this worked, I started modelling the exterior features which is really a pain:

OuterHalfV1_zpsc411c574.jpg

Still alot more work to do, but I'm off to a great start I think.

I was curious what people thought about the thickness of the shells, as I think I've modelled them too thin, they are currently 0.5mm thick. If I want to print in plastic, I'm going to have to thicken them up to at least 1-1.5mm thick.

So first off, the interior mechanism looks to be the simple part, so I'm going to focus on the exterior details as splitting the details between 2 pieces is going to be fun, lol.

All feedback and comments are welcome and appreciated.

this is freaking awesome!! it'll be sweet to see one that opens finally.
are you going to put the words "i open at the close" on it also?!?!?

Agreed - this will be a great project. Looking at the first image you posted, it looks like some of the "ridges" are actually grooves instead - and I have that book :) . Interesting!

Since egg shells are between 0.3 and 0.4 mm, I believe you'd do well to make it thicker as you suggested.

RPF member Turbo Sausage modeled a snitch. Have you considered asking him if he'd share the model, or perhaps relay his techniques for developing it? May save you some time and aggravation.

ATL

Agreed - this will be a great project. Looking at the first image you posted, it looks like some of the "ridges" are actually grooves instead - and I have that book :) . Interesting!

Since egg shells are between 0.3 and 0.4 mm, I believe you'd do well to make it thicker as you suggested.

RPF member Turbo Sausage modeled a snitch. Have you considered asking him if he'd share the model, or perhaps relay his techniques for developing it? May save you some time and aggravation.

ATL

I came across the thread, and to be honest, I've studied his model on shapeways for a bunch of reference to the way the shapes are going to flow, before I even saw the thread, but I haven't asked him about it directly.

I did some more modelling last night and came up with this:

OuterHalfV2_zps5258305e.jpg

I figured out the whole deboss thing, and I should be able to do the engraving of the "I open at the close" at least I think it will work.

Here's what the assembly looks like, I know it looks funny based on the sizes, but keep in mind, one doesn't have any features on it yet, also see the real prop pic for comparison. I also changed the wall thickness to 2 mm inside the sphere.

AssemblyV2_zps5c220cfa.jpg

11878076593_49a99d8c83_o_zps6af17e3c.png

It looks to me like the Gem arm is hinged to the side of one of the hinges, and the three arm linkage from the rotating shell push it up and out as it opens.
I love cool mechanisms!

Total subscribe! Great project!

It looks to me like the Gem arm is hinged to the side of one of the hinges, and the three arm linkage from the rotating shell push it up and out as it opens.
I love cool mechanisms!

Thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I love mechanisms too, but with how small this is, the feature that raises up the ring will take a bit of time to model I think.

This will be so cool! Good luck to you!

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
This is so good!

I've been thinking of trying to do this myself for so long, but could never get my modelling skills good enough to be satisfied with the base model, let alone any mechanisms to make it all come together...or apart for that matter!

I would definite be interested in getting one of these if the project works out and you offer a run/product on Shapeways!
Just make sure the snitch itself is big enough ;) – big snitches are good snitches.

Certainly keeping my eyes on this thread. Good job!

This is so good!

I've been thinking of trying to do this myself for so long, but could never get my modelling skills good enough to be satisfied with the base model, let alone any mechanisms to make it all come together...or apart for that matter!

I would definite be interested in getting one of these if the project works out and you offer a run/product on Shapeways!
Just make sure the snitch itself is big enough ;) – big snitches are good snitches.

Certainly keeping my eyes on this thread. Good job!

I originally started with a base size of the toy snitch from the sticker book, 38mm diameter. But as I had to increase the wall thickness I increased my base snitch to 40mm diameter cause I didn't want the inside piece to shrink too much. After extensive modelling, and testing, I would plan to make it available, but I need to be happy with it first. :)

wooow Monkey, it is a wonderful project :) i am looking forward to seing more of your work :)

Thanks again, I'm really hopeful on this project.

I'm having a bit of trouble, I'm not liking the way I initially set up the halves, one smaller than the other. It just looks weird when the snitch is closed. Does anyone have any ideas how to have 1 piece rotate inside the other?

So, I had some fun over the weekend, and some frustration. I think I've worked out a profile that I'm happy with for now:
Assembly%20V3_zps3toyuovh.jpg

This was redone from scratch. (Excuse the rod, it was for rotation point testing.

Then I took a stab at the rotation supports.
Assembly%20V3.-1JPG_zpsgqhwem17.jpg

Then I went back and redid the exterior on the outside shell.
Assembly%20V3.-2_zpsbwkjfq6t.jpg

Starting to look pritty nice in my opinion.

Then I remembered this:
this is freaking awesome!! it'll be sweet to see one that opens finally.
are you going to put the words "i open at the close" on it also?!?!?

And while it was rather frustrating and hard on my comp, here's the result:
V3%20-%20I%20open%20at%20the%20close_zpsm6ubrt3k.jpg

DH1_Golden_Snitch_I_Open_at_the_Close_zps5m6xtifp.jpg

V3%20-%20I%20open%20at%20the%20close-2_zpsrynvvaqy.jpg

It's shaping up pritty well, I'll just have to watch the clearances when I detail the inside shell piece. There is a gap less than 1 mm where the parts meet up.

Edit: Just noticing that the snitch that says, "I open at the close" and the opening snitch actually have different designs. Arrrggh.

Great project! And really nice work, keep going! Would love to see this finished...and would love to buy one haha!

That is looking amazing so far, stick at it and I am sure it will turn out great.

If you ever do a run, let me know.

looking good...don't get too frustrated.

Thanks for all the encouragement everybody, this WILL get finished.

I'm not frustrated anymore, I was more frustrated with my machine speed than anything.

Time to model the inside shell pattern and think for awhile on the ring holding mechanism. I want it to work, but such limited reference material....

Never realized that the snitch had the whole Ring inside it as shown in the first photo. It looked like it only had the gem when i saw the movie.

Never realized that the snitch had the whole Ring inside it as shown in the first photo. It looked like it only had the gem when i saw the movie.

I think he pulls the stone out of the ring in the movie, but it's unclear what is actually holding the stone.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back