Harry Potter - Golden Snitch - DH version, Opening snitch modelling

Hello again, I have some progress. Firstly, I realized that the support arm was in the wrong place, shouldn't be in the centre bottom, so I shifted it to the side. Secondly, I think I've finished up the inside shell.

Inside%20V3%20-%201_zpswlwbtige.jpg

Inside%20V3%20-%202_zps9syrvq0b.jpg

And so, here's what it looks like assembled:
Assembly%20V3%20-%201_zpsrj2lwy2d.jpg

And Open
Assembly%20V3%20-%202_zps5iojcajh.jpg

I've had an annoying time resizing the inner shell over and over just so it can fit inside the outer and move freely and not look like such a HUGE gap. I'm down to just over 1 mm gap which is not bad, but it's very tight between the contours and the inside shell. Good news is the wall thickness checks went just fine so this might be able to be printed in metal when the time comes.

I think it's time for me to order a test print to see how they fit together and have some time to think out the linkage part. I'll throw it into my next order from shapeways, but that means I won't be able to progress for a number of weeks, sigh, production time is a pain.... Anyways, here's the shapeways generic renders.

Render%20V3_zpsoo00vpie.jpg

wow amazing.
I had idea for this prop about the wings.
Depending on how complicated it could be I give the idea to you.
here it is:
The round balls made from steel, the inside hiding a neodymium magnet, the balls getting removable, and a different variation offering full photo etched wings.
So, combinated with your project, would make a fully winged closed golden snitch, once the wings removed and replaced by balls, a "closed wings" opened verion.

wow amazing.
I had idea for this prop about the wings.
Depending on how complicated it could be I give the idea to you.
here it is:
The round balls made from steel, the inside hiding a neodymium magnet, the balls getting removable, and a different variation offering full photo etched wings.
So, combinated with your project, would make a fully winged closed golden snitch, once the wings removed and replaced by balls, a "closed wings" opened verion.

I'm not sure I'm following you completely. A magnet may be difficult to work into the design, and a piece rotates inside the other. (not much gap there.) I guess it's possible to hollow out the nubs.

Edit: Ah, I kinda get what you are saying now. Might be good to design a separate outer shell for that purpose.

maybe make two small half balls, the inside would be flat, and outside simulating a compete small ball?!
It would leave the gap and hide a magnet or other fixing element?!

gold.png

My fery first idea was a "opened wings" version, and "closed wings" version, the wings filling the grooves in the body when closed version, but would be quite complicated, and I 'm not sure it would be compatible with your open version design.

maybe make two small half balls, the inside would be flat, and outside simulating a compete small ball?!
It would leave the gap and hide a magnet or other fixing element?!

View attachment 435936

My fery first idea was a "opened wings" version, and "closed wings" version, the wings filling the grooves in the body when closed version, but would be quite complicated, and I 'm not sure it would be compatible with your open version design.

Kinda following you now. But one thing I've found out from this project is, a sphere shape is 10x harder to work with 3D wise than a cylinder. it would take some careful planning, but I won't rule it out.

Just a quick update, I made a cradle for the ring, and ordered my first test print from shapeways, hopefully it'll turn out looking good. :)

Wow! Really nice project! What software are you using? I actually prefer 3ds Max for modelling than Maya :D

I actually don't know either of those programs. I'm using Solidworks to do my modelling, been using it for years, but just not for this application, it's proving difficult in some areas but overall it's going well.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back