Grogu doll and bust sculpts for 3D printing

madeandmark

Doll_Build_v4.jpg

Hey gang, I've only been on here for a few months now but I just finished up this project for my kid, he wanted a Grogu doll for his birthday. So I set out to learn zBrush and hone my 3D printing skills. Being able to sculpt and print iterations of this project along the way proved extremely invaluable to learning how to sculpt 'in the box'! I'm currently in the process of making a sewable body pattern as well to complete this project.

My biggest challenge with only have a FDM printer is resolution and minimizing post processing which is why I decided to split the head in half and key it so I could print it with little to no supports and make for a cleaner build. One of these days I'll have the space and income for an SLA printer.

I'd love any feedback y'all might have as this is my first full run at 3D Modelling and I'm still a Padawan of 3D printing

Bust_Split_2.jpg

Doll_Split_1.jpg

Posed_Bust_1.jpg

Posed_Bust_2.jpg

Legs_1.jpg

Arms_1.jpg

Grogu hi rez paint.jpg

Looks very nice. His eyes seems a little unnaturally big, almost looking more like a caricature of the character than an actual likeness, but the quality of the sculpting is really awesome.

A suggestion on where to cut the model on the head. I think it would be a mistake to cut it in the middle where all the details are. Would be better to cut it at the ears, so you have 3 models instead of 2, and you don't have to remove a seam line right in the middle of the face where it will very noticeable.

Looks very nice. His eyes seems a little unnaturally big, almost looking more like a caricature of the character than an actual likeness, but the quality of the sculpting is really awesome.

A suggestion on where to cut the model on the head. I think it would be a mistake to cut it in the middle where all the details are. Would be better to cut it at the ears, so you have 3 models instead of 2, and you don't have to remove a seam line right in the middle of the face where it will very noticeable.
Thanks for this. I have a feeling the perspective setting in zBrush is adding a little to the exaggeration of the eyes but I hear what you’re saying.
My reasoning for the mid head split was approaching it like I was going to mold it and wanting to eliminate undercuts and therefor supports. And since personally I’m going to print it on an fdm printer, sand prime and paint it, all the seam line won’t be there in the end and the prep work is something I’m familiar with.
But your point makes a lot of sense to split it at the ears if retaining detail from an SLA print is what you’re going for. I’ll take a look and see what I can come up with, thanks!

Bonjour

Is life size ??
Yes it is.

Here's a little update on my build. Finally finished the body pattern and cloak patterning. Still having to finish the 3D printed parts and then learn how to airbrush, haha, but I'm making the most of it with rattle can.

I did a quickie photoshoot yesterday with where I'm at so far.

Doll Advertizement.jpg
01 Grogu 2.jpg
01 Grogu.jpg

Outside of the Cloak I draped and patterned (this took me a while as I've never done this before and I was pulling from screenshots of youtube videos and TV stills)
Cloak inside.JPEG

Taking the time to line it properly made it feel like a complete jacket and gives the right amount of loft.
Cloak outside.JPEG

I decided to go back and add holes in all the model pieces to enable the use of armature wire (I've reprinted the arms and legs but have to do a PID tuning on my printer before redoing the head). I designed a center 'heart' fixture that everything connects to with the armature wire. I also patterned the body as well.
Body and armature.JPEG

I had my leg prints fail at the last moment and decided to take advantage of it and fill them with sand and then reprint the caps and CA glue them together.
59213F72-D087-4073-965D-6D6E4CECBF82.JPEG

I'm slowly figuring out my FDM prints finishing technique.
A4E20102-2833-4DB0-9031-9E62B7B162F2.JPEG

I've modded my printer a lot and am well overdue for a PID tuning.
31405D96-DA4F-4B5B-8F18-2894CBC2FB90.JPEG

But I'm also loving the meditative task of sanding and priming a million times to get the result I want
0F4014B1-85C8-4C31-87F1-59C6381330C6.JPEG

D5B3179A-8F30-4F0D-8F4C-E09846BC830A.JPEG

This has been a lot of fun but is waaaay over due for my kids birthday haha!

I made a rough body out of newspaper and tinfoil. then covered everything in tape and drew out my panels and cut them out (with crappy scissors of course!) Then I scanned them and made all the patterns in photoshop (this came in handy when the arms were too far forward and I could quickly go back and edit the pattern as needed)
CF75EC68-6B8A-4C6E-841C-DF25DF04EB74.JPEG
54FBD95D-E995-4F90-9FE3-910E3FF44976.JPEG

I decided draping directly to the canvas was my best bet, then I would make a butcher paper pattern from there (I went through so many iterations trying to no only understand the garments construction but also how to land the overall silhouette.)
ABA9A343-9CA5-4EE2-9AF5-61E9A5B10AD9.JPEG

Bonjour

Superbe travail, avez vous un lien, pour acheté le tissus du manteau, svp
Merci

Bonjour

Superbe travail, avez vous un lien pour acheter le tissu du manteau svp

Merci

I used a taupe-ish fleece fabric for the liner/accent panels and tan duck canvas for the rest of the cloak. I bought them in person at JoAnn’s fabrics so I could get the closest color match (since that’s the worst part of buying things online). I would have loved to use a wool fabric for the outer part of the cloak since that’s what Jedi typical use for garment material. But I haven’t been able to track down what weave wool fabric would look right just yet.

Bonjour

D'accord, merci!
C'est difficile pour moi de trouver, les langues anglaise et américaine sont difficiles, surtout pour la traduction française,
Pouvez-vous me donner la bonne référence, afin que je puisse commander les tissus !
Merci

Bonjour

D'accord, merci!
C'est difficile pour moi de trouver, les langues anglaise et américaine sont difficiles, surtout pour la traduction française,
Pouvez-vous me donner la bonne référence, afin que je puisse commander les tissus !
Merci
Hello

Ok thank you!
It is difficult for me to find, the English and American languages are difficult, especially for the French translation,
Can you give me the correct reference, so that I can order the fabrics!
Thank you

Voici la traduction précise du texte de madeandmark:

J'ai utilisé un tissu polaire taupe pour la doublure et les panneaux d'accentuation et une toile de canard beige pour le reste de la cape. Je les ai achetés en personne chez JoAnn's fabrics pour que la couleur soit la plus proche possible (c'est le pire aspect de l'achat en ligne). J'aurais aimé utiliser un tissu en laine pour la partie extérieure de la cape, car c'est ce que Jedi utilise habituellement comme tissu pour ses vêtements. Mais je n'ai pas encore réussi à trouver le tissu de laine qui conviendrait le mieux.

I hope it will help for you to order your material. J`espère que cela t`aidera pour ta commande de tissu.

Thank you
I went on the translation, but I wanted the correct order reference, so I will take the same as you!
In the store there is a lot of choice, and I would not make a mistake about the order.
Thank you

Thanks for the assist joberg

Shorevador

I tracked down my receipts and for the cloak I used:
Scho Kaki Duck Cloth
Skyr Camel Anti Pill solid fleece

And for the body:
Kona Tarragon Green quilting cotton

I wasn't happy with the selection of colors the store had but these were the closest I could get with what was available. I am still on the hunt for a more screen accurate color match personally.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
No problem;)Shorevador: j`utilise DeepL comme moteur de traduction

Voilà la dernière:

J'ai retrouvé mes reçus et pour la cape que j'ai utilisée :
Toile de canard Scho Kaki
Polaire solide Skyr Camel Anti Pill

Et pour le corps
Du coton à matelasser Kona Tarragon Green

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back