Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Qui-Gon Jinn Lightsaber Design

We should consider having them start with off white or gray ABS and then paint black over it.
I feel like grey would be better since the tan resin often seems to have grey primer under the black paint. If they make tan ABS that would be even cooler…

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, would the rigidity of metal cowl along the spine not help it recurve? …. Or heaven forbid is there a possibility that the other side (unseen) could have been hollowed to allow some flexibility?

Just out of curiosity, would the rigidity of metal cowl along the spine not help it recurve? …. Or heaven forbid is there a possibility that the other side (unseen) could have been hollowed to allow some flexibility?

Straightening would have been a real challenge. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to remove material from the back and even add some metal reinforcement. Because of the slots on the bottom of the grip shroud and how narrow shroud is in the grip section, there just wasn’t enough room to do anything meaningful.

Support concept 1:

IMG_2452.png

There was no good way to make this type of concept not visible. Even with grub screws. Plus I’m guessing adding all these screws and threading really starts to add cost, and we’re veering further from the concept of being as accurate to the original prop in materials and construction as possible.

Support concept 2:
IMG_2453.png
IMG_2454.png
IMG_2455.png

I was able to hide this one, but it’s still pretty complicated.

I always felt this bending issue was a materials/process issue rather than a structural/design issue.

EDIT- Just wanted to clarify that these screenshots were generated based on a simplified model with some geometry hidden in the grip section. Don’t worry if you see details missing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back