Dewy and Anakin Starkiller's Accurate Qui-Gon Jinn Lightsaber Design

This is the last one I need, until the next one.
Haha always the way isn't it.

I'm very keen for this too. I own the VV and Saberz Qui and this one will be excellent I'm sure.

I was sad to miss the Obi-Wan for sure. I'd love to add it alongside my Parks, OM and Saberz versions one day.

Haha always the way isn't it.

I'm very keen for this too. I own the VV and Saberz Qui and this one will be excellent I'm sure.

I was sad to miss the Obi-Wan for sure. I'd love to add it alongside my Parks, OM and Saberz versions one day.
There are VV ones out there :O I had no idea. Now I gotta go hunting >_<. I got multiple Saberz just cause I am accident prone lol.

tried ABS from a different shop. The material held up well, with no warpage. The only issue is the finish is not as smooth as delrin, so if we go with it, well probably have to get them painted.
I’d personally be okay with a ‘finish at home’ type kit since a lot of us painted the delrin anyway.

I'd be ok with painting it myself. Just need to know what Spraycan I need/can get in europe/austria. Satin black? Not that common here but seems to be the "semi-matte/silk-matte" most of the time?

That’s so odd. I don’t recall the SaberArt delrin run I was part of in the early 2000s doing this.
My theory: Acetal/Delrin stock is made one of two ways, it can essentially be cast or extruded. The extruded stuff has a ton of residual stresses in the material from the extrusion process. Without some type of stress relief heat treat before machining, the part can warp during machining.

I don’t think it’s worth trying to nail down Delrin specifically as I really don’t believe that is how the originals were made.

Here is what the delrin parts looked like
IMG_20230730_161525281.jpg

Here is what the abs parts look like
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

My theory: Acetal/Delrin stock is made one of two ways, it can essentially be cast or extruded. The extruded stuff has a ton of residual stresses in the material from the extrusion process. Without some type of stress relief heat treat before machining, the part can warp during machining.

I don’t think it’s worth trying to nail down Delrin specifically as I really don’t believe that is how the originals were made.

Cool. So how do you think the originals were made? Not from delrin?

So only the obi wan utilized the painted delrin?
The working theory is that all of the non-metallic sections of all of the Episode 1 sabers were resin castings. We can see casting bubbles in all/most of the sabers.

My personal opinion, based on some of the things I’ve seen is that the masters for the cast resin pieces were originally made from wood and/or machinable modeling foam. Some of the geometry really, really resembles what you see in wood turned parts. That being said, I think the modeling foam is more likely as we’ve never seen any wood parts surface or go up for auction.

The working theory is that all of the non-metallic sections of all of the Episode 1 sabers were resin castings. We can see casting bubbles in all/most of the sabers.

My personal opinion, based on some of the things I’ve seen is that the masters for the cast resin pieces were originally made from wood and/or machinable modeling foam. Some of the geometry really, really resembles what you see in wood turned parts. That being said, I think the modeling foam is more likely as we’ve never seen any wood parts surface or go up for auction.
I think the master on the painted black parts on OWK and QGJ and the silver painted parts of the other TPM sabers were machined from renshape. Then those parts were cast in resin. Some sabers are made up of painted resin castings combined with metal parts and some sabers are made up of painted renshape and metal parts. (Because why not use those masters themselves in some saber builds if you have them on hand)

I think the master on the painted black parts on OWK and QGJ and the silver painted parts of the other TPM sabers were machined from renshape. Then those parts were cast in resin. Some sabers are made up of painted resin castings combined with metal parts and some sabers are made up of painted renshape and metal parts. (Because why not use those masters themselves in some saber builds if you have them on hand)

Renshape, thank you! I could not remember the name for the life of me. I think it’s essentially a polyurethane plastic/foam that can be sculpted and machined right?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back