such a small comment for so much work - but I wanted to add something here. Switches are usually rectangular and the switch we see on the prop sticks straight out... meaning it toggled left and right (so the side profile would look straight) and probably not up down.
View attachment 1477678
That means the switch casing was up against a curved wall, and would probably need a thinner wall to get the threads up and out of the saber!
Looking really nice! Especially that pommel damage!**Update**
Hi everyone. I had a few days downtime last week, but I just wanted to give a quick update. I've spent the past couple of days finishing off the CAD drawings and getting them sent off for quotation.
I've now sent all of the drawings for the current parts, but they're still very much open to changes. I can use the prices that come back as a basis for the run going forward though and I'll get the official interest thread posted as soon as those come in.
I've sent the drawings for my vice jig too (for recreating the accurate dents in the emitter plate).
I'm just in the process of rendering some artwork to post with the run and to help explain some of the options that will be available as part of the kit. Here's a sneak peek:
Here's a shot of the current bent emitter:
View attachment 1483716
As I'll be adding the dents myself, both the straight ANH version and the bent ROTJ versions will be available. The bent version will be slightly more expensive to cover the cost of the jig obviously.
I've also done a quick study of the damage on the Pommel. The standard Kit will come "as machined" but will include a self adhesive guide for adding the damage to the bottom of the pommel. Or, like the Emitter, a slightly more expensive pre-dented version will be available as an option.
View attachment 1483717
As with everything else, these are still a work in progress, and are likely to change prior to the run going ahead.
My next job is to finish the stencils which should hopefully be done in time for the quotes coming in.
Thanks again for all of your comments and suggestions on this. Really looking forward to getting the ball rolling!
All the best and MTFBWY,
Just a quick update to say that the Interest thread is now live. It's against community guidelines to link directly to project runs here, but I just wanted to mention it in order to clarify that THIS thread will continue to be the place where I discuss any changes to the models for this project, as well as being where I post updates on ongoing work and new additions.
The next update will be to show the finished paint stencils (these are very nearly finished).
I've been busy creating artwork to showcase the latest models, including a new Cutaway render:
View attachment 1485617
View attachment 1485618
View attachment 1485619
View attachment 1485620
View attachment 1485621
These are still using a very basic clamp model which I'd like to replace at some point (just for my own sanity). Getting the stencils finished is now my first priority though.
I'll also be adding a similar cutaway soon to demonstrate my solution for the motorised stunt and blade setup. I have some thoughts on that that I'd like to share. I'll be dedicating a post on this thread to this specifically in the coming weeks as there's quite a bit to go through.
In the end I chose not to use most of the above images in the interest thread as I didn't want it to get too image heavy. I opted for this turntable video instead:
View attachment 1485625
Again, the basic stand-in clamp model is annoying me, so I do plan to get a more detailed clamp added to this, along with the paintwork. I'd like to get a more complex animation rendered that shows how everything fits together too. I'll do this once the parts are textured with the finished stencils, and I have the new and improved clamp.
Plenty of time for all that though!
Thanks for looking! This is still the thread where ALL the research and development for this project will happen. The interest thread will be reserved solely for gauging interest and keeping track of orders, etc.
Time for bed here in the UK!
Good night and MTFBWY,
Your photo matching work here is incredible! If you were to post some tips about how you go about this I'd be gratified, but no intention to derail your thread. For anyone that hasn't tried this, I'll tell you right now, it's not easy! Congrats DaveP , this is amazing!I’ve been working on this project for quite some time now behind the scenes and the models are pretty much finished. To get the basic model roughed out, I used old school 2D photogrammetric techniques. I created reference lines that cut though the ellipses of the various cylinders that make up the overall shape of the prop and used the length/diameter of the Graflex clamp to determine a scale. I then built a rough model using these reference lines as a guide:
View attachment 1472381
I then set up a camera within the scene to match the perspective of the reference image. Once this is done, any discrepancies within the model can be fine-tuned to account for perspective/foreshortening/lens distortion:
Thanks Pedro! Not derailing at all. I went over it briefly at the start of the thread, but didn't go in to much detail. You're right. It's not easy! The trickiest part is getting your camera set up to match the scene. I'm a freelance games artist by trade, so I have licences for 3DS Max and ZBrush out of necessity. I'm sure many (if not all) of the tools available to me in Max can be found in Blender though (which is free).