Interest DaveP’s Luke RotJ V2 / Obi Wan ANH Motorised Stunt Prop-Replica Run (Sign Up Closed)

For what it’s worth, and I realize it may not be much these days, my opinion is that this run will not be surpassed in accuracy on the RPF or elsewhere. If my opinion counts to you the reader, hop on this run! I dearly wish I had the funds to do so myself, and will be scanning the junkyard in the years to come for an opportunity to get my hands on this while expecting to pay through the nose to do so.
DaveP you and your collaborators are doing fantastic work on this, keep at it.

Edit: I didn’t notice that the signup was closed, but I stand by my endorsement.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, and I realize it may not be much these days, my opinion is that this run will not be surpassed in accuracy on the RPF or elsewhere. If my opinion counts to you the reader, hop on this run! I dearly wish I had the funds to do so myself, and will be scanning the junkyard in the years to come for an opportunity to get my hands on this while expecting to pay through the nose to do so.
DaveP you and your collaborators are doing fantastic work on this, keep at it.

Edit: I didn’t notice that the signup was closed, but I stand by my endorsement.
Thank you so much for the kind words! They really do mean a lot! Very much appreciated! :)

Yes, I'm afraid the sign up is now closed as I need to lock in the quantities at this stage. Just getting an update together to let people know where things are up to....

Thanks again!

*UPDATE*

Hi everyone. I have just posted an update in the R&D Thread regarding some changes to the models.

It was my intention to order the CNC'd parts on Monday, but I was presented with some new information from a very reliable source! For that reason, I held back the CNC'd parts while that conversation was still ongoing.

I hope you all understand. It would have been an absolute tragedy to order the parts without taking this new information in to consideration and applying any design changes that are needed first.

Details of these changes are in the R&D post if you'd like to read about them. Any work that is required on the models will be completed today and the order for the parts will be placed as soon as they're ready. (y)

The ordering process is well under way for the other parts, and quantities have been locked in and sent off for quotes, etc. (y)

You may have noticed, I've marked the run as "sign up closed". This is because I really had to lock in the quantities prior to ordering. I will be ordering a limited number of extra base kits though, which I can let go an a first come-first served basis, should anyone stumble on to the thread form this point on. I'll also be ordering a few extra cone knobs in case those are of interest to people in the future. (y)

Thanks again for taking part in the run everyone, and for your patience this past couple of weeks.

I'm so very excited that the run is now officially underway. I will keep you all posted as things progress!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

*UPDATE*

Hi Everyone... I thought I'd let yesterday's revelations sink in a little before dropping another bombshell...

I've just posted another update in the Research and Development Thread

As I've said in that post, "This (again) has pushed back putting the parts for my run in to production, but I think you'd agree, it's a very good job that I held off whilst these details were still up in the air."

This again is a very easy change to make to the models. So time-wise, it's nothing to worry about. It won't have a huge impact on production either. In fact, I would imagine it may actually speed things up! :)

I believe that we can now go ahead with getting these made! I have complete confidence that the details discussed in the above post are correct.

Just for your information, most of the other components and materials for the run have now been ordered and paid for! I'll keep everyone updated as things progress and items begin to arrive!

Thanks again everyone!!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

**Update**

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to post a little progress update to let you know where things are up to...

As you know, the revelations last week meant that some modifications were needed before the parts could be put in to production.

Thank you all for your patience while I updated the models and the CAD drawings. I hope you agree that it was a necessary delay.

All the models are now updated to the latest design and these have been sent to the machine shop for final quotation. (y)

final cutaway.jpg

*Base Kit

The Emitter is now being machined as part of the body section, as discussed in the R&D thread. If you weren't aware of these changes, I highly recommend that you check out the thread from this post onwards, and the subsequent discussion.

The Motorised stunt kits/commissions will remain as a single piece (save for the pommel and nipple).

The ROTJ V2 kits/commissions will have the emitter separated from the body.

By default, the base kit will be sent out as one single piece (as machined), but I can gladly separate them on request. (y)

The emitter has to be removed in order to apply the emitter damage commission, but this is in line with the actual prop.

As soon as the final quote comes in for the CNC'd part's, I'll be placing the order.

ALL the other parts for the run have either been ordered or are awaiting final invoices! :)

• CNCd Parts - Final drawings/quantities in for quotes (awaiting invoice)
  • Internal Rods - Ordered/Paid
  • Bearings - Ordered/Paid
  • Grub Screws/Fixings - Ordered/Paid
  • Clamps - Ordered/Paid
  • Clamp Cards - Ordered/Paid
  • WannaWanga Parts - Final quantities in for quotes (awaiting invoice)
  • Motors - Ordered/Paid
  • Couplings - Ordered/Paid
  • Switches - Ordered/Paid
  • Battery Packs - Ordered/Paid
  • Belt Clips - Ordered/Paid
  • Connectors - Ordered/Paid
  • Blades - Final quantity in for quotes (awaiting invoice)
  • Reflective Tape - Ordered/Paid
  • Vinyl - Ordered/Paid

I've broken down the interest list in to batches based on the order that things will ship when the parts arrive. The Base kits with no commission will ship out immediately (This includes the DIY Motorised stunt kits. After that I'll need a few days to get through the pommel/emitter damage commissions, after which I'll be moving on to the fully commissioned builds.

Here is how the broken down list looks:

DIY Kits (As machined) - Shipping immediately:
  • Boba Flint
  • PrinceZip
  • Marv
  • Master jinn
  • Mgenovese321
  • Jorged123
  • Gino (FB)
  • Trinn
  • Cphaeng
  • Lord Slevin
  • APOLLO IND
  • djedi
  • Goodie2325
  • jonis
  • starbuc
  • Darth Elevator
  • BritWalker
  • Ilya888
  • Shane Craig (FB)
  • Kawika (FB)
DIY KITS (With Emitter/Pommel Damage) – Shipping a few days after parts arrive:
  • DannyP91
  • Loneken
  • The 48th Ronin
  • Patlegrand
  • Halliwax
  • Brodie53
  • Mr Mold Maker
  • juvatwad
  • mrwax
  • CWOODREPLICAS
  • NagorbArt
  • Morgan (FB)
  • Hylo133
  • Marco (FB)
  • mburkit
  • Diego86
  • TheUnchosenOne
  • Mech10
  • Dewy
  • Obiflex
  • Execute66
  • Masefield
  • zachman8910
  • James Kemp (FB)
  • BeggarsCanyon
  • acyang
  • el toro
  • Skywalker94
  • Jallott
  • v3123
  • Zenkai
  • NCC1027
Commissions Batch one – Shipping within one month of parts arriving:

Motorised Stunt Commissions:ROTJ V2 Commissions:
nailujScruffylooking
NickClinelivetoberadical
cdyoungFoe Hammer
Darth Napsterteecrooz
rockbottomCJPx01
JediJohn182Srycantthnkof1
ivuchanONE PIECE
ggriffawJoeG
Skoota73LukeV2
dse2187Eruonen

Commissions Batch two – Shipping within two months of parts arriving:

Motorised Stunt Commissions:ROTJ V2 Commissions:
Kraig Kenobimemphisjedi
Duncan Schaefer (FB)cdyoung
KUMAR (FB)Darth Napster
propfactoryenrico
darthwhiteyAnthonyD2199
JetSetWillyRebelSpy007
CrueGuyRobJediJohn182
ChrisRodeivuchan
LukeBespin1975
naurthsgem

Commissions Batch Three – Shipping within three months of parts arriving:

ROTJ V2 Commissions:
ggriffawNatesamlord
JoeSheeppropfactory
Brett BannerMark Conway (FB)
nemesis1974darthwhitey
FilandriusCrankyScorpion
SithslayerKYRACK
Kraig KenobiChrisRode
Noble Rich (FB)Bobasfett

Hope this all looks ok to everyone.

I'll keep you all updated as parts begin to arrive. :)

Thanks again everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

*Update*

Hi Everyone. Just a very quick update to say that I've updated the top post to reflect the fact that the run is now in progress!

I've added a list to the end of the post to show the progress on the various parts for the run:

• CNCd Parts - Ordered/Paid
  • Internal Rods - Arrived
  • Bearings - Arrived
  • Grub Screws/Fixings - Ordered/Paid
  • Clamps - Ordered/Paid
  • Clamp Cards - Ordered/Paid
  • WannaWanga Parts - Ordered/Paid
  • Motors - Ordered/Paid
  • Couplings - Arrived
  • Switches - Ordered/Paid
  • Battery Packs - Arrived
  • Belt Clips - Ordered/Paid
  • Connectors - Ordered/Paid
  • Blades - Final quantity in for quotes (awaiting invoice)
  • Reflective Tape - Ordered/Paid
  • Vinyl - Ordered/Paid

As you can see, the CNC'd parts are now "In Production"! The blades haven't been invoiced yet, but the order is in, and they're scheduled for November delivery. (y)

I've also added a couple of new images (and removed some of the older/out of date ones).

Just some new cutaways to show the Base Kit/ANH Motorised Stunt/ROTJ V2:

Base Kit Cutaway.jpg

Motorised Stunt Cutaway.jpg

ROTJ V2 Cutaway.jpg

As always, I'll try to keep you all as updated as possible as things progress.

I'll be working on some paint tests for the Motorised stunt commissions this week (Weather permitting) (y)

Thanks again everyone.

All the best, and MTFBWY,

Dave

*Update*

Hi Everyone. Apologies for the lack of updates this past week. We had a much needed few days away for half term break. We then came home to a very sick cat too, who needed to be put to sleep unfortunately. :( She was VERY old (20), so we knew that it was coming. Still, it's been an upsetting couple of days, and a week of distractions before that.

You'll be happy to hear that I came home to a lot of deliveries too. Lots of items for the run are now either in hand, or on their way!
  • CNCd Parts - Ordered/Paid/In production
  • Internal Rods - Arrived
  • Bearings - Arrived
  • Grub Screws/Fixings - Arrived
  • Clamps - Shipped
  • Clamp Cards - Shipped
  • WannaWanga Parts - Ordered/Paid/In production
  • Motors - Shipped
  • Couplings - Arrived
  • Switches - Arrived
  • Battery Packs - Arrived
  • Belt Clips -Arrived
  • Connectors - Arrived
  • Blades - Ordered/In Production (awaiting invoice)
  • Reflective Tape - Arrived
  • Vinyl - Arrived
I've also ordered postal boxes and packing materials, which are on their way. As soon as these arrive, I'll begin work on building up the boxes for the kits that can ship straight out. (y) Finding the right boxes took a fair bit of research in itself, but I'm very happy with the boxes I've chosen. They're extra thick, double walled, and 8 sided (so quadruple walled essentially).

Roman's Clamps and SlothFurnace's Clamp Cards have both Shipped! Brad sent some pictures over of the cards and, as you'd expect, they look fantastic:

CARDS 1.jpg
CARDS 2.jpg

The blades are scheduled to begin production soon. My wood turning expert is in very high demand, and I almost had a heart attack when he posted a message on his Instagram saying he wasn't taking any more orders for 2021! Luckily, he's assured me that our order is already booked in and scheduled to ship mid-November! :cool:

There's still a couple of weeks to wait on the CNC'd parts, but I've contacted the machinist and asked if they can send any pictures through when they get a chance. I can't wait to see them, and I'm looking forward to sharing with everyone on the run too.

I did a quick paint test for the Motorised Stunt before the half term break (Some of you may have seen this on Instagram).

PAINT TEST.jpg

This is one of my Gen1 Yuma bodies, but I figured it's close enough to the motorised stunt for the purposes of a test. I'm really happy with how it turned out. :) Hopefully, you guys like it too. There is a mixture of different paints used: (Rustoleum "Matte Black"/Rustoleum "Oil Rubbed Bronze"/Halfords "Brazil Brown"/Spray Bike "Bronze Gold"/Vallejo "Bright Brass" (Dry Brushed). I wasn't particularly happy with the look of the "Oil Rubbed Bronze" to be honest, so it has been pretty much completely covered with a combination of the other paints. These were blended by eye, and allowed to overspray on to the top of the grenade section and the emitter. The emitter face is still the "Matte Black" base colour; as is the booster.

I then very lightly dry-brushed some Vallejo "bright brass" to create some highlights:

PAINT TEST 2.jpg

It's kind of a shame to strip this down now, so I might actually finish it up with a Yuma box and Tri-Ring and put it up for sale as an Obi/Luke mash-up? Or I might just keep it! :D

Still very much a waiting game now, as we wait on the CNC'd parts, but I will keep you updated as the other bits and pieces come in. I'll also be sure to post any pictures I receive from the machine shop as soon as I have them! (y)

Thanks again for your patience everyone, and for placing your trust in me to deliver this run. Really cant wait to start sending these out to you all.

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

Sorry for your loss Dave. Even though it wasn't totally unexpected, doesn't make it any easier. On the bright side, I bet you and your cat had 20 amazing years.

And hey, on another front, your plans are coming together very well and everything looks great. Exciting to hear back from all the venders.

**Update**

Hi Everyone. Apologies for the radio silence! As always, if I drop off grid, it usually means I'm busy working on things for the run. Busy would be an understatement! :D

Lots of things to share though today... I have been waiting to receive some pictures from my manufacturer, and I received these yesterday (but couldn't get on to the forum). The parts are now in the UK, and are going through a final QC check before being sent to me. :)

QC7.jpg

QC6.jpg
QC5.jpg

QC2.jpg
QC1.jpg
QC3.jpg

QC4.jpg

I can't wait to finally get my hands on these! I will obviously need to inspect everything once it arrives (which is a mammoth task in itself), but I have the boxes for the DIY kits already made up ready to start packing as soon as I have all the parts in hand.

The clamps have arrived, along with the V2 Clamp cards. Big thank you to Roman and Brad for those. (y) Everything looks fantastic as you'd expect.

Roy has spoken to the manufacturer and the V2 levers have been machined and currently being plated, so as soon as Roy takes delivery of those, the Wannawanga items will be on their way too.

You might have seen on Instagram that the Cone knobs have already arrived (earlier than expected!)

IMG_20211110_102225_603.jpg

Really happy with the knurling on those. They've done a great job of matching the vintage reference.

I have successfully extracted the mystery chunks from both boots too!

IMG_20211108_104554_680.jpg

Not the easiest things to remove, but I got there in the end! I'll be sending these out "as extracted" for the DIY kits. As you can see, they're all A grade.

The remaining commission ones will be de-zinced this week and de-flanged ready for the ROTJ commissions. :)

The blades haven't been started yet, but not to worry. It's booked in for a November delivery still and I have no doubt he's a man of his word. He is completely booked up until next year and gets through a phenomenal amount of work, which is of the highest quality. I really am in awe of his craftsmanship. So I'm not at all concerned about the blades.

I will keep everyone updated as things progress, and will post more photos as things come in.

Everything is certainly falling in to place this week and I hope to have the first batch of kits going out very soon!

Hope you like how everything is looking anyway! I cannot wait to start working on these!!

Thanks again for all of your patience and support!

All the best and MTFBWY,

Dave

**Update**

Hi Everyone. Here's a quick update on how things are going... As you can imagine, it's been an incredibly busy few days, just checking over everything. I've been through all of the parts now and they are GORGEOUS! :love:

PXL_20211123_104234887.jpg

PXL_20211123_104516954.jpg

PXL_20211123_104543695.jpg

I'm really happy with everything. Hope you like them too.... :)

This is when the fun begins! I'm going to drop off the radar now and get my head down to get these out to people as soon as possible!

As of yesterday, there were seven orders for base kits (now eight) that could be sent out straight away. Everyone else's are just waiting on the Wannawanga parts to arrive. (this is not a bad thing) This gives me chance to get everything else prepared and packaged ready for their arrival. Then, as soon as they come in, orders can ship straight out!

I made up the seven that can go straight out yesterday and they're ready to go:

PXL_20211123_105403376.jpg

They feel deliciously weighty and weigh in at about 650g without the clamp/extras (y)

As well as going through all the parts, and putting the above kits together, I've been checking the stencils for size. I felt that cutting the stencils without checking them for size on the actual hilt first could be a mistake, so I've been waiting to have them in hand first.

I cut out the full sections (without islands) to see if any adjustments were needed:

PXL_20211123_111111531.jpg

Aside from being hastily applied, they fit perfectly! So the vinyl cutter has been working around the clock cutting the stencils!

I've put together a stencil guide and had that printed too:

TOP VIEW.jpg

This will be sent out with the stencils along with a length of self adhesive neoprene for the neck (my personal preference, having tried numerous altertnatives).

**Important** Some things to consider....

By default, I'll be sending out Base Kits with emitters attached. This gives you the option of constructing a ROTJ V2 or a Motorised Stunt.

It is a very quick job with a hacksaw to remove.

I can remove the emitter on request, so please let me know if this is something you'd like me to do. Like I said though, by default the emitter will be attached.

I'm assuming those who have specifically ordered the ROTJ kit, would like their emitters to be removed by default. (Please let me know if this is NOT the case)

For those who have ordered the Motorised stunt, the body/emitter will obviously be left as one single piece. I will be drilling/tapping an additional set screw (hidden under the clamp). This is to help secure the motor. I have a strong suspicion that this is present on the actual prop, and it will prevent the motor from spinning within the chamber and breaking free from it's connections.

I will be doing this on all Obi kits and commissions. Again, Please let me know if you'd rather NOT have this done.

Please do let me know if any of the above applies to you. If I haven't heard from you, I'll assume that the default for Base Kits/ROTJ Kits/Motorised Stunt kits are ok. (y)

If the defaults I've mentioned are ok, there's no need to get in touch.
:)

I'm going to go now and get through everything as quickly as I can so that I can get these out to everyone. I can't wait for you to see them.

Being my perfectionist self, I'm not just taking these out of the box and packaging them up, I am going over each and every piece to ensure the removal of any tool marks/scratches.

If you're fully paid up, I'll just be getting these out to you as soon as they're ready. Those who still need to pay postage/commission will receive their second invoices as they get packaged up. (y) Those who chose to pay via F&F won't need an invoice, and can use the same link as before. Either way, no need to pay until your order is ready.

Thanks again for your patience everyone, and for placing your trust in me. It's very much appreciated!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back