Chronicle / Efx Mandalorian prop replicas

I just started disassembling the first EFX I received.

Here are a few notes.

First off, 99% alcohol does take the weathering off without affecting the base helmet. This also means it takes off the paint applied to the upper cheeks, so if you do try this, avoid those areas or have a plan to repaint them at the least. I didn’t grab a photo of this, sorry. Just imagine the helmet with a clean spot.
View attachment 1325803
I was correct in my theory on their ears. They base coat the ear in a brighter silver and then used black to airbrush next to the stripes. In theory this could easily be corrected by stripping the ear back to the base metal, masking the highlight, and reapplying the black with an airbrush to tone the silver down.

View attachment 1325804
View attachment 1325857
Finally, the visor, for whatever stupid reason.. has a ton of tiny screws all along the edge. I had assumed it was just glued in and couldn’t tell until I had gotten that bottom edge up. Unfortunately the liner overlaps these screws and hot glue has filled in a lot of the ends.

I just got it out and noticed another interesting thing. There are two holes in most places, (and three or four in others!) which tells me this visor must have been installed twice. I believe the visor was installed in the higher holes when I removed it, I wish I paid closer attention.

And are you sure you can reassemble everything in the same way? I have some doubts...

Last edited:
And you're sure you can rebuild everything exactly the way it was? I have some doubts...

Make no mistakes about it.. Clients don’t send items to me to rebuild things the way they were. They send them to me to make them better. Considering I’ve finished something close to 15 Mandalorian helmets already, I think it’s a safe bet.

Try to do something productive with your life.

Make no mistakes about it.. Clients don’t send items to me to rebuild things the way they were. They send them to me to make them better. Considering I’ve finished something close to 15 Mandalorian helmets already, I think it’s a safe bet.

Try to do something productive with your life.

Oh ok, great! I can't wait to see the result in comparison to EFX's work. :cry:(y)

Last edited:
Mr Mold Makers work speaks for itself, there are NO doubts that it will go back together better than it was before. This post also highlights an important point, people’s helmets have been showing up with cracks, there is no doubt in my mind that these cracks are caused by the ham fisted way those visors have been installed, if you screw into Fiberglass it will crack and split, it’s brittle. Why oh WHY they chose to go down this dark road I have no idea.

I have no doubts the finishing will be improved. Do you plan on making any kind of changes to reduce the likelihood of more cracks forming or existing cracks getting worse? Seems like the design and methods used to make the helmet make cracks likely to occur.

Would be intersting to know how thick the material of the EFX is.I think to avoid more cracks in the future its absolute important to reinforce the helmet from the inside.

... there is no doubt in my mind that these cracks are caused by the ham fisted way those visors have been installed, if you screw into Fiberglass it will crack and split, it’s brittle. Why oh WHY they chose to go down this dark road I have no idea.

Why the hell they did´nt used hotglue for the visor? :rolleyes: :unsure:

Mr Mold Makers work speaks for itself, there are NO doubts that it will go back together better than it was before. This post also highlights an important point, people’s helmets have been showing up with cracks, there is no doubt in my mind that these cracks are caused by the ham fisted way those visors have been installed, if you screw into Fiberglass it will crack and split, it’s brittle. Why oh WHY they chose to go down this dark road I have no idea.

I'm new here and I'm not familiar with the work of Mr. Mold Makers. That's why I had my doubts about the final rendering. But I can't wait to see the final result, because yes, the EFX helmets have huge and unacceptable flaws. And I think that some defects (like the huge paint cracks and the enamelled visor) will be very difficult to remove.

Don't misunderstand. I am humble with all this, and I let the professionals work.

Last edited:

You're right It was a bad idea to screw the T visor like that.
I don't understand why they didn't chose the option of chicago screws instead. This is the best option to have a clean work.
Here's an example of what Artisan Fx did for their visors :
1594986761802.png

Could the casts be so bad and wonky that the visors need to be held with screws to give the correct shape/look? The helmet being under constant strain would explain the cracks, maybe.

Oh dear, I really thought about ordering the EFX version of the Mandalorian helmet, but I'm glad I didn't do it. Maybe I am too demanding but from an official replica and in this price range I just expect that you will get a perfect product. Of course mistakes happen everywhere, but what has already been shown here, oh my god. I hope for all of you who are still waiting for your helmet that you will not find any mistakes.

I will probably order now one from jsin props when the new run starts. I think this could be a good choice and an alternative.

I have no doubts the finishing will be improved. Do you plan on making any kind of changes to reduce the likelihood of more cracks forming or existing cracks getting worse? Seems like the design and methods used to make the helmet make cracks likely to occur.

Absolutely. My plan is to laminate some fiberglass cloth in the corner of the visor opening. It should be thin enough to not affect the visors fit, and hopefully provide a little more support.

Could the casts be so bad and wonky that the visors need to be held with screws to give the correct shape/look? The helmet being under constant strain would explain the cracks, maybe.

I have been watching it post visor removal and it hasn’t moved or warped or anything. If anything, it actually looks a lot better without that visor in. It was holding the mandibles together in a weird way, kind of pulled down a little which made the visor gap up top too wide.

Would be intersting to know how thick the material of the EFX is.I think to avoid more cracks in the future its absolute important to reinforce the helmet from the inside.

The corner of the visor opening measures 5mm and the mandibles vary from 5 to 8mm as they’ve got some curve to them.

I think I’m the lucky one here so far. I just got Number 577 of 750 and I have to say, it’s perfect.

No cracks, scratches or dents anywhere. Yes it is VERY DARK and the weathering is a bit heavier than the ANOVOS, but it’s really really nice. Especially since I got Round One of the “Dumbo Ears” ANOVOS version with the odd ear-thing.

I’ve done some unboxing pics and took it into the sun to shoot a few but if anyone wants any other pics let me know.

IMG_5182.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5179.JPG
IMG_5178.JPG
IMG_5177.JPG
IMG_5176.JPG
IMG_5175.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG
IMG_5173.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5172.JPG
    IMG_5172.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Some quick comparison pics. Honestly? I think they are pretty much the same color but the ANOVOS is super shiny with the weathering over the gloss. At least that’s the way it looks to me. I don’t have a professional photo studio setup but here they are. ANOVOS is on the shorter stand.

IMG_5190.JPG
IMG_5189.JPG
IMG_5187.JPG
IMG_5186.JPG
IMG_5185.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back