Chronicle / Efx Mandalorian prop replicas

Got mine today , overall it looks good .
mat first glance no cracks!!! But I will look at it again tomorrow under better light.
However, I find the visor to be fined and rough as if they painted the helmet with visor on.... I would have thought they installed it after ....has anyone noticed the same ?
here a pic I took with my phone , will take better ones later

It’s like they “cleaned it” after it was installed.

I don't understand. Do you have paint on the visor? :unsure:
What's the serial number on your helmet?

Anyway, I hope all the helmets had this adhesive, that seals the polystyrene box (see my picture), to pass the quality control. I can't believe that those with visible cracks (or glaring molding errors), passed the quality control without any problem.
It’s not paint but the visor is rough like it got clear coat overspray , mine is # 360 .... As I was opening it I thought to myself : was if they sent me one that someone else had returned...360 probably means I’m in the 2nd batch .... after more inspecting I found 1 crack by the visor, if this is only one I will probably keep it , sending it back I don’t know what I will get or even when ...

Attachments

• 4E04735D-E9F3-47B1-BFBF-A58A280BECF7.jpeg
    4E04735D-E9F3-47B1-BFBF-A58A280BECF7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 158
It’s not paint but the visor is rough like it got clear coat overspray , mine is # 360 .... As I was opening it I thought to myself : was if they sent me one that someone else had returned...360 probably means I’m in the 2nd batch .... after more inspecting I found 1 crack by the visor, if this is only one I will probably keep it , sending it back I don’t know what I will get or even when ...
Oh yes it had the QC sticker as well

Is it easy to remove the padding inside the helmet?When it is...you could make it stronger with 2 layers of fiberglass inside and then it will never break anywhere again.If these cracks are from the material.When this are cracks in the paint I think its better to send the helmet back because it can be that they used the wrong or no plasticprimer before they painted the helmets.And so its only a matter of time when the complete paintjob comes off.

Mine has a crack as well, otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. My only concern is if the crack grows or paint will flake off from it. One thing of note, when I opened the box it reeked of a paint thinner type smell - pretty sure I was high for a little bit lol

Definitely a concern, mine was cracked enough that it did have chips of paint come off

Oh no!! Another helmet with a crack! It's just unacceptable! I don't understand how it's possible, so many copies with defects like this. :mad:
The problem is...I don't think we can consolidate the crack inside (with fiberglass or something) because the padding is really well glued to the helmet. You'd have to peel everything off and that's not possible.

For the serial number, I don't think the numbers follow each other according to the shipping date. Because I only received my helmet last Monday, it has the number # 046 and I think I was also in the 2nd batch too. So...I think the helmets are being shipped randomly.

Last edited:
The question is:
Do they have enough replacement for all this defective helmets?

That is the question. :confused:
...And are we sure that the replacement helmets will not have any defects on the paint or anything else? Nothing is sure, and that's scary. Considering the quality control at EFX...we may have some doubts.

So I received mine here in New Zealand. The only issue is a small crack on the left cheek and I’m not sure what to do or how to ship back or if it’s even worth doing so. So much money already spent getting it here.

Yes and no. They did might have done a good job replicating the look of the helmet in a "dark scene", but it begs the question. "Why would you do that"? Why would you go that dark?

Why wouldn't you replicate the "Iconic helmet" everyone envisions when they think of the Mandalorian?

Something more like this...

intro-1592955687.jpg

That is the question. :confused:
...And are we sure that the replacement helmets will not have any defects on the paint or anything else? Nothing is sure, and that's scary. Considering the quality control at EFX...we may have some doubts.

Mine had a little spiderwebbing crack of the paint in the left cheek. But I can live with that compared to misaligned mandibles.

So yes. Replacement helmets will also have defects. Pick and choose your battles. I chose my battle, and luckily mine came out as a win.

I know it would never happen, but I really wish EFX would do a complete remake of these and re-ship. When you get the opportunity to get a direct cast from the show mold, one would think that ANY defects, no matter how small, would never make it off the production line. This was an opportunity for EFX to knock it out the park and they have certainly fallen short. I was lucky enough to get, what I consider, a near perfect helmet...but it still is disappointing to see others who have even the tiniest of defects. We all should have a perfect helmet...not just some of us.

They're not making 10 helmets, and picking the best one to use for the hero helmet, discarding 5 or 6, and using the rest as stunt helmets. EFX had to produce 750 helmets. Perfection across then entire helmet, 750 times? That's simply an unrealistic expectation. Some of the flaws are ridiculous. But others? Not so much?

Yes and no. They did might have done a good job replicating the look of the helmet in a "dark scene", but it begs the question. "Why would you do that"? Why would you go that dark?

Why wouldn't you replicate the "Iconic helmet" everyone envisions when they think of the Mandalorian?

Both the Anovos and efx are darker than expected. Maybe the sample provided is like that. Maybe Lucasfilm/Disney wanted the replicas to be darker. Sometimes the license holder wants the replica to not be too close to the real item. Lucasfilm/Disney approves the product. Licensed replica companies can't make the replicas any way they want.

There are plenty of other differences between the Anovos and efx, but they are both darker than expected.

They're not making 10 helmets, and picking the best one to use for the hero helmet, discarding 5 or 6, and using the rest as stunt helmets. EFX had to produce 750 helmets. Perfection across then entire helmet, 750 times? That's simply an unrealistic expectation. Some of the flaws are ridiculous. But others? Not so much?
Well I don’t disagree, however, I was referring to “perfect” being subjective… Meaning that each one of us should be able to have a helmet that we can look at and don’t have to say to ourselves “I guess I can live with those cracks, etc...”. It’s more about being perfect to each one of us, including the variations between the helmets because no two will ever be the exact same.

Something more like this...

View attachment 1325794

Did you seen your helmet ever under desert sun? ;) :D

I just started disassembling the first EFX I received.

Here are a few notes.

First off, 99% alcohol does take the weathering off without affecting the base helmet. This also means it takes off the paint applied to the upper cheeks, so if you do try this, avoid those areas or have a plan to repaint them at the least. I didn’t grab a photo of this, sorry. Just imagine the helmet with a clean spot.
772FCC8D-EF74-42C7-BF64-D4F1185AC49D.jpeg

I was correct in my theory on their ears. They base coat the ear in a brighter silver and then used black to airbrush next to the stripes. In theory this could easily be corrected by stripping the ear back to the base metal, masking the highlight, and reapplying the black with an airbrush to tone the silver down.

C766D08E-55CB-44E8-A096-48600834C561.jpeg

729377C3-CE90-40F3-8CF0-58F85424DF08.jpeg

Finally, the visor, for whatever stupid reason.. has a ton of tiny screws all along the edge. I had assumed it was just glued in and couldn’t tell until I had gotten that bottom edge up. Unfortunately the liner overlaps these screws and hot glue has filled in a lot of the ends.

I just got it out and noticed another interesting thing. There are two holes in most places, (and three or four in others!) which tells me this visor must have been installed twice. I believe the visor was installed in the higher holes when I removed it, I wish I paid closer attention.

Last edited:
One more note. The crack I mentioned a few posts back travels all the way through the helmet to the inside. It is not just cracking in the paint or gelcoat on this particular helmet. When I removed the visor I accidentally flexed the helmet and sent a chip flying.

Attachments

• 8B01EEAD-4E46-4FCA-B370-1F45DBF74F00.jpeg
    8B01EEAD-4E46-4FCA-B370-1F45DBF74F00.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 196
  • 1862FC7A-5E4E-4049-8E75-DB1BC7EEE928.jpeg
    1862FC7A-5E4E-4049-8E75-DB1BC7EEE928.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 189
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back