Attention: BANDAI will stop selling kits outside Japan

If I understand correctly, it seems like there was a misunderstanding. So they may have very well been counting their overall sales, when projecting their product.

I'm not sure about a misunderstanding, but yes...they project sales figures when they think about bringing out a product. If its not a moneymaker, it won't be released. I have no inside information, and am just theorizing, based on common business practices.

TazMan2000

I like this guy, he is getting to the point: www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=9kiUKG0sEAA

I agree with Grendels & I'm done with Revell also,....they aren't passionate about their products,.....in the video by Revell when the GM gets handed the Fine Molds kit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqt0xoWi4yM

Its plain to see that the Falcon model has pieces missing & is poorly painted even though the GM proudly says it was painted professionally.....compare their video, which was poorly shot to the huge Bandai displays where there is love & attention in what they do,......one company seems to have no idea & the other is fully focussed

If only Bandai had the global market

J

For all its worth iv emailed the BBC to see if they would be interested in this news. there is clearly a public outcry, maybe they can get somthing going, who knows.

Do we know for sure that revell cried to Disney on this?

Whether they did or not, it doesn't matter.

Badgrendels and everyone else here saying that Revell is to blame is seriously misinformed.

Bandai breached their contract, plain and simple. And they fixed it, plain and simple.

Disney is the only one that has any say in the matter. And if Disney's license agreements with Bandai says "Japan Only" then Bandai breached it by allowing their domestic retailers to sell overseas.

If Disney had not enforced it... then they are liable to all the other contracts they made with US (and other) market companies which promised exclusive distribution.

It's not just Revell... it's Disney's contractual promise to all of their licensees that they have exclusive markets that they can sell in.

Disney needs to uphold their side of the agreements.

And in the end can you blame Revell for that? They are only making products that sell here in the US, nothing more.

We are a sliver of a niche market. We'll get our Bandai kits but we'll pay a bit more for them.

Despite what you read here or anywhere, it is total speculation. Unless you get insider information from a Disney or Revell employee in a high position, you will never find the truth. Everyone, including myself, is making an educated guess based on observation.

TazMan2000

I like this guy, he is getting to the point: www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=9kiUKG0sEAA
Quality wise, I can understand this guys position.
I have the impression that his other statements are coming out of frustration because Revell does not make the kits he wants and are NOT based on facts or knowledge.
For me, the way he is blaming Revell without any proof is just lame. More and more info indicates that Revell has not pushed Disney into action.
Regarding the Episode 7 x-wing: He is comparing a kit with a toy. He does not mention that Revell is going to offer a snap kit too. I know, it will most likely be inferior in quality compared to the Bandai kit, but it will be far better than Revells light and sound toy.

Please do not get me wrong. This guy is free to say whatever he wants. I see a big difference in saying Revell is responsible and speculating that Revell might be responsible. For me, this guy is acting like his accusations are facts. Unless he presents inside information, I can just smile at these statements.

I am looking forward to buy both kits (Bandais kit & Revells snap kit) and see for myself how big the quality difference of these two kits is. I have the feeling that the quality of the finished models will depend more on modeling skills and especially painting skills than on the kits itself. I have seen build ups of Revell Star Wars kits on exhibitions that are absolutely amazing.

Regarding sales numbers: Revell Germany employees told me, that the fraction of exported kits (not just of their own) is very small. I think that retailers like HobbyLinkJapan are making a large percentage of their sales with exporting kits. For them this situation is a big hit. For Bandai, loosing those exports should hopefully not be that big issue.

Michael

I agree with Grendels & I'm done with Revell also,....they aren't passionate about their products,.....in the video by Revell when the GM gets handed the Fine Molds kit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqt0xoWi4yM

Its plain to see that the Falcon model has pieces missing & is poorly painted even though the GM proudly says it was painted professionally.....compare their video, which was poorly shot to the huge Bandai displays where there is love & attention in what they do,......one company seems to have no idea & the other is fully focussed

If only Bandai had the global market

J

That video was embarrassing. Professional my ass

One thing that has not been considered is that will the contracts for distribution will be relaxed AFTER the release of TFA ?

Regardless of which company, Disney, Bandai or Revell is "responsible" for the current export restrictions, it leads to panic buying. Once the movie has been released there will probably be more than enough models for everyone to buy multiple numbers of each kit.

The current "ban" is probably to build inventory for sale after the movie has hit the cinema.

Food for thought - were any models released prior to the screening of the OT ? The same question applies to the PT.

It is simple economics. Make people pay more now and less after the movie screens.

I'm more pissed that Revell isn't offering anything for we more experienced modelers from the NEW movie. They say that they have kits for more experienced modelers in the Master-Series, but they are completely different subject matter....those kits might as well be cars, planes, or tanks. I want descent kits from the new movie. The level 2 Snaptite Max kits are a slight step up from the level 1 build and play kits...at least the X-wings are....but they are still a FAR cry from a Bandai kit. For a closer look at the Level 2 kits click on an image here for more detailed pictures.

http://www.revell.de/produkte/star-wars/star-wars-episode-vii.html
a lot of my hope went out the window. :( Better than the level 1...yes...but still not very good.

That is what pisses me off the most, Revell/their supporters keep saying the hobby is dying and they need to get kids interested. Sure that's great....but you are leaving NOTHING for them to grow into. Revell, regardless of how this ban came about, you ARE helping kill the hobby by offering substandard kits/toys....the GM even calls them that.....aimed only at small children.

Chris

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Whether they did or not, it doesn't matter.

Badgrendels and everyone else here saying that Revell is to blame is seriously misinformed.

Bandai breached their contract, plain and simple. And they fixed it, plain and simple.

Disney is the only one that has any say in the matter. And if Disney's license agreements with Bandai says "Japan Only" then Bandai breached it by allowing their domestic retailers to sell overseas.

If Disney had not enforced it... then they are liable to all the other contracts they made with US (and other) market companies which promised exclusive distribution.

It's not just Revell... it's Disney's contractual promise to all of their licensees that they have exclusive markets that they can sell in.

Disney needs to uphold their side of the agreements.

And in the end can you blame Revell for that? They are only making products that sell here in the US, nothing more.

We are a sliver of a niche market. We'll get our Bandai kits but we'll pay a bit more for them.

What a total load of horse droppings from a new poster.

Revell can't compete, so they bring the mouse to hammer Bandai with threats of lawsuits, for supposed breach of contract. Bandai could most likely fight and win, but would you want to go up against all the lawyers Disney can afford?

IThat is what pisses me off the most, Revell/their supporters keep saying the hobby is dying and they need to get kids interested. Sure that's great....but you are leaving NOTHING for them to grow into. Revell, regardless of how this ban came about, you ARE helping kill the hobby by offering substandard kits/toys....the GM even calls them that.....aimed only at small children.

Chris

Bingo. I don't buy that argument either. People who chose to build a model, rather than just buy a toy, are inherently creative. They are looking for something more than just assembling a toy. They're looking to recreate realism in scale. They're looking for a tactile experience of holding, exploring and becoming immersed in a subject -- whether it's a plane a tank or a fictional spaceship. The whole point is realism: using artistic skill to recreate what we see in real life or, as in the case of sci-fi models, what we see on screen. Revell's kits don't strive for that. They approximate a general shape and say, "Eh, good enough." Revell is making the mistake of assuming (frankly, insultingly so) that sci-fi modelers are just kids who want to "whoosh-whoosh" their models around once their assembled. While every one of us has whooshed a kit once or twice while it's being assembled on the bench, we don't do it for that. Most of us are looking for a terrific-looking display piece. We're looking to have a physical representation of that ship or character from a movie/TV show we enjoy. Revell's dumbed-down kits show at best a lack of understanding of sci-fi modelers and at worst an appearance of disdain. They want our money, but don't want to put in much effort to earn it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back