I've added the exploded view pdf. I saved it as an A1 size, so if someone wanted to print it out 1:1 they could. No water mark on that one ;)

I've added the exploded view pdf. I saved it as an A1 size, so if someone wanted to print it out 1:1 they could. No water mark on that one ;)

It looks like you don't have any washers for the transistors in the clamp in that drawing -- unless I'm getting the wrong file from the "Obiwan Light Saber assembly exploded view.PDF" link in the first post?

inches:
4088C870-8AA0-4C02-83DD-E9FEAD4EB632.jpeg
133A9DE7-0ECF-4B8F-86D2-0BD099FF2AB2.jpeg
581275AF-20DD-49E7-994C-3F4F27D3FF96.jpeg
92E4A27A-5729-4404-84B5-9DACE864ADCD.jpeg

mm:
5E35A34D-E9DD-4814-8234-4C9412286D6A.jpeg
D753C1BC-91BE-48F2-94D1-CD2AA7A78BEF.jpeg
A75042C4-E51D-4EA1-BA13-74A9D4BB92BB.jpeg
D8DB78C9-CBD6-4395-8B43-13D6A95AC03C.jpeg

It looks like you don't have any washers for the transistors in the clamp in that drawing -- unless I'm getting the wrong file from the "Obiwan Light Saber assembly exploded view.PDF" link in the first post?
That’s right, I don’t have measurements for them yet so I’ve left them off. Same with the D ring.

Hey Sabs ! I've had a set of digital calipers for a few years now, and I was trying to figure out what you were doing in the first photo in post #40, when all of a sudden I had an "AH-HA!" moment. I've always thought the thin metal strip that pokes out of the bottom of the calipers was a track guide or that it had something to do with how the electronics measure lengths inside the caliper head. Seeing it used again in the second photo it all made sense and I was a bit gob-smacked that I hadn't guessed at the actual use of that metal strip.

You learn something every day, thank you for that, I'll see if I can repay the favor. It might take a day or four, this has been a rough week for me, but I'll see if I can get you a couple of measurements.

Hey Sabs ! I've had a set of digital calipers for a few years now, and I was trying to figure out what you were doing in the first photo in post #40, when all of a sudden I had an "AH-HA!" moment. I've always thought the thin metal strip that pokes out of the bottom of the calipers was a track guide or that it had something to do with how the electronics measure lengths inside the caliper head. Seeing it used again in the second photo it all made sense and I was a bit gob-smacked that I hadn't guessed at the actual use of that metal strip.

You learn something every day, thank you for that, I'll see if I can repay the favor. It might take a day or four, this has been a rough week for me, but I'll see if I can get you a couple of measurements.
Yea no problem. You can also use the back side at the jaw end to measure off a lip. It’s more reliable when you have enough space because you can be sure you’re measuring perpendicular to an edge. The back part is best for holes.

Now go and be accurate!

Sabs

Look what I found!!

I know it’s the wrong grenade, but I’m pretty sure the measurements are the same for the body part. Now to find technical drawings of the actual grenade. Most likely will have to track down the author of the book I found this in, or take a trip to the imperial war museum in England. Has anyone been there?

Attachments

• Scan fra MTI.pdf
    431.9 KB · Views: 308
Look what I found!!

I know it’s the wrong grenade, but I’m pretty sure the measurements are the same for the body part. Now to find technical drawings of the actual grenade. Most likely will have to track down the author of the book I found this in, or take a trip to the imperial war museum in England. Has anyone been there?

where did you find this? the other grenade is not there?

Btw, this is the grenade on that blueprint:
717059_-_photo_2_1413296223_big.jpg

Last edited:
where did you find this? the other grenade is not there?

Btw, this is the grenade on that blueprint:
View attachment 1011061
Yes I know, the no20 grenade was also described in detail in the book. This is the inside cover of a book called “grenade” by Rick Landers (edited). It’s really expensive but some large libraries have it. The no3 mk1 is described in the book with some photos and how it was modified and how it worked, etc. But this was the only blue print. The back inside cover also had a blueprint but it was of a completely different round grenade.

So far it’s been a dead end, since the book is self published in Australia and he closed his company in 2016. I dove pretty deep into trying to get a hold of this guy. I’ve also tried to get a hold of his research partners but nothing has come back yet. Someone in Australia with some connection to the Australian War Memorial might have more luck.

Sabs

Last edited:
Hey Sabs ! Life's been nutty on my end this past month, and I haven't had time to get to those measuerments, but I thought this might tide you over a bit... I think I posted these in the The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group thread, or somewhere in another Obi-Wan's Lightsaber related thread...

GRENADE - HALES - No 3 - BLUEPRINT - 001.jpg

GRENADE - HALES - No 11 - BLUEPRINT - 001.jpg

GRENADE - HALES - No 3 - BLUEPRINT - 002.jpg

GRENADE - HALES - No 11 MkI - DIAGRAM - 01.png
GRENADE - HALES - No3 - MkI - DIAGRAM - 303 Short Rifle - 01.jpg

That No20 blueprint you found is AWESOME! I'd always figured it was one large cutting wheel used to grind out the 'V-Grooves' and that it was simply dropped into it a bit like bringing down a power mitre saw part way. teecrooz or ... I can't remember who, posted up an image of a double-wheeled cutter which may have explained the asymetrical cut grenades' V-grooves ways back in another thread. But it looks like the cuts were made by a much smaller wheel than I'd imagined and it was run into, then down the length of the fragmentation body, then backed out at the other end.

I've been thinking to experiment with a little Super Sculpey by smashing it down into the grooves of my Hale's Grenade, and then baking it to get a reverse image of the groove to see how it may have been made. I might have to give this a go tomorrow if I can find the time! If it looks like that 1.575" Radius lines up with what's in mine, that'd be really fun to see!

The No20 was very similar to the No11(or No3 MkII depending on the site you're looking at), but lacked the windvane of the No3 MkI/MkII and No11. I think the main difference between the No3 MkII and the No11 is the end cap and the rifle rod clip, or lack thereof.

With the wide variety of No3 MkI's we've seen here on The RPF alone, a blueprint of it will only tell us what it was supposed to look like, rather than exactly how the grenades turned out. I'd still like to see that blueprint though to base my personal "ideal" Obi-Wan Grenade section off of!

Do any of our British members know anyone at the Ministry of Defense? Just say to them... "Be a good chap and procure me an Hale's Grenade blueprint from the archives if you would be so kind." <--- Now there's a conversation starter!

I think juajn7fernandez has one of the prettiest Hale's Grenades, those are the measurements I'd want... or a mold from, just sayin' . ;)

Hey Sabs ! Life's been nutty on my end this past month, and I haven't had time to get to those measuerments, but I thought this might tide you over a bit... I think I posted these in the The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group thread, or somewhere in another Obi-Wan's Lightsaber related thread...

View attachment 1011191

View attachment 1011192

View attachment 1011193

View attachment 1011196
View attachment 1011197

That No20 blueprint you found is AWESOME! I'd always figured it was one large cutting wheel used to grind out the 'V-Grooves' and that it was simply dropped into it a bit like bringing down a power mitre saw part way. teecrooz or ... I can't remember who, posted up an image of a double-wheeled cutter which may have explained the asymetrical cut grenades' V-grooves ways back in another thread. But it looks like the cuts were made by a much smaller wheel than I'd imagined and it was run into, then down the length of the fragmentation body, then backed out at the other end.

I've been thinking to experiment with a little Super Sculpey by smashing it down into the grooves of my Hale's Grenade, and then baking it to get a reverse image of the groove to see how it may have been made. I might have to give this a go tomorrow if I can find the time! If it looks like that 1.575" Radius lines up with what's in mine, that'd be really fun to see!

The No20 was very similar to the No11(or No3 MkII depending on the site you're looking at), but lacked the windvane of the No3 MkI/MkII and No11. I think the main difference between the No3 MkII and the No11 is the end cap and the rifle rod clip, or lack thereof.

With the wide variety of No3 MkI's we've seen here on The RPF alone, a blueprint of it will only tell us what it was supposed to look like, rather than exactly how the grenades turned out. I'd still like to see that blueprint though to base my personal "ideal" Obi-Wan Grenade section off of!

Do any of our British members know anyone at the Ministry of Defense? Just say to them... "Be a good chap and procure me an Hale's Grenade blueprint from the archives if you would be so kind." <--- Now there's a conversation starter!

I think juajn7fernandez has one of the prettiest Hale's Grenades, those are the measurements I'd want... or a mold from, just sayin' . ;)
Well actually some of those are the same grenade just with parts removed or when a different manufacturer started making them. I encourage you to see if a library near you has the book. It was really informative.

The grooves were all cut on a mill from the side. If you look up how gears are cut you can see how it’s done with a gear indexer. It would be much cheaper to make them this way than with cnc. I have a plan to make a jig so I can try to make one with a router. Just need a 60deg cutting wheel.

The asymmetrical look is an illusion. They are spaced equally. You have to do some tricky stuff to make it symmetric actually.

Hey Sabs ! What's the ISBN on that book? I Googled but couldn't find anything about it.

Hey teecrooz ! Do you have that double cutter image or was that Sym-Cha or parfaitelumiere ?

I remember reading that the changes in the rifle grenades were due to malfunctions in the field. Sometimes the grenade would slide out of the rifle and detonate on impact, and sometimes the grenades would not arm or detonate in flight or when they struck what they were fired at. And there was mention of operator error too unfortunately.

I still want a full inconel Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber, I know I'm the only one that does, but if I ever hit the lottery, I'm gonna make it happen! I'll make it with the slightly longer tail like the straight sided No3 too to give the GRAFLEX Clamp a little more material to hold on to.

Off to see if I'm awake enough to bake a grenade!

My mistake, It's by Rick Landers not Landry. If you search for his name and grenade you should find it.

The book said that they changed it because it was expensive to manufacture and the wind vane could malfunction, which is how it worked. It was too complicated. From the book:
IMG_8118.jpg

I'd also like to see this double cutter, but I'm confident it's not how they were made.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back