ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by deadbolt, Jun 10, 2011.

1. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Not necessary. Just helps keep the paper from getting clogged too fast. Keeps the cutting surfash cleaner. I’ve never had an issue not wet sanding. Usually more for final finishing to get close befor polishing to gloss IMO.

2. thegnome

thegnome New Member

ok thanks again, very useful information. :)

3. thegnome

thegnome New Member

For the hole drilling is there a needed amp to make it through the side wall? I found a drill press that has 2.4 amps. Here it is 8 in. 5 Speed Bench Drill Press Or is there a better one for a price lower than a hundred dollars?

4. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pew pew pew
    BF1D8579-8C71-4910-82AA-048F881217C7.jpeg

jorged123, CT1138, deadbolt and 3 others like this.
  5. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Great pic! I do love that set of photos - haven’t seen this one before! Makes me think 2 things:

1) Jesus that’s a live fire weapon
    2) The pocket on the bottom left is still so strange.

Also, does the distance between the scope mount and pistol look larger than anyone else imagined/seen in their replicas?

6. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Well-Known Member

I know how that pocket works. When you going to get with me bro? ;)

7. Garrett Smith

Garrett Smith New Member

Hey Dan, Who's scope mount did you go with? Nice work by the way, It looks awesome

8. quarryman

quarryman Well-Known Member

Interesting picture there. The windage knob looks to be at a less severe angle compared to the receiver than in other caps. It seems more parallel to the top of the receiver to me. Still off square, but closer than I thought previously.

thd9791 likes this.
  9. phillbarron

phillbarron Jr Member

Kinda looks like the 'empty' third pouch on the belt isn't so empty there.

10. Davy Jones

Davy Jones Well-Known Member

That pouch isnt empty in any picture I've seen. Probably just a wood block though.

11. phillbarron

phillbarron Jr Member

Well, colour me surprised.

Davy Jones likes this.
  12. Dann

Dann Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a Field Marshal scope mount.

I've actually been meaning to get back to that particular part, the cradle and rings. I've got another one here that I've sanded smooth and polished, just need to do the rings. And then blue them.

I've got a picture on my phone here somewhere of the cradle..
    0906181154_HDR.jpg

13. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Yeah, it looks like the FH and upper were cropped out and moved to the left to show some Ford chin. Looks doctored to me...

14. Dann

Looks right to me....
    1214182124.jpg

H0llyw00d and thd9791 like this.
  15. kpax

kpax Sr Member

No reason to chop a preproduction test image.

The different look is simply due to camera perspective and lens.

Dann and H0llyw00d like this.
  16. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

I think you're right. So the two knobs over the FH in that photo are the original piston greeblies. So they used that photo shoot in the junkyard as a live-fire test as well and lost the left greebly then. Fascinating...

Dann likes this.
  17. kpax

kpax Sr Member

I had done a lengthy reasoning for my belief of how the front sight greeblie was made and its final appearance post production back in the day... but the long and short of it is that I believe originally the front sight was built and attached much like seen on the MerrSon version. Note the comparison of the MerrSon cast and the ANH hero.

I believe the Antenna rods were glued directly on the barrel and NOT on the T track. The comparisons IMO prove this. The antenna simply sit TOO high when attached to the track. My model matches the outline on the HERO exactly. I feel the only think we see in the final post production images is the right side antenna head and glue residue. I believe there was only the vertical upright blade dividing the antenna which provides the perfect gap for the images.

In some production images we can see half the right antenna rod and others it is longer.

I believe the antenna sight was assembled with full length rods as shown in my recreation and when first fired, the ejected case knocked the left antenna off completely and broke the right one off short.... OR Ford "may" have dropped it since there is other damage to the blaster.

anh blaster antenna proof new.jpg

18. Gregatron

Gregatron Well-Known Member

I did a bunch of research when doing my recent (and very first) DL-44, kpax, and I came across your assertions during that process. I agree with you. So, I went with a slimmed down t-track, and the pushrods glued directly to the barrel on either side of it. Looks spot-on, to my eye. The Merr-Sonn seems like a reasonable Rosetta Stone, in this instance. Same build technique used on similar props built at the same time.

kpax likes this.
  19. Dann

Thanks for this photo collage! I think I've seen almost all of those comparison shots, but it's nice to have them all together in one big image.

I remember all the discussion back then about the sight greeblie setup, but for whatever reason, I draw a complete blank about the T track base not being there! I'm totally convinced, though, and (thanks to you) I'm gonna change my replica "accordingly". (I never use words like that when I'm speaking, I think it's silly that I can type in such a vastly dissimilar way to how I normally talk. And there I go again, "vastly dissimilar"?! I'd never say that!)

ANYWAY, I also remember your theory about the front sight parts and the way they broke. Makes perfect sense to me.

I ALSO remember when that almost perfect Hero replica was presented to us, complete with totally convincing "vintage" replica photographs! My favorite replica of this blaster to this day!

I think one of the photos even recently fooled a member here into thinking it was a real reference pic, now THAT'S sayin' something!

kpax likes this.
  20. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Drilling thru the side wall of the Mauser? A Denix or MGC you can use a dremel or drill if you don't have a press. Very easy and thin. Real steel Mauser you can use below method but will be a bit tougher.

Assuming you will be "color finishing" the blaster after you drill. And assuming you disassembled the frame.

You can set up the cross bar where you want it and tac it in place with crazy glue. Get it in the exact position you want. Squared up etc. A drop or two of crazy glue to hold it then you can clamp in place. Also can just use clamps if you have an extra hand.

Use the crossbar holes as a drill guide and slowly drill thru.

The side wall is very thin especially on the mag well using a nut inside the mag well helps strengthen the assembly.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  21. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Thanks! I had considered posting the "trick" images I made up as "just found" real blaster images but reconsidered... I did not want to give you guys a heart attack or anything.... and the fall out would have been hell to pay ! ; )

here is a sample... just for fun.

blaster case trick for post.jpg

halliwax likes this.
  22. thegnome

thegnome New Member

I did what you said to the exterior the gun is finished! I am surprised that the screws are almost at a 90 degree angle in relation to the body of the gun. You can not even see any angular perturbance from 90 degrees. I am going to paint the scope with spray paint, the same with the bull barrel and the rest. I am using chubsANDdoggers how-to forum to finish the blaster. The cross bar is parallel with the line above too. It looks perfect. I need to sand away the screw that the hammer hits so that can be movie accurate. The next part is to etch out the paint to make it look exactly like Solos. I am going to buy a Dremel too to make the etching on the bottom of the body, scope, left side of the barrel. Thank you again Kpax.

kpax likes this.
  23. kpax

kpax Sr Member

^^ post some pics when you're ready !

: )

24. kpax

kpax Sr Member

25. Gregatron

Here’s mine, by the way.

Attached Files:

kpax and jorged123 like this.
  26. thegnome

thegnome New Member

Is the scope one the originals? The blaster looks really good.

27. Gregatron

Field Marshall scope/mount and Todd’s Costumes flash hider/barrel on a modified Denix.

28. thegnome

thegnome New Member

29. halliwax

Wwwwwwhhhhat!!! Never seen the pic with the breifcases!! The flash hider off too!! Wicked

30. Dann

Oh yes, I remember that, too! I think you made the right choice. Haha!

31. thegnome

thegnome New Member

How does using a dremel to cut out the bottom of the bought barrel where the incision is a half moon to hit the half circle of the bottom of the guns barrel to make the transition from the body of the gun to be flawless with no interruptions. Would that work? Of course after shaving off some the slope from the body to the barrel to have to be a snug fit.

32. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Not sure what your bull barrel looks like. Some had a half moon relief cut to make assembly easier for most. If the Mauser barrel/ receiver is shaved the bull barrel will snug in nicely.

Dremel and files work well to shave it down. Go slow. When you think you’re getting close, go slower! ; )

Keep dry fitting.

Some bull barrels had a flat edge on the bottom. This flat should line up with the 2 parallel edges seen below under. The receiver and would “ cover “the half moon on the Mauser.

Btw. IF you have to fill a small crack or gap you can use steel or Zamac filings. ( very fine from sanding) in to epoxy and fill gap. After filing/sanding the surface it will take bluing. Make it thick with metal! Not perfect... but not a bad fix.

upload_2018-12-19_14-26-52.jpeg

thegnome likes this.
  33. thegnome

thegnome New Member

Thanks you! This is obviously is going to be the most technical part of the build (I hope) so thank you again. Just to make it clear you are talking about using the file on the body? right, or on the bull barrel?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  34. Gregatron

I did mine the hard way, by hacking off the Denix barrel, drilling into the receiver, and threading it to accept Todd’s bull barrel. It was a bee-yotch to do, and literally took days with my Dremel installed into a cheapie Dremel drill-press mount. I ended up epoxying the barrel into place, and it therefore can’t be unscrewed. This was necessary so as to eliminate the unsightly Denix screw which holds the barrel to the receiver. I also epoxied the upper to the lower, and filled and sanded smooth the pins holding the trigger and whatnot in place. So, this build can’t be disassembled, but the trade-off is a more accurate look.

But, I can take comfort in the fact that I attached the bull barrel exactly as the original was, as opposed to a slip-fit barrel. Compared to all of the work I did, a slip-fit would be a cinch!

kpax likes this.
  35. kpax

kpax Sr Member

On the body. I had made up a template of the material to remove. I’ll try to post later.

Basically if you use a piece of tape and wrap it around the Mauser barrel at the squared off areas (green) perpendicular to the Mauser barrel on the receiver, that is where you need to file off material. Flat and square to that line. A little at a time util the bull barrel fits.

You can either wrap some electric tape around the mauser barrel to "fill the gap and stop the wiggle between the 2 barrels. Once you get it placed correctly you can use epoxy inside between the 2 to hold in place if you want or just jam the bull barrel over the tape if you think you may want to remove it at some point.

NOTE: On "some" base guns (Denix) the receiver "hex" flats may need to be filed flatter and better to match the bevels on the bull barrel.
    blaster barrel fit.jpg

cjchiu, thegnome and SpeedRacerx like this.
  36. kpax

kpax Sr Member

That is the way ( more or less) that a real barrel would be attached.

The alternative way as DEC originally offered was to hack off the denix barrel at the green tape line. file square and straight. Drill barrel hole in receiver. The DEC screw on barrel had a 14/20 threaded rod that you could fit on the bull barrel and then simply epoxy the other end in the receiver hole. A loose hole would allow you to adjust the fit and straighten the barrel as the glue set. Then the bull barrel could be unscrewed if desired.

37. Gregatron

I must say that it was immensely satisfying to screw that bull barrel on for the first time. Felt SO authentic!

Hostamon, thegnome and kpax like this.
  38. thegnome

thegnome New Member

Wow, amazing - thanks again! The photos made where the transition was very clear, : )

kpax likes this.
  39. SpeedRacerx

SpeedRacerx Active Member

Thank you for posting this process/picture. Been looking for something like this for a couple years now lol. I have a Todd barrel kit and a Denix still waiting to be tackled...

kpax likes this.
  40. Garrett Smith

Garrett Smith New Member

Help.
    I just received a ANH scope and mount from war machine paintball. Does anyone have directions on how all the lens, brass, glass, black plastic ring and stickers go together? I feel like a dumb a.. But I don't want to do it incorrectly

Thanks in advance
    Garrett

41. halliwax

I didn’t have any instructions when I did the one for my client. But it was pretty straight forward just play around with the pieces until they all fit ;)

The sticker I put on the inside of the lens though

42. Dann

I finally finished refinishing my Field Marshall cradle, rings and scope.

Months ago I was polishing the cradle, well yesterday or the day before I took some pics after the parts were reblued, and I called it done for now, yet again!

Please excuse the GENEROUS coating of Barricade in several of these shots.

And, since these pics were taken I've made a few changes already. I repainted the crossbar, if you look closely, the weathering on the right side of it changes about halfway through these pics. I've also done more to the weathering on the crossbar knobs, but that was today, so you won't see that here.

I STILL need to fix my sight greeblie assembly, thanks to Kpax!

1220180139_HDR.jpg 1220180139.jpg 1220182303.jpg 1221181454.jpg 1221181455a.jpg 1221181459.jpg 1222181650.jpg 1222181650b.jpg 1222181652.jpg 1222181651.jpg 1222181652a.jpg

I also refinished my old DEC parts! I just need a cheap Denix to put them on! These parts are aluminum, whereas the FM stuff is all steel. And actually, the flash hider/bull barrel on my MGC up top is a steel DEC. I don't have a FM flash hider or bull barrel, though they're gorgeous, as well.

1222181653.jpg 1222181654.jpg 1222181655.jpg 1222181655a.jpg 1222181655b.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    halliwax likes this.
  43. Garrett Smith

Garrett Smith New Member

The smaller side is simple. Did you glue it in? It’s the larger side that I’m questioning. There’s a black plastic
    I get the small side. It’s the large side that I’m not getting. Do you put the lense in the brass collar then push in the black plastic ring? Then the next brass ring on top of that? That’s how I would think it would go, but the black plastic ring won’t fit inside. So I’m totally confused.

44. Dann

I think he's updated his Hensoldt replica since mine, so I'm sorry I can't be more help. I don't think I have this black plastic spacer you're talking about. Well, I KNOW I don't! :)

45. halliwax

Outstanding!!!

Dann likes this.
  46. Garrett Smith

Garrett Smith New Member

Is there a book thats shows a lot of the Star Wars blasters and weapons. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Garrett

47. Dann

Chronicles is one of the absolute best books out there for pictures.

There's the Visual Dictionaries, as well as From Star Wars to Indiana Jones.

There's some more, I think a recent publication focused more on the costumes.

Here you go, here's a couple pics for ya..
    1224181702.jpg 1224181705.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  48. halliwax

Wow the Star Wars to Indiana Jones book is only 5 bucks on eBay!!

Dann likes this.
  49. halliwax

Dann

Any special year chronicles we need to buy?

50. Dann

I honestly have no idea. I've had mine for a looooong time. I don't know if newer or older ones are any different.

Apparently it was first published in Japan in 1995?

Mine is from 1997, and it's in English. Doesn't say whether it's the "first printing" or anything like that.

Here's a shot of the Foreward...
    1224182027.jpg 1224182027a.jpg

thegnome and halliwax like this.