ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by deadbolt, Jun 10, 2011.

1. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks buddy! I’ll keep my eyes open

Dann likes this.
  2. chubsANDdoggers

chubsANDdoggers Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolutely beautiful !!

Dann likes this.
  3. Dann

Dann Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, thanks!

Been working on new sight assemblies... In this first pic, the far left is what I've had on the blaster for years. And moving from left to right, the second one is a real Millett front sight that was at one time intended for one of my Series 70 Colt 1911s (ended up using the same model but with an orange line, and I think it was a few thousandths taller, I can't remember and I sold that Colt a few years back :( ) I thought it was kinda funny but cool to use it for a Han sight. The next one to the right is what I'm thinking is as close as I can get to what Kpax has on his blaster (and I think it's what I'll be switching to my blaster soon), and the last one is a little too long, I had planned on cutting it down some.
    1227181620.jpg 1227181620a.jpg 1227181620b.jpg 1227181621a.jpg 1227181622.jpg 1227181623.jpg

4. Gregatron

Gregatron Well-Known Member

Very cool. Artistic license is all good and fine for fuzzy details like this. My first attempt at the sight resulted in something similar to the third-from-left version in your top photo.

But, upon reflection, I concluded that the actual prop probably just had the raw t-track blade (flanked by the pushrods), a la the Merr-Sonn, and so I removed and replaced the sight assembly.

5. chubsANDdoggers

Here u can see the length of the one of the greeblie that’s still on (preproduction)..

ADMIN EDIT: Photo removed

but by the time filmimg wrapped the tail must have broken off..
    C1ECE074-7AB3-4090-9BB8-9DB3E79F00EE.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    kpax and H0llyw00d like this.
  6. chubsANDdoggers

These pics make it look like the base mauser was it’s original color. The first pic is before they added the mystery disk I realize but the 2nd pic does make it look blued all over
    8D843B1D-41FE-431D-8270-A5AB86A43F44.jpeg
    802C2136-3543-4E9A-9ED3-03D8940049C2.jpeg
    D3D917C7-97F4-4615-A70A-4BDB37D43CDD.jpeg

thegnome likes this.
  7. halliwax

Where the heck did the first photo come from?!?! I’ve never seen that before!!

8. chubsANDdoggers

I’m sure you have. Might not recognize it though but It’s a pic that’s been around I just raised the exposure and took everything else out so it “pops” more.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    halliwax likes this.
  9. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

It's the pic that Scott gripes when you post. But it shows the T-track plainly. I don't see why the prop masters would grind down the t-track and jeopardize the structural integrity but the forum is all about different experiences.

10. thegnome

thegnome New Member

so you shave off to the part where the drop from where the screw is to the barrel? Because my Denis is accordance to the photo the sight is in accordance with what I just said. And if I cut too much could I put some type of putty that hardens into a metalesque substance?

11. Dann

Do whut, now?

chubsANDdoggers likes this.
  12. H0llyw00d

H0llyw00d Sr Member

Screw it... here's the original. scottjua says he paid for it... I got it off the screen-accurate holster thread...but it shows the full length piston greebly and t-track, if he wants to explain why he didn't point it out to us earlier, all the better...

ADMIN EDIT: Photo removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  13. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You got it from there because someone took it from me and removed my water mark .And yes I paid to get that image .I took it down because of this reason

14. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just to be clear: the photo of the case by the truck is real; the two photos on the right of the case are of your replica, correct?

I've never seen the truck photo before.

15. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Only the two images with Ford in them are real I photoshopped all the others. The truck image is a real image from "around" 1976 but I added the case. Note it says "The Star Wars" Laser Gun. As the production was originally called.

16. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the clarification :)

Labeling it like you did made it seem authentic.

chubsANDdoggers and kpax like this.
  17. halliwax

Here I am thinking these were real lol

cjchiu, kpax and chubsANDdoggers like this.
  18. chubsANDdoggers

I think halliwax ment this pic..
    67C85F16-3F9C-4531-BD2A-954CB43BEF54.jpeg

H0llyw00d likes this.
  19. kpax

kpax Sr Member

The front sight build logic I came to is as the images below show.

The 2 antenna (pushrods) were glued to the barrel side by side with what appears too be a "spacer" the same width as the T track blade... at least that is what seems to match the photos and my build.

My theory is that the parts were glued on with trimmed rods as shown in the above LEFT pic. The same length as seen in Scott's image.

I believe Scotts pic shows Ford is smiling after test firing it for the first time. This image shows only the RIGHT antenna and some "material" beside to the left. That is all that can really be seen.

Note the "tilted" FH ! It is loose and is always seen tilted down at the rear. I feel that after the first firing, the ejected case and or the FH being forced back and down slightly knocked the LEFT antenna off completely and likely the center T blade at that time.

What is left behind is the Right antenna an "glue residue" . The Glue residue retains the shape or impression of the underside of the antenna head and edges of the T blade sort of like a mold.

When I tested this theory, I used clay (as the glue) on the barrel and pressed the antenna into the clay. The resulting pattern matched the patterns seen in the images available.

The resulting model I made matches the final resting post production blaster exactly.

blaster antenna proof.jpg
    blaster front sight photo proof  - case closed copy.jpg

20. chubsANDdoggers

Awesome work

kpax likes this.
  21. kpax

kpax Sr Member

blaster front sight photo proof  - case closed 2copy.jpg

thegnome and Dann like this.
  22. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm glad we're getting more discussion about the prop, but funny how the stolen image with no credit gets no mention. I gripe about it because I went through the trouble to buy it... share it, and immediately it was taken and re-shared with the express effort of someone removing my watermark... like many of my images. Oh well... What can I do. The attitude with which is was just shared above solidifies why I won't share stuff anymore.

dcarty, Dann, NickCline and 1 other person like this.
  23. NickCline

NickCline Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Unbelievable... Crazy how little respect or consideration is shown to people who are generous enough to share things like this. I’m sorry, man. I wouldn’t share your private reference photos going forward either. Crazy how a few can ruin it for everybody.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  24. halliwax

This has gone to a whole new level.... sad

NickCline likes this.
  25. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Quite a collection of front sites.!

I went through many of the same variations as you. Always thought they would try to make a front sight similar to a real front side like the Millit you used. Certainly could’ve been taller for all we know originally.

The only reason I suspect it wasn’t is the MerrSonn version which does not seem to show any blade, at least not higher than the antenna head.

Dann likes this.
  26. chubsANDdoggers

Very nice! This is pretty much as good as it gets. So what are ur thoughts Kpax on the Mauser itself. Do you believe the top is blued and bottom is painted black?

27. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

We all like reference. We all want MORE reference. However, if certain reference can be attributed back to someone and they don't want that reference posted, respect their wishes.

28. kpax

kpax Sr Member

You have shared so much information and experience over the years and I am sure we all appreciate it very much!.

I am sure that any misuse of images here is purely accidental or due to overexcitement!.

Removing of personal watermarks is obviously not acceptable protocol. I think we need a protocol droid here to police posting behaviors.

Dann likes this.
  29. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Hard to say it is.... ; )

They may have given the entire blaster a bit of dusting but the actual Mauser and "metal" parts all seem to have natural hue and "wear" spots that would be covered if the entire blaster was spray painted.

Also note the "damage" or "wear spots" on the left side rail top. I feel the original build of the blaster may have had not only a mystery knob glued on but maybe a MerrSonn style coil guled on the rail.?

It may have also "started as" a Left side scope set up as from Sitting Target.

After they realised the blaster would not sit in the "cowboy" holster rig they wanted to use they modified it as we now know it.

han solo blaster up comparecolor copy.jpg merrsonnherodamagecopy.jpg

Dann likes this.
  30. chubsANDdoggers

That’s really sad Scott. You’ve been a big influence not only on myself but I’m sure for many others as well. You should repost the image with your watermark so people have it and moving forward you can get the credit needed. Otherwise unfortunately it’s impossible to police. This is just a quick search on “Pinterest” using “Han Solo black and white”..

FD603999-C6A7-4B71-9AC9-B10702E8A0C2.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    H0llyw00d likes this.
  31. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, but they aren’t as clear as Scott’s purchased image. Many of us have much clearer reference than a simple search will ever return. Some we can’t share, which is sad because there are details that people just get plain wrong all the time and it would be great to be able to help out. Then there are photos we could share, but probably won’t because of stuff like this. The only way to enforce your rights over a photo you purchased is unfortunately, not to share it.

32. Dann

Well, I done gone and did the ol' magnet trick. I'm certainly NOT the first to think of it!

They're fairly strong, but I wouldn't trust them if I were walking around with the blaster in the holster.

You'll see that I'm working on the post production "what's left of it" sight. Haven't added magnets to it, yet. I've kinda taken some artistic license with it, as I reckon I have with ALL of these sights.

I'll have to try one that's JUST the head of the push rod and the glue residue, it looks like it'd be fun to make after looking at your pics, Kpax!

So, for my "pre test firing" sight, I need to shorten the rods a little?? 1230181538.jpg 1230181538a.jpg 1230181539.jpg 1230181539a.jpg 1230181540.jpg 1230181540a.jpg 1230181543.jpg 1230181542.jpg 1230181544.jpg 1230181543a.jpg 1230181543b.jpg

H0llyw00d, chubsANDdoggers and kpax like this.
  33. halliwax

Wow... am I missing something? T track isn’t used for the piston sight?!

34. chubsANDdoggers

This is upsetting. That we are now scared off of sharing info is truly a sad day for this hobby. Understandable to a certain degree but also very, very sad to hear

H0llyw00d likes this.
  35. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It isn’t anything new. It’s been like this since I can remember. Secret reference, and even secret forums.

I do hear what you are saying. There are a couple photos I’ve been trying to get access to for over 10 years...

halliwax likes this.
  36. chubsANDdoggers

Sounds like a Dan Brown novel! ;)

One day hopefully Lucasfilm will open the vaults to what they have. Bought the new Star Wars Archives book for this reason alone, hoping for just one pic of this blaster. We got it but still kind of lame. Lucasfilm seems to always have the last laugh. Apparently there is someone who lives in the UK believed to own this original hero prop so maybe he’ll finally open his safe and let everyone in. Not holding my breath for either though.

37. chubsANDdoggers

Yes I see the same as what you are mentioning here. At least it certainly looks to be so. The natural wear and tear is what makes the eyebrow raise.

Ya it must have been damaged when Ford (or anyone really) dropped it. This I know is a preproduction photo but I don’t see that same damage done just yet here..
    DC032067-49D4-489A-AF95-FD728E7CCFD4.jpeg

Sitting Target used a different mauser entirely (as I know u know) but the scope and mount did come from this film. Do u think they started punching holes into the HERO on the left side, is that what you mean?? But if so wouldn’t they have completed this set up. Meaning wouldn’t there would be a hole in back for the rail as well? I don’t think that was the case for this reason as you can’t see any holes punched on the back?
    74E1398C-3BDF-47B6-81E8-D991C5E6A98F.jpeg

38. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Yep. I did mine with magnets way back when. Used flat stock permanent magnets very strong. But I actually made a mold of the set up and cast of the magnet inside of Black polyurethane. I have one full length version as "originally built" and one post production broke off as you see in the images.

39. kpax

kpax Sr Member

I believe this is the case.
    The naked runner upper receiver was used for the DL 44 and the sitting target scope mount and scope were used.

They may have attempted the same single point mount as the sitting target receiver since mystery disk is in the exact same position as the scope mount in that film. The mystery disk could be a braised or soldered area that the dovetail was attached to When they discovered that they could not holster the gun cowboy style with the scope mounted on the left they may have removed it and left it the mystery disk “scar“ just because it looked interesting.

40. chubsANDdoggers

Do we know how the scope was attached on “naked runnner”. Any good pics outside of this? AC080770-4984-4A44-9715-EF137D90468E.jpeg

41. kpax

kpax Sr Member

42. kpax

kpax Sr Member

mount from ST
    rpf dl44 mount build Q copy.jpg

thegnome and Dann like this.
  43. kpax

kpax Sr Member

44. chubsANDdoggers

Ya you shared this with me a while back. That’s actually my pic in the top right of ur collage. I used this back then in detail when redesigning my mount :)

45. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Which pic in the top right? The Sitting target scope mount overlays.? If I recall correctly, I think these are the overlays I made way back to prove out
    Deadbolt's 3d modeling of the scope and mount. As it turns out the parts were very very close.

46. chubsANDdoggers

Top left! My bad. I get those mixed up every now and then!
    CB8348B7-B5D0-4A11-8BEF-ED8EB1953928.jpeg

47. chubsANDdoggers

I was asking a question using this image and u answered by inserting it into that collage. It was very helpful. Thank you again F7EAAD1A-7113-4B5A-B399-D12B06C4AA2E.jpeg

48. kpax

kpax Sr Member

Must be fun to drive with you... ; )

Nice blaster!

Dann likes this.
  49. chubsANDdoggers

My wife would not agree.

And thanks!

Dann likes this.
  50. Dann

Dangit, I forgot to grind that flat on the back bottom/underside of the cradle! I've done it on other cradles in the past, so I swear I totally already know it's there, I mean it's fairly obvious. Hehe

But then there's a lot of details I'm kinda just not adding. This personal version of this blaster (MGC) has been a work in progress for like 6 or 7 years. Before that I had a Denix that I sold off, to someone right here on this forum. It had a MR old version bull barrel, and I really can't even remember what else, I'm pretty sure it had a Gavidoc flash hider, which was actually really nice. But I don't recall what scope/mount were on that one. Maybe MR.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I may EVENTUALLY take this one as far as you have, kpax, but that might be a few years, yet.

I don't abandon this one for very long before tweaking something else!

kpax likes this.