An Experiment: List your All-Time 3 Favorite Songs.

I cannot do it.

The problem for me is that it is all relative to my current listening. I go through phases were I am discovering something new or rediscovering things I haven't really listened to in a long time. So if I gave you my 3 favorite songs, it would only be for the current time. As in I really love "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon. I haven't thought about it in years. But the other day, it came on the radio and it made me download it again because I really wanted to hear it now. So for the past couple days, I have listened to that song more than in the past 6 years. But if you asked me before that, I may list a Cat Stevens song, or a song by the Outfield, or Midtown, or Englebert Humperdink.

Abacab - Genesis
Songs from the Wood - Jethro Tull
You've Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

Hey Jude - The Beatles
Stand By Me - Ben E. King
That's Life - Frank Sinatra

Very difficult question as I could have chosen 100 songs easily, by a much more varied selection of artists, but that's what came to mind immediately.

So many songs but here's three that I knew would always maintain a personal top spot from the moment I first heard them in my distant youth and I wasn't wrong:

Spacemen 3 - Walking with *****

A beautifully simple and honest tune from two fellas who'd just about fried their brains. Things are pretty insane at times and we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. That's what I take from it anyway.

Aphex Twin - xtal

Back when Aphex was making music to impress himself rather than other people. It sounds simple on the surface but has a hallucinatory quality to the melodies that I find magical and timeless, and reminds me of sunny days with friends, festivals, yew forests and some good old fashioned acid.

Brian Eno - An Ending

Shame it's so overused in TV/film but it doesn't stop my absolute love for it. Chances are I'm never going to get to see the grandeur of space one to one but this piece moves me in a direction where I can imagine it and also makes me think how effortlessly beautiful the universe and existence is. Man.

Last edited:
The reason I have a different criteria for the "desert island song list" is I need something that would entertain me, yet I would not grow tired of the repetition, thus I pick a couple of my favorite epic songs that have a lot of variety in them.

To be fair though, if you were on a desert island you'd only have about a week worth of charge on that puppy unless you have a solar powered charger! :lol

So why should I pigeon-hole EVERYTHING I like into only three choices? Yes, that is hard. But if I factor in what stuff on CD I am most likely to play at a given time (in otherwords limiting the choices to what I have as opposed to what I have to hunt for on the radio or elsewhere) I can make a reasonably good determination.

But, for the purpose of this list, I'll go with:

Rocket Ride by KISS
Twilight by the Electric Light Orchestra
The shuttle Launch orchestral suite by Trevor Rabin off the Armageddon score (great blending of orchestral instruments with a more rock electric guitar feel and some keyboard work)

Of course that list may change in a few weeks as I find other works that seem to fit with these (Rush for instance tended to like layering stuff on itself in music it did during the late 1970s and early 1980s). But this list covers my three favorite music loves as well... heavy metal with KISS (I also love Judas Priest), more progressive instrumental rock, keyboard and orchestral elements with ELO, and movie orchestral soundtracks (since I have the classic staples of that with Goldsmith, Williams and Horner in my collection).

Brett Dennen - Ain't No Reason
Weezer - Say It Ain't So
Fall Out Boy - Saturday

Each song reminds me of a milestone in my life which is why they are my favorites.

It's not hard for me to do; it's absolutely impossible. I can come up with a list fairly quickly, but it would be so heavily dependant on where I was mentally and emotionally right at that moment that it wouldn't have a shelf life of more than a couple of days.

As a CRAZED music fan, I can't say I would narrow it down to three, I'd still have to take at least 20 songs. However, I have noticed that there are three songs I can listen to no matter what mood I'm in, does that count?

Crystallize- Lindsey Sterling (Violins man, love 'em)
May it Be -- Lord of the Rings
This is War -- 30 Seconds to Mars

Not very difficult for me:

1) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (<-- best song forever!!!)
2) The Beatles - Hey Jude
3) Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)

Hmmm...giving it a try:

Def Leppard - Hysteria
Garth Brooks - The Dance

I can only come up with two (Depeche Mode was a fav, but no one song). First one used to mellow me out, cruising the back roads late at night. Second one I've requested play at my funeral. Despite lay-offs, divorces (yes, plural), and all life has thrown my way, I've enjoyed the ride and wouldn't change a thing. :)

ATM
ShackMan

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back