How bad is your day going to suck when you hear your favorite celebrity dies?

Bill Paxton was a tough one for me.
But as time goes on and we all age, those you've watched and admired (regardless of celebrity status) will eventually pass on.
It's a sad fact of life.
We can only hope they live long lives and expire when it's their time vs. taken too soon.

Still sucks, but nothing lasts forver :(

Bill Paxton was a tough one for me.
But as time goes on and we all age, those you've watched and admired (regardless of celebrity status) will eventually pass on.
It's a sad fact of life.
We can only hope they live long lives and expire when it's their time vs. taken too soon.

Still sucks, but nothing lasts forver :(
Death lasts forever;)

Honestly...it won't.

First, I don't really have a single favorite celeb. There are plenty that I like, but theyaren't part of my life in that way. I have no specific relationship with them other than enjoying the stuff they've made and maybe whatever their public person a is. When I've met folks at cons, it's never felt especially personal, and I've never spent time with anyone that famous for longer than the few minutes you might get to chat 'em up in line at some event. As a result, I don't feel especially closely connected with any of them to the point that their death will have a major impact on me beyond just feeling a twinge of sadness, and possibly contemplating my own mortality and that of those around me who are really in my life.

I dunno. I lost my dad about a year ago. I miss him, more at certain times than others, but even there I tend to focus on how lucky I was to have had the kind of relationship we had individually, as well as the relationship he had with my wife and daughter. That was a real loss, to me. The celebrities, the people I see on TV and in the movies and such, they won't be real losses like that. Hell, by comparison, they won't even make it on the radar screen.

I think people forget that celebrities have no relationship with their audience, in the real sense.

It’s a very one-sided arrangement…

When you pass on, the celebrities that you may hero worship will not even know that you existed or passed on; it won’t even register for them.

Yet, there are those that are preparing themselves to mourn the loss of celebrities that they have no relationship with.

But, I also don’t confuse the actor with the characters they play…I think some of that is injected into the emotional loss that some may feel.

Last edited:
I don't know how I would cope if we lost Kenny from 'South Park'.
200.gif

I love music. My thing is when a musician dies, then I wonder what other songs he/she would/could have created. John Lennon, Marvin Gaye. Olivia Newton John, Micheal Jackson, Prince. Miles Davis, Karen Carpenter and George Harrison come to mind.

I love music. My thing is when a musician dies, then I wonder what other songs he/she would/could have created. John Lennon, Marvin Gaye. Olivia Newton John, Micheal Jackson, Prince. Miles Davis, Karen Carpenter and George Harrison come to mind.

I feel that way when good musicians die young.

When it's a 60-80yo musician they are usually way out of their peak era so it's less of a sting.

Of course there are exceptions like John Williams. Even his geriatric stuff is better than most.

Yeah, I agree on the music thing.

I told my wife a couple days ago that I'll probably cry like a baby when Ozzy's life finally catches up with him.

When R Lee Ermey passed, I was bummed. I'd been on a show with him Years ago. Such a nice and funny man.
I was bummed too. I got meet him once and got his autograph at a motorcycle show and that was the one and only time that I was ever star struck. A lot of that had to do with the fact that I was in the Marines and I don't think that there's a Marine alive who didn't love the Gunny. But bummed was about as low as I got, I didn't go into a funk, wasn't even remotely saddened or depressed, just a little bummed that such an icon of the Corps had passed.

Honestly...it won't.

First, I don't really have a single favorite celeb. There are plenty that I like, but they aren't part of my life in that way. I have no specific relationship with them other than enjoying the stuff they've made and maybe whatever their public person a is. When I've met folks at cons, it's never felt especially personal, and I've never spent time with anyone that famous for longer than the few minutes you might get to chat 'em up in line at some event. As a result, I don't feel especially closely connected with any of them to the point that their death will have a major impact on me beyond just feeling a twinge of sadness, and possibly contemplating my own mortality and that of those around me who are really in my life.
Same here, the passing of a celebrity, any celebrity doesn't particularly phase me. If it's someone whose work that I particularly enjoyed, I might be somewhat bummed, but it's hardly something that I ever dwell on. I'll miss not being able to see them in future roles or release new songs, but that's about the extent of it. I'd say that's too bad or that's kind of sad to my wife and/or friends and then I move on. And considering that I'm not really into chasing autographs or doing photo ops, I wouldn't even really be saddened by the fact that I won't be able to meet them in person to get their autograph and/or have my picture taken with them.

Piper Laurie died several times. I remember my dad telling me about how she had been announced dead a few times.

Burt ward died a couple of times at least. I wonder if he still jokes about it.

Julie strain died twice, exactly one year to the day apart.

Alec Guinness also died at least twice.

I guess that's just life. Kind of.

Already had it happen with several. Christopher Reeve, Betty White, Harold Ramis, Carrie Fisher... John Candy and on and on :(
Carrie was certainly a tug of the heart strings..
We had watched her on Graham Norton that week so she was both fresh and funny in our minds, then the news about her being rushed to hospital
It was Christmas we came out of watching Rogue One and the sad news blipped up when we turned on our mobile devices.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back