Indiana Jones inaccuracies. Add to the list.

compucrap

Wanted to start a discussion of the MANY inaccuracies I've observed in the Indiana Jones franchise after catching a few while learning about archeology.

1) In Raiders we see that the staff of Ra headpiece features a faceted stone. Problem is faceting of stones like the gem in the headpiece wasn't developed until much later, closer to 1000 AD. Prior to faceting the majority of gems were cabochons; rounded stones that would then have simple images ground into them (intaglio) which were used as seals/stamps (since most people couldn't read or write but everyone could recognize a symbol or mark.)

2) In Last Crusade we see that the holy grail has a stem type base. This is highly unlikely as the majority of cups in the 1st century were still influenced by Greek designs; they'd look more like small hand sized bowls that cups.

Boy, I sure hope someone got fired over these mistakes.

What other obvious mistakes have you noticed in Indiana Jones?

You do realize that the Indiana Jones franchise is a fantasy series, not a documentary about archeology, right?

As someone who aspired to be an archeologist early in life (in part because of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark at a very tender age), I don't watch the movies looking for any sort of accuracy. That way lies madness.

Could there ALSO be accuracy as well as fun? Sure. But these movies aren't that and never have been. They're a love story to old Saturday Morning serials.

The Grail stems from Arthurian legend. There's no Biblical basis for it. It was just a cup. Just like the Spear of Destiny. No Biblical basis. ******'s side was pierced, but it didn't present any mystical powers. It was just a spear. Legends sprung up around it long after.

The Grail stems from Arthurian legend. There's no Biblical basis for it. It was just a cup. Just like the Spear of Destiny. No Biblical basis. ******'s side was pierced, but it didn't present any mystical powers. It was just a spear. Legends sprung up around it long after.
Exactly. But you never know if someone stuck a stem base on it later on in history, which would lead to yet another Indy sequel:

InyPromo1.jpg

The Germans freely digging a massive excavation in Egypt in 1936. Egypt was a firmly controlled and strategically important colony of he British Empire, and that would never have been allowed.

And even if the British Government had miraculously allowed it, the dig would have had British observers -- both to prevent looting and make absolutely sure anything rare and historically valuable would be properly accounted for. Then it would probably be placed in the British Museum, probably next to the Elgin Marbles.

The Germans freely digging a massive excavation in Egypt in 1936. Egypt was a firmly controlled and strategically important colony of he British Empire, and that would never have been allowed.

And even if the British Government had miraculously allowed it, the dig would have had British observers -- both to prevent looting and make absolutely sure anything rare and historically valuable would be properly accounted for. Then it would probably be placed in the British Museum, probably next to the Elgin Marbles.

I've always assumed hiring Belloq as the lead archeologist was what allowed the initial dig to be authorized. It would have been very small in scope and expanded massively without authorization. Then they just threaten or bribe anyone who gives them trouble about it. They know the Brits aren't going to start a war over a archeological dig that was started with their permission.

Reading all of this makes me wonder just how accurate the German uniforms were in Raiders and Last Crusade. I have a suspicion that they're accurate but anachronistic. For instance, the tunic pockets might have straight flaps instead of scalloped and no pleats which would indicate a late war modification of the uniform in order to simplify production. And the helmets are another thing to look at as well, the first 2 iterations of the Stahlhelm from the 30s to the beginning or middle of the war had rolled rims but they stopped that by late war to, once again save time. So I wonder if these details are noticeable in the 2 movies and if they're present.

You do realize that the Indiana Jones franchise is a fantasy series, not a documentary about archeology, right?

As someone who aspired to be an archeologist early in life (in part because of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark at a very tender age), I don't watch the movies looking for any sort of accuracy. That way lies madness.

Could there ALSO be accuracy as well as fun? Sure. But these movies aren't that and never have been. They're a love story to old Saturday Morning serials.

Sure, but its fun to nitpick.

At the end of Raiders Indy is wielding a Russian RPG not a German Panzerfaust or Panzerschreck which would have been more accurate.

That is sloppy considering he most likely stole it from the submarine base. Speaking of which, why would a submarine base even have anti-tank rockets?

Last Crusade, set in 1938, features the VW Kubelwagen which didn't enter production until 1940.

Neat. Didn't notice that one.

True, but if you go by that logic then the holy grail film itself is impossible since you need the cup to have captured Christs blood in order for it to have its miraculous hearing powers. Last Crusade was really a father/son reunion story and JC was kind of a third-wheel that made it all possible.

Thats a good point. I kind of assumed that since they were Nazi's we were seeing Nazi occupied Egypt/North Africa but since the movie is pre-WW2 that isn't possible.

The accuracy we are interested in is regarding the prop replicas vs. screen used props. :p:p

Thats what inspired me to post this in the first place. Its fun seeing people go to such extreme lengths ti accurately reproduce props, meanwhile the props and stories themselves are riddled with flaws. Seemed like something fun to point out, maybe just embracing my inner comic-book-store guy.

Boy, I sure hope someone got fired over these mistakes.
No they didn't. More than likely they got a raise. I can see it now...

"But Mr. Spielberg, that's not historically accurate."
"Who cares. What YOU came up with is dull and boring. Jazz it up, man!"
"Yes sir. I'm on it!"

You are acting as if this should have been a documentary. It's an action, fun filled romp. Who CARES if the cup had stems or not?!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back