Indiana Jones inaccuracies. Add to the list.

The fact remains that ancient myths, especially in the Americas, include events that read like alien encounters. Why are aliens so cringe-worthy when magic wooden boxes and living 900yo knights and heart-ripping bad guys are perfectly acceptable?

I feel like the big pushback against the 4th movie's aliens was like the nuked fridge. In reality the franchise is full of other stuff that far out. We just liked those older movies better so that made it okay. IMO if Indy had found an alien artifact in 'Temple of Doom' in 1984 then the internet wouldn't be full of complaints about aliens not belonging in the franchise.

In my opinion I still don't consider such accounts as extra-terrestrial; star people are still people and Roman/Greek accounts of the pagan god would fit such a loose description while still being considered humanoid. Personally I don't buy into little grey/green space-men ever visiting Earth so Crystal Skull was always a letdown for me. Thats a matter of preference and personal believe (I don't believe in extra-terrestrial visitors coming to our planet and tend to cringe when people suggest thats the "only way the primitive ancients could have built __________." Again, thats MY personal opinion so I won't force it on anyone else but obviously such suggestions give me history channel crazy-haired professor saying "aliens" to anything he can't understand.

Truth is all of humanities impressive structures were indeed built by humans. Lost of them, for instance the walls of the Parthenon, still show signs of how ancient people (who were really darn clever) moved and assembled massive blocks that conspiracy-nuts claim "only could have been done with futuristic machinery even we don't currently possess."

Of course the Egyptian mythos were alien! The pyramids were landing pads from starships!

I enjoy Stargate specifically because it feels like satire directed at all those "but the pyramids couldn't have been built by humans" of the late 1980's-1990's. The whole concept is silly, a pyramid is the worst thing you could land on. A giant flat surface is always a better surface for super-heavy things. Stargate embraced its silliness, as did SG-1.

Getting back on topic, are the uniforms worn by the Germans in Egypt anachronistic? They look to be Afrika Korps uniforms but the Afrika Korps wasn't formed until 1941, several years before Raiders takes place. So, wouldn't those troops be wearing a standard Heer style uniform in feldgrau since Germany had not gotten involved in North Africa yet in 1938 and thus had no need for a desert uniform?

Good eye. The whole desert scenes feel like they were meant to take place AFTER the invasion of North Africa, kind of forgetting the film predates the start of the war. As mentioned in another post, Britain still controlled NA at that point and wouldn't have taken kindly to an unauthorized German dig.

The Life Magazine in Raiders, dated November 30, is too late in the year to make sense with the timeline, since the previous scene likely takes place in August/September.

Now thats some nitpicking right there! Wasn't Indy's university in Chicago? Clothing and scenery doesn't match up with November weather in that part of the country.

In my opinion...

Truth is...

Blah blah blah
The Stargate reference was meant as a joke. It did answer a lot of tropes in sci Fi however. Nearly every planet has breathable atmosphere, 1 g gravity, identical solar periods, identical rotational directions, identical poles etc etc etc.

In SG-1 this was the result of selection and terraforming. It would be tedious to have every story about dealing with the weather.

About the size and condition of the building materials in ancient monuments: some things have yet to be explained like the melted and shaped stones of Machu Pichu for example.

The problem i have with "rational" explanations we are force-fed is that, the narrative is always from severely limited, cowardly minds.

If the Earth were actually to be found to be flat their heads would explode. . The issue is really not that important to war over but hanging on to their world view is all they have.

The answer to the question is: so what?

Flat earth, Ghosts, blah blah blah. So what? Whatever is true is true.

Finding the truth is the impetus for science.

In my opinion I still don't consider such accounts as extra-terrestrial; star people are still people and Roman/Greek accounts of the pagan god would fit such a loose description while still being considered humanoid. Personally I don't buy into little grey/green space-men ever visiting Earth so Crystal Skull was always a letdown for me. Thats a matter of preference and personal believe (I don't believe in extra-terrestrial visitors coming to our planet and tend to cringe when people suggest thats the "only way the primitive ancients could have built __________." Again, thats MY personal opinion so I won't force it on anyone else but obviously such suggestions give me history channel crazy-haired professor saying "aliens" to anything he can't understand.

Truth is all of humanities impressive structures were indeed built by humans. Lost of them, for instance the walls of the Parthenon, still show signs of how ancient people (who were really darn clever) moved and assembled massive blocks that conspiracy-nuts claim "only could have been done with futuristic machinery even we don't currently possess."

I don't believe that aliens built the ancient pyramids around the world, either.

But that's beside the point IMO.

I don't believe that the Isarelites' Ark of the Covenant would release an angry female ghost and melt Nazis' faces off. I don't believe that Kali cult leaders can rip a guy's beating heart out of his chest and hold it in front of him. I'm pretty sure Christianity never speaks of a 900yo knight living inside the Petra temple. Is any of this stuff less crazy than aliens in the Amazon?

It's Indy movies. You roll with it.

I'll just post this here:

Indiana-Jones-Big-Bang-Theory.jpg

The Germans freely digging a massive excavation in Egypt in 1936. Egypt was a firmly controlled and strategically important colony of he British Empire, and that would never have been allowed.

And even if the British Government had miraculously allowed it, the dig would have had British observers -- both to prevent looting and make absolutely sure anything rare and historically valuable would be properly accounted for. Then it would probably be placed in the British Museum, probably next to the Elgin Marbles.
Or like the gate/corridor guardian statues that now guard the .....British museum cafeteria... and other highly religious and historically important corridors in the...... British museum.

Or, the fact Indy retrieved the idol ensured Beloq lived to then go on to work with the nazis. Had Indy not safely gotten the idol, beloq might have died getting it, thus meaning he couldn’t work at Tanis, etc, etc. Straw clutching at its finest.
Except, that it is clearly stated that this is Belloq's MO. Belloq seems to be smart enough to leave the boobie traps to experts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back