How bad is your day going to suck when you hear your favorite celebrity dies?

Personally, the passing of any celebrity has no effect on me whatsoever. If it's somebody whose work that I Iiked I might find it a bit sad but I'm no happier or sadder at hearing their passing than I was before I found out that they had died. I think that, for me, it's because I've never been someone who's really never been into hero worshipping while growing up, and as an adult I don't care about getting autographs very much, and I'm not into photo ops either. I might respect someone for what they've done, particularly if they've done something particularly noteworthy outside of acting, singing, etc. but I can't say that I idolize them. The closest I come to that is greatly admiring Chesty Puller and would have loved to have met him, but that's in large part due to me being a Marine, few Marines don't admire Chesty who's a legend in the Corps.
That's really only true if they died in the midst of an active career. Most of these people retired decades ago. They're old and that's what old people do. They die. Everything they ever did is still out there. They weren't making anything new anyhow. What difference does it make, if you had no personal connection ot them?

Personally, the passing of any celebrity has no effect on me whatsoever. If it's somebody whose work that I Iiked I might find it a bit sad but I'm no happier or sadder at hearing their passing than I was before I found out that they had died. I think that, for me, it's because I've never been someone who's really never been into hero worshipping while growing up, and as an adult I don't care about getting autographs very much, and I'm not into photo ops either. I might respect someone for what they've done, particularly if they've done something particularly noteworthy outside of acting, singing, etc. but I can't say that I idolize them. The closest I come to that is greatly admiring Chesty Puller and would have loved to have met him, but that's in large part due to me being a Marine, few Marines don't admire Chesty who's a legend in the Corps.

100% aligned to your thinking.

I almost had that happen with Kev Smith!

I’m a 90’s guy, and like Slacker for him, Clerks was my “oh ****! This counts as a movie!? I can do this!” And ended up in the career I have now… while I may not like most of his movies, I still enjoy listening to him on his many pods… prob the human I’ve heard talk the most.

So yeah, when he almost died of a heart attack, I was like “holy! That was close!” And was shook by how much I cared.

All that said, this weekend should be interesting… I may have to post pics come Monday to explain!

For me it depends on age and circumstances

Some people who OD you can see it coming a mile away and it is no big shock

the most tragic for me are the ones who die in the prime of their career, either through accident or sudden onset disease that was kept under wraps etc..

Zappa and Freddie Mercury were big ones for me as they both died within days of an announcement they were even sick and I was heavily into both of their music, and both taken by different, but equally horrible diseases

when I was younger it was Cliff Burton of Metallica and Randy Rhoades

Can't help but listening to Randy's amazing playing on those first two Ozzy albums and imagine how far he could have gone if he had not died in that accident

I get teary eyed sometimes just listening to his solo on Tonight, or his acoustic piece Dee

On the other hand I am not going to be affected by a 90 year rocker dying of old age other than maybe oh yeah, I forgot that guy was still alive

For me it depends on age and circumstances

Some people who OD you can see it coming a mile away and it is no big shock

the most tragic for me are the ones who die in the prime of their career, either through accident or sudden onset disease that was kept under wraps etc..

Zappa and Freddie Mercury were big ones for me as they both died within days of an announcement they were even sick and I was heavily into both of their music, and both taken by different, but equally horrible diseases

when I was younger it was Cliff Burton of Metallica and Randy Rhoades

Can't help but listening to Randy's amazing playing on those first two Ozzy albums and imagine how far he could have gone if he had not died in that accident

I get teary eyed sometimes just listening to his solo on Tonight, or his acoustic piece Dee

On the other hand I am not going to be affected by a 90 year rocker dying of old age other than maybe oh yeah, I forgot that guy was still alive
Agreed; someone struck down in their prime is going to hit a lot harder than someone who's "wound down" and is "nearing the finish line". as so to speak. It's really hard when it's someone who had an influence on you or you were really a big fan of.

For some reason, Jim Henson's passing hit me pretty hard.
I have no explanation for it, but it did. Maybe because his work was a good part of my childhood.

For some reason, Jim Henson's passing hit me pretty hard.
I have no explanation for it, but it did. Maybe because his work was a good part of my childhood.
I was technically to young, almost 10, to really know him at the time and his work, but now, yeah, it is sad that he just didn't want to bother anyone and avoided going to the hospital....or they could have most likely saved him.
I just watched TMNT2 last night, the movie that has the memory for him,

That's really only true if they died in the midst of an active career. Most of these people retired decades ago. They're old and that's what old people do. They die. Everything they ever did is still out there. They weren't making anything new anyhow. What difference does it make, if you had no personal connection ot them?
I think that you misread what I said. I said that the death of a celebrity, any celebrity young or old, really doesn't affect me much at all. I might be a little saddened by their passing but I'm no way strongly affected. My reaction is always, so and so passed? That's a bummer and just carry one like it's any other day.

I think that you misread what I said. I said that the death of a celebrity, any celebrity young or old, really doesn't affect me much at all. I might be a little saddened by their passing but I'm no way strongly affected. My reaction is always, so and so passed? That's a bummer and just carry one like it's any other day.
Half the time, I'm like "they were still alive?"

I dread the day of hearing about John Carpenter’s passing. When his name pops up on Twitter/X’s trending list, I have a brief moment of panic and fear that he’s Trending due to his passing (recently, I haven’t had that reaction because I know he’s got a TV series he‘s directed about to be released). But I dread that eventual and inevitable moment.

Also it is not that I have any connection on a personal level so I am not going to grieve as if I lost a friend.
It is more that I am saddened by the loss of talent, and the impact it had on me, especially for the more gifted

i.e. some guy that had two seconds of screen time in a movie is not going to make me feel a loss, while someone like a Robin Williams who I have watched over the years and enjoyed their work will

To be honest, nowadays it is difficult to spare a disproportionate allotment of remorse on celebrities who aren't affected by what has been going on - rampant inflation, looting and shoplifting out of control in the big cities, Target, Whole Foods, etc shutting down in major cities (I'm near San Francisco), homeless basically taking over neighborhoods, and now I have to worry about how many hostiles might have come over our open borders and waiting in sleeper cells for this war to start.

Now that I think about it, while he's not my favorite celebrity, I would feel exceptional remorse if anything bad were to happen to Dr. Jordan Peterson. I know not everyone would agree.

^^
Indeed! As for me, my existence doesn't really change or is impacted by the death of an actor/celebrities or others. Life goes on...besides; my role models were my parents (gone a year ago, already)...that is an important loss for me and always will be:(

I align with the posts of Riceball an joberg . I will be a bit saddened by their passing and disappointed that I won't be able to see or hear any of their new performances, but as I get older, it has become more commonplace losing friends, family and admired people, so in a way, you become used to it (even though it still hurts) but you move on and live your own life....and realize that the celebrity's family will be hurting far more than you will. So you have to have some compassion for those hurting more than you.

TazMan2000

It's the same when a complete stranger passes because unless we know them personally that's what they are. Respecting someones body of work of is understandable but beyond that really all we know is the persona that they put forth which we often find out is different than the reality. Buy into their personas if you'd like but someone a long time ago gave a great piece of advice, "never trust anyone whose selling something."

I was not a fan of Heath Ledger until he played the Joker. Not that I was holding candlelight vigils, but when he passed, all I could think was, "dang this person prolly had a few more absolutely unexpectedly august roles to play."

John Entwhistle, but he died like a rockstar.

And getting to your point, we had someone from another center work with us while their site was being rebuilt. A nice, fun, polite lady with grown up kids who one day just disappeared. We found out she was diagnosed with liver cancer and in two weeks she was dead. To this day, over a year later, everyone still feel ambushed by her death.

I don't remember the year, but it was the late 80's, Peter Jennings was doing the ABC evening news & he announced that Lawrence Olivier had died. I was aware of him from The Tonight Show with Carson, but hadn't seen any of his work.

I suddenly had almost a flashforward moment, & realized that some day, I'd hear that Harrison Ford had died, & felt that when the day came, my life would be different. I can't explain it, but it almost felt like a date with destiny.

I don't believe in destiny, but every single time I hear about a celebrity's death, I get that same strange feeling that it wasn't Harrison Ford... This time, but when it is, I'm curious as to how it'll affect me.

I don't remember the year, but it was the late 80's, Peter Jennings was doing the ABC evening news & he announced that Lawrence Olivier had died. I was aware of him from The Tonight Show with Carson, but hadn't seen any of his work.

I suddenly had almost a flashforward moment, & realized that some day, I'd hear that Harrison Ford had died, & felt that when the day came, my life would be different. I can't explain it, but it almost felt like a date with destiny.

I don't believe in destiny, but every single time I hear about a celebrity's death, I get that same strange feeling that it wasn't Harrison Ford... This time, but when it is, I'm curious as to how it'll affect me.

That's an odd sort of premonition.

No telling when it's going to happen though. In real life I wouldn't be surprised if Harrison lives into his 90s. That guy has always seemed really healthy for his age.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back