New BMF coming

More Tony Parts...

Many thanks for sharing TronGod!!!

They look good!!! Well, I can't be the judge, but all of you. :D
Many thanks for your support!!!

And Merry Christmas -yes, two days to go...-.

- - - Updated - - -

Those parts look great! Tony must feel like a proud Papa seeing all these parts being used on peoples Falcon's. Anyone doing the Eps. VII dish?

Yes Robert!!! Very proud!!!

I appreciate so much that you liked them. There's a part of me on all these little pieces of plastic... No words... :cry

If anyone is having trouble finding one of these, let me know. I grabbed one at my WalMart in the middle of Amish Country, and there's a stack of 10 of them!!!

Picked up some more pound shop stuff, got some irredescent packaging material to help scatter the engine light, and for the engine mesh I got some mesh! Although on close inspection its maybe too small, but then I noticed the disposable trays they fetch the take aways to us at work, and thought, hello!

IMG_20141223_194540_771[1].jpg IMG_20141223_194557_018[1].jpg

Fantastic synergy!
I spent the weekend getting familiar with the "raw" model and came to two independent decisions:
1) I am not going to try and replicate one or the other (or a hybrid) of the filming miniatures. I will create my own interpretation of the MF utilizing much of the existing 'Hasbro-yo' details (which are less 'greeblie' and more regular depictions) & re-engineering some features to be more 'realistic'. In short, I plan to alter the 'paradigm' to one based more in science and less in fantasy while still adhering to the broad boundaries established in the films. More anon.
2) I will establish a functional interior, to include a support structure and all inhabited volumes. These will be to scale and consistent within my personal creative paradigm. While the result will undoubtedly differ from specific details shown in the films (no other way, given the 'movie set logical conflicts'), my goal is to again adhere as closely as possible to the original inspiration. I plan on poaching liberally from the logical analyses of other fans in this effort. The main parameter is that the MF is 114 feet long, which establishes the scale of the model. This will drive many of my decisions regarding changes to the base design (such as the exact size of the 'top hatch'...would it accommodate a space-suited "man"? Or where exactly do the 'life pods' exit the hull?)

The reason I bring this up is not to trouble anyone or cause grief since frankly, any one person's modeling efforts are as valid as any one else's. More, as there is no requirement to replicate the exact filming miniature(s) (unless self-imposed), I prefer to pursue a different course under a banner of 'inspiration' instead than 'replication'. I came to this realization when I was showing off my new 'toy' and stating it was "1:48 scale" while immediately realizing such a statement is nonsense as there is no "real" MF, only versions of a studio filming prop. I then decided to make my 'build' as if were not a filming miniature but rather a model of "the real" MF. So it will be subject to the laws of physics & typical engineering precepts as we currently understand things plus the mandatory 'fantasy-technology' that applies to the Star Wars universe. This stipulated f-tech will include such as the easy ability to manipulate gravity & faster-than-light (FTL) travel / communications. Most everything else depicted in the film (well, perhaps not focused-energy weapons in 'tiny' packages) is pretty familiar to us.

By adopting this philosophy, I will both reduce (exterior detailing) and increase (functional interior & structure) the scope of the work. However, I think I will be able to 'travel down' a similar path as those modelers working from the designs that George L. & the design folks came up with - though in my case, the 'vision' is so much more refined! Of course, I think I should establish a separate topic for this effort since it really is so far off the 'beaten path'. Once I actually can begin logging my work, I will link out of here to that thread as a resource and general entertainment.

Regards, Robert

SpaceBob, no, I usually go for heavy research. But that is the beauty of this genre, you get to be creative!

As for changes, I don't know yet what will exactly happen, but it will still be the Falcon, just detailed differently.

As an example of my thought process, if I were the engineer for the turret installations, why would I have the gunners stationed in glass-fronted ports? Better they be in virtual stations that holographically project the turret's field of fire. After all, it isn't like the gunners are able to manually move the turrets around, like in a WWII B-17 bomber. So, in effect, the 'glass' portion of the gun turret can just go away. The best concept for this kind of gunnery station is the 'bubble fighters' from the Lost in Space movie (yeah, I know, the bubble cockpits are, well, "glass"...) But consider the gunners in full motion, full virtual-view armored stations beneath the guns. A 'bubble' shape would be ideal. Plus, if the 'virtual display' sensors went offline, then the station could 'park' in a position that would allow the gunner to stick his head up into an exterior 'view bubble' and direct the guns (much less effectively, but something is better than nothing) using optical gunsights (similar to the remote turret installations in B-29 bombers.) Even this 'configuration' could be substituted with a 'virtual reality' helmet so no movement functionality is needed. Of course, all this would be much less dramatic than what was done in the movie... guess a compromise would be to have the remotely sighted gunner's station consisting of a bubble and rotating seat/console, if we're talking the low-tech end of the spectrum. Probably much more suitable for the MF than a full VR station.

The main problem I have with the MF turrets (besides making the gunner's position patently obvious to an attacker) is the ridiculous field of view through the submerged 'windows'. Also, the view is partially blocked by the guns themselves, so some kind of 'VR' projection would be required anyway. Actually, the best position for gunners would be off to the side, a distance away from the guns since this would reduce the amount of the blind-spot... and so on! ;^P So, guess I am looking at a turret that has the guns centered with sensors arrayed around it to give complete hemispherical coverage, providing a 'virtual' view to the gunner plus a reduced capability 'sighting bubble' as a redundant backup. This would look different externally as the 'windows' would go away and the guns would mount so the pivot would be centered. Not much change but definitely a different look!

More to come... but a different thread?

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
rbeach84,

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking to create an MF that would be functional as if it were a real thing. Everything should have some purpose if it were on a real MF. And the guns are a great example. I see the windows as more eye candy than functional. There is a targeting computer for the gunner and in the movie they watch that screen not out the window. Also, I will be attaching the guns so that they have a full arc of fire. They way they are mounted on some of the models leaves huge blind spots. Especially from the rear. If you are an attacker all you have to do is sit in the rear of the MF and fire away. It actually takes very little change to make it so. You have to build the yoke attachment anyway so a change of a couple of degrees and viola.

I don't plan on having landing gear doors either. I don't think the ESB version had them anyway. The gear retracts [or extends] vertically with the pads ending up flush with the fuselage.

Mythshaker, on point! Granted, the gun mounting on the toy isn't proper in any case since it pushes into a hole in the 'window' vice mounting to the side. It is sturdy, though, I give it that! Gun laying mounts, especially ones designed for full range articulation, must be both strong and lightweight at the same time (excess mass introduces targeting errors, aka 'swing' during rapid deflections.)

RE: gear doors, since the gear supposedly retracts straight up, and all mass-to-escape-delta uses energy, no doors seems the way to go. In a way, the MF is not purely a spacecraft since it is surface to surface functional, not just orbit to orbit (like a Star Destroyer...unlike the Clone Wars ships.) So, some aerodynamic streamlining is useful...

Hardest question is where I'm putting the one-entity escape pods! I sort of see them popping out of the hull, ala Star Trek 'life boats'. That way, the retained portion of the hull plating can act as heat shields for planetary re-entry. Though, that would have left some gaping holes in the MF during the rescue of Leia - oh wait, it has gaping holes! ;^P

It should be fun coming up with something that not only looks but also "acts" the part. (I tend to think of the Falcon as a character in the story in any case...)

Regards, Robert

Tron, they look fantastic. Can you post pics of how they fit? Have you moved the walls back already? If not is possible for before and after walls moved?

DB

I've cut out all my sidewalls and don't have them built up yet. The original parts I got fit perfectly over the sidewalls out of the box...since I am moving mine back I am expecting to have a tiny gap above and below the sidewalls. However, I don't think it will be a problem. I have not tried my recent shipment yet. I will post pics when I got something..but xmas has slowed my falcon-quest down a bit. Plus I am hoping TONY goes nuts and makes a few more parts! :) I'm really on the fence about just going nuts with this thing..if so..I may cut up the model much more than I was originally planning.. :)

P.s. Not even sure which way these parts go :) Going to have to look at some reference :) I was also considering making resin versions of my parts to make them more durable..but looking at how complex they are..not sure I will try it now.

Last edited:
10thou? how thick is that and where could i find it. <-------------------N00b

Think 10 thouu equates to 0.25mm. 15 Thouu would be good too ( 0.38 mm) but my nearest model shop didnt have 15 thou in stock.

You should be able to purchase styrene sheets from your nearest proper model shop, or any of the online model stores, even ebay.

Talk about the prefect Christmas present. Its Christmas Eve and all was still and silent until
A knock on the door
A parcel delivery
A large but incredibly light box
Labelled

SHAPEWAYS :D

5mm extended cockpit cone, floor and seats, 67mm radar dish and a laser and yoke...:p

Off to the bathroom....may be some time.....

Washing off the wax of course.

So jealous!
Got one last night, tore right into it and have the top ready for primer. Man this is gonna be fun.
Broke my wife's heart as I flew it up the stairs with a big smile on my face, and she started crying a bit, and said, "Well, you migh's well open the one under the tree too!"
Whoops . . .

Guess I get to build two!!

Well it looks like my shapeways experience is getting bad. My cockpit cone is lost somewhere between here and Flushing, NY, then the turret wells have gone from in production to processing; something must've gone horribly wrong. :( and on top of all of that, my package from HLJ is stuck at the ISC in new Yotk, also. There goes my Holiday Vacation. :((

Well it looks like my shapeways experience is getting bad. My cockpit cone is lost somewhere between here and Flushing, NY, then the turret wells have gone from in production to processing; something must've gone horribly wrong. :( and on top of all of that, my package from HLJ is stuck at the ISC in new Yotk, also. There goes my Holiday Vacation. :((

Don't worry you're not alone with bad shapeways experiences this holiday season. on my last order they lost 35 pieces and had no idea what happened to them and then on the reprint customer service issued me they lost those same pieces again... took a month to sort it all out.

This guys at SW are driving me crazy... So sorry to hear that, really!!!

I hope they will improve for the next year...

Is that what they call it nowadays? Washing off the wax?

Oh, soooo bad! ;^P

RE: the 'ten thou' sheet plastic, "Evergreen Scale Models" is THE source for polystyrene plastic sheet & shapes (Plastruct is another concern, but a good portion of their product is made of non-'polystyrene' plastic that requires different - as in stronger - solvents.) Evergreen has produced a 'how-to' book that is excellent and should be on the bookshelf of every modeler (certainly every scratchbuilder), in my less than HO. At the very least it is fascinating reading for a modeler - and would make a perfect Christmas, birthday, etc. gift. As noted, Evergreen 'kiosks' are typically found in your full-featured local hobby shops. Though they apparently do not do direct sales, I expect they can help you find a source for mail order if you have no LHS.

So, we're talking about .010 inch thick material, with .005 inch thick being the thinnest most commonly available in sheets. Another adhoc source of some very thin p-styrene material is from 'take-away' coffee cup lids marked with the "6" recycle symbol, but of course relatively small amounts yet super-thin, too. Waste not, want not! I routinely check out the plastic 'packaging' for it's plastic just in case - sometimes you can find the most wonderful shapes and textures in the recycle bucket!

I was examining the Has-MF's sidewalls and they seem to match up to the 'baseline' plane of the included molded detail 'plugs' well enough that I could skin them with some .010" and then apply my detailing to that - without removing the sidewalls. This would be a real time saver. I suspect I can actually use some screws to secure the skinning, at points to be covered by raised detail, or at the very least, I can drill & use plug rods that I can melt the backside into a rivet of sorts. But working with heat can be tricky especially if I don't have any test material.

Anyway - Cheers! Robert

Last edited:
This guys at SW are driving me crazy... So sorry to hear that, really!!!

I hope they will improve for the next year...

It's not SW fault actually, I understand the 3D printers going crazy sometimes and messing up parts, it happens. It's actually mostly USPS's fault that the part and packages are lost in transit. They are getting worse as time goes along. I'm just ticked of that my plans of working on my falcon have been scrubbed because having to wait for the parts to arrive. Of course, the HLJ package is mostly my fault for going cheap on shipping; I should know better by now than to have anything shipped SAL.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back