Tron Legacy RINZLER helmet!!!

I am back.
These days I finished the master of visor, and I tried the transparent resin for the holes of the lights, the resin works, I just need a little care, I did the test on the helmet already cut, re-inserting it into the mold, has not fully adhered the rubber at all points, then the work came not perfect, but at least I could try.
And in the end I pulled the first visor, with my vacuum forming, this being the first is not perfect, but now I know I can get things done for complet ethe helmet.

ArtFunk, I have to say I am absolutely blown away by the quality of your work. Your Daft Punk and Tron helmets are the highlight of my visits to the RPF and I usually take a look at this thread at least once whenever I visit.

I noticed that you were having a smidgen of difficulty getting your light windows (for the lighted parts on the helmet) to have the appearance of being black, while also being transparent enough to allow for a good transmission of the light from (presumably) the LEDs you are using. I have seen several folks recommending tinting the plastic you use to make the windows, and while that can be quite good, and would undoubtedly make for a decent window for said project, getting the tint just right would be tough, and you would undoubtedly also have to go through multiple attempts to get it just right. I have a recommendation that would keep things somewhat economical and would be able to be reproduced time and time again much easier than getting the tint levels just right.

VHT Nightshades. Yes, the taillight tinting spray that some have used to blackout a visor (and I would also recommend for your visor as well) could be used to tint the little doodads (yes, I am from the south, and yes, doodad is a technical term). Here are the steps I thought of.

1. Create a positive mold of the hole you are wanting to fill in. Then use that to make a negative mold from which you could vacuform from.
2. Vacuform a small piece for that lens out of your preferred transparent/translucent plastic, trimming the excess away so that it fits flush with the outside of the helmet, while maintaining a good fit on the inside.
3. Using the VHT Nightshades, spray one coat of the tinting spray, let it dry, then follow the sanding/varnishing cycle at least 3 times to match the sheen on your helmet.

Voila! Your lens should be nice and dark enough that one couldn't see through from the outside unless there is something shiny coming from underneath (i.e. a lit LED). And then all you would have to do is mount your LEDs on a backing of some sort and glue it to your new lens and then that whole assembly to the hole in the helmet. Just need to make sure your wiring is free enough to route to the appropriate power pack and you should be set.

Hope it all helps, and I hope to be able to do a similar posting for my upcoming helmet/suit build. Peace, love, and beers to you all!!!!!

Thanks for all your advice, I thought so many solutions to the problem of the lights, including those described by you, now I'm trying with the transparent resin eved what comes out, I think I will use for the visor POWDR DIE RIT, which colors the visor very well and leaves a 100% visibility

Thanks for all your advice, I thought so many solutions to the problem of the lights, including those described by you, now I'm trying with the transparent resin eved what comes out, I think I will use for the visor POWDR DIE RIT, which colors the visor very well and leaves a 100% visibility

Presumably (I seem to use that word alot, don't I?) you are not referring to Rit fabric dye when you say POWDR DIE RIT. If you are, how are you getting it to work with your plastic, and if not, what kind of dye are you talking about?

Alright, I checked out TekParasite's Daft Punk helmet build. I saw how the Rit dye is used to tint the PETG. So now the only question I might have left is to ask how you are working with the visor. I had been contemplating how to make it so it could open with leaving the helmet on the head. I haven't been able to quite get the mechanics or the concept down yet, so I probably will work it much like you are doing with yours. It seems as if you are slipping the clear visor onto the built-in lip on the base then probably going to glue it in place. If this isn't your plan, how are you going to go about it?

Came looking for updates and was not disappointed, while the visor seems to still have some things you need to work out, it certainly is looking great! Can't wait to see it sealed black with the lights, I'm sure to blown out of my chair.:lol

It's looking fantastic. I was a little worried about the visibility of the visor until I read that the photos were of the first test one. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next batch looks. :)

Presumably (I seem to use that word alot, don't I?) you are not referring to Rit fabric dye when you say POWDR DIE RIT. If you are, how are you getting it to work with your plastic, and if not, what kind of dye are you talking about?

Oh sorry
Yes RIT POWDR DYE, i'm wrong.

Wow i must say this is beyond awsome, cant wait to see the final work!
I know it might sound a stupid question but, is it useble on the rode. I think it could look crazy with a bike and the rinzler costume! And im really looking forword to find one helmet like this!

Wow i must say this is beyond awsome, cant wait to see the final work!
I know it might sound a stupid question but, is it useble on the rode. I think it could look crazy with a bike and the rinzler costume! And im really looking forword to find one helmet like this!

No it is not suitable for riding bikes, no resistance, in case of impact splitting very easily.

This looks like it is turning out awesome! I am just getting into making props for myself, and wanted to start with a Tron identity disk, but after seeing this, a Tron helmet sounds a little more exciting! Great work! Can't wait to see the finished product.

With this they are completed, testing, and I can say that these methods will be the definitive ones.
So in summary:
I will make copies available in plastic, then I do a partial removal of rubber from the rear of the helmet, I will practice the holes for the lights, reposition the eraser, and do the casting of transparent resin to close the holes. Then proceed with the normalmete cut of the visor, sanding and painting, covering the portion of the transparent resin, and then gradually, visor, etc..
And pretty much comes out of this! : D

just a thought

but would it not be possible to vacform the helmet halfs ( not the visor )
in highgloss black hips
no need to paint then and the hips is a fantastic gloss black

other than that fantastic work

just a thought

but would it not be possible to vacform the helmet halfs ( not the visor )
in highgloss black hips
no need to paint then and the hips is a fantastic gloss black

other than that fantastic work
For vacuum former half helmet, should vacfor all helmet, and would need a vacuum forming, too big.

what i meant was to make the helmet into 2 halfs ( left and right )

and then vacform these you could put a under cut on one side of the halfs so it would be easy to join back up to the other half side

just a thought on my side

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back