Tron Lightcycle Run Merch Discussion

Just bumping this thread to see if there have been any developments. I know someone on Reddit who was tinkering with the chips when he had some spare time, but so far no progress in hacking one. Has anybody here made any attempts?
I’ll probably make a thread at some point, but at the moment I’m still investigating options.

I’ve got a 5V RGBW led strip, but it produces too much heat for my application (I want it to stay on for hours, potentially). In free air, white at 50% brightness it was already 40 degrees Celsius (104 F). No chance it’ll stay at a reasonable temperature once closed within the disc. Also, the outer ring gives almost no diffusion so you can clearly see the leds (after trimming the wings, placing the strip directly in touch with the internal side).

I ordered a 24V COB led strip but it will take 2/3 weeks to arrive. I’m treating this as a low priority project.

I’ll probably make a thread at some point, but at the moment I’m still investigating options.

I’ve got a 5V RGBW led strip, but it produces too much heat for my application (I want it to stay on for hours, potentially). In free air, white at 50% brightness it was already 40 degrees Celsius (104 F). No chance it’ll stay at a reasonable temperature once closed within the disc. Also, the outer ring gives almost no diffusion so you can clearly see the leds (after trimming the wings, placing the strip directly in touch with the internal side).

I ordered a 24V COB led strip but it will take 2/3 weeks to arrive. I’m treating this as a low priority project.
What is the outer disc made of once its out? Hard plastic or a rubbery material like the SM discs?

Was thinking about feeding mine to the sandblaster to get an etched finish at least on the inner face, but maybe all over if needed, frosting it should help tremendously with diffusion

What is the outer disc made of once its out? Hard plastic or a rubbery material like the SM discs?

Was thinking about feeding mine to the sandblaster to get an etched finish at least on the inner face, but maybe all over if needed, frosting it should help tremendously with diffusion
It’s rubbery, I don’t know how it compares to the SM discs. It’s fairly clear, if you put a piece of written paper on the inside you can read it from the outside.

How does the hero helmet compare to the toy helmet?

I was able to snag one for $20 this weekend and while it fits pretty good, it does feel pretty big or slightly oversized. But it could also be my tiny lemon head so was curious.

It’s rubbery, I don’t know how it compares to the SM discs. It’s fairly clear, if you put a piece of written paper on the inside you can read it from the outside.
Ok, so I went to pull my disc apart and immediately realized that the screw holes on the backside were plugged - a nice addition, but harder to gain access. How did you get into your copy? Did you drill out those plugs or were you able to pop them out?

Ok, so I went to pull my disc apart and immediately realized that the screw holes on the backside were plugged - a nice addition, but harder to gain access. How did you get into your copy? Did you drill out those plugs or were you able to pop them out?
I don't think they can be removed non-destructively. They're glued in.

This is how I removed them.
I drilled a small hole and run an M3 screw in it, with the thread gripping in the hole I made. When the M3 screw reaches the bottom of the cavity (where the OEM screw is) it stats pushing out the plug. That breaks the glue and then it just comes out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back