Tron Legacy RINZLER helmet!!!

Yet another thread that makes me wish I knew how to do this kinda of stuff from scrach...

Nice work, and let me know if you end up selling these!

I really think if you cut the helmet here in half and vacuform each side in thick styrene and then do teh visor making it a 3 piece kit that would be so awesome, do you think you can do anything like that?

I was looking it over and you might be able to work in a little LED board like this. and then just cover the opening with a bit of frosted Acrylic. then again you could use EL Sheet cut to the right shape and size the wire it through little holes in the helmet and lay the Sheet on top as sort of a decal to cover the holes and provide the effect.

Then again I am a novice at all this so you probably have plenty of better Ideas. I just wantend to through my 2 cents in.

Ok, cut the helmet in half, now I have to invent how to do the lights!

I really think if you cut the helmet here in half and vacuform each side in thick styrene and then do teh visor making it a 3 piece kit that would be so awesome, do you think you can do anything like that?

I did not understand the procedure you say: (

and if you vacuform it in tinted plastic that is thick, you can put the leds on the inside so it remains smooth!
My vacuum forming is not big enough I think, to thermoform the whole helmet, and in any case then I should also make us the visor.

Dice di tagliare l'elmo a metà per lungo (come hai fatto la cresta dello stampo) e termoformare le due metà. poi la visiera e fare quindi un kit in tre parti di abs cicciotto. E dice pure che se formi con plastica cicciona traslucida, puoi mettere le luci dentro senza dover bucare.

(I translated for my fellow punisher ;) )

Dice di tagliare l'elmo a metà per lungo (come hai fatto la cresta dello stampo) e termoformare le due metà. poi la visiera e fare quindi un kit in tre parti di abs cicciotto. E dice pure che se formi con plastica cicciona traslucida, puoi mettere le luci dentro senza dover bucare.

(I translated for my fellow punisher ;) )

Lavoraccio!

I registered here just to suggest something. I know this would be hard, but could you somehow cast the helmet in the same material as the visor, so it looks like it is black, but with depth? that's how I percieve the actual Rinzler helmet. Then you could just coat the inside in actual black paint and fill in with foam.

I registered here just to suggest something. I know this would be hard, but could you somehow cast the helmet in the same material as the visor, so it looks like it is black, but with depth? that's how I percieve the actual Rinzler helmet. Then you could just coat the inside in actual black paint and fill in with foam.

I was actually having the same Idea. then their would be no need to cut openings. I would just worry about light transfer through the outside transparency of the helmet.

I do not think that the original helmet is a piece uncim the side lines you see are exactly the division of the visor. My thermoforming is not large enough to pull a piece of the size.

:love Looking good! I'm starting on my suit this week and can only hope it can match the quality and accuracy of your helmet thus far!

Unfortunately the hole is open, so I have to apply some of the same shape in the hole, and make it dark and transparent at the same time.

ArtFunk, I have to say I am absolutely blown away by the quality of your work. Your Daft Punk and Tron helmets are the highlight of my visits to the RPF and I usually take a look at this thread at least once whenever I visit.

I noticed that you were having a smidgen of difficulty getting your light windows (for the lighted parts on the helmet) to have the appearance of being black, while also being transparent enough to allow for a good transmission of the light from (presumably) the LEDs you are using. I have seen several folks recommending tinting the plastic you use to make the windows, and while that can be quite good, and would undoubtedly make for a decent window for said project, getting the tint just right would be tough, and you would undoubtedly also have to go through multiple attempts to get it just right. I have a recommendation that would keep things somewhat economical and would be able to be reproduced time and time again much easier than getting the tint levels just right.

VHT Nightshades. Yes, the taillight tinting spray that some have used to blackout a visor (and I would also recommend for your visor as well) could be used to tint the little doodads (yes, I am from the south, and yes, doodad is a technical term). Here are the steps I thought of.

1. Create a positive mold of the hole you are wanting to fill in. Then use that to make a negative mold from which you could vacuform from.
2. Vacuform a small piece for that lens out of your preferred transparent/translucent plastic, trimming the excess away so that it fits flush with the outside of the helmet, while maintaining a good fit on the inside.
3. Using the VHT Nightshades, spray one coat of the tinting spray, let it dry, then follow the sanding/varnishing cycle at least 3 times to match the sheen on your helmet.

Voila! Your lens should be nice and dark enough that one couldn't see through from the outside unless there is something shiny coming from underneath (i.e. a lit LED). And then all you would have to do is mount your LEDs on a backing of some sort and glue it to your new lens and then that whole assembly to the hole in the helmet. Just need to make sure your wiring is free enough to route to the appropriate power pack and you should be set.

Hope it all helps, and I hope to be able to do a similar posting for my upcoming helmet/suit build. Peace, love, and beers to you all!!!!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back