Tron Legacy Costume

I already have it molded with the hole. My plan for that area in the future was to cut it out with a Dremel and put in a frosted piece of plexi. Then put a small led kit to have the center glow. If there is enough interest (meaning preorders here on the forums) I can fill that space and remold it.

I could also see a 9volt/12volt Battery Pack in that open square area, covered in a black plate or colored plastic with LED backlight in any case.

Last edited:
I already have it molded with the hole. My plan for that area in the future was to cut it out with a Dremel and put in a frosted piece of plexi. Then put a small led kit to have the center glow. If there is enough interest (meaning preorders here on the forums) I can fill that space and remold it.

What about leaving the space hollow and patching the front? That looks like a great place to have batt packs. I would def buy one if it was able to hold some guts

Photos of the shoes on my feet:

Madly in love with them, and they really are very tall! A fair bit of work to make them into real shoes but with the base being solid and plastic if it less than with regular heels thank goodness ;)

Those heels look perfect for the non-movie style version of the heel, mdb! I do rather like that version myself over the plainer movie style.

Are you planning on converting them to a closed-toe/splicing two shoes together yourself or having it done at a shoe repair store? There's a cobbler supply place I've checked out a few times and I know the bf would be game to doing the conversion by ourselves...but man, when it comes to shoes and something that needs to support my weight, I want the work to be perfect!

I think those would be fun shoes to own and wear even without making a Siren costume!

~Victoria

Last edited:
For anyone looking for a good base, I stumbled upon this eBay store: Shop eBay Canada Store - henrimaurice:: Auctions Today, Sale up tp 30

If you click 'Sale up to 30%' from the menu on the left, you can find gems like this:

Compression Tights Skin Base Layers Shirts 005 BLACK S on eBay.ca (item 290524374762 end time 17-Feb-11 05:06:25 EST)

or this:

Heat Thermal Warm Gear Skin Tights Pants 025 BLACK S on eBay.ca (item 290524424816 end time 17-Feb-11 09:14:46 EST)

Just bought a size small in each, free shipping pretty much anywhere, cost me $32 total. Not bad.

I'm looking for a compression top as a base. its a nice find for sure but im being kinda picky. the perfect one i found ended up only coming in blue. shucks.

For anyone looking for a good base, I stumbled upon this eBay store: Shop eBay Canada Store - henrimaurice:: Auctions Today, Sale up tp 30

If you click 'Sale up to 30%' from the menu on the left, you can find gems like this:

Compression Tights Skin Base Layers Shirts 005 BLACK S on eBay.ca (item 290524374762 end time 17-Feb-11 05:06:25 EST)

or this:

Heat Thermal Warm Gear Skin Tights Pants 025 BLACK S on eBay.ca (item 290524424816 end time 17-Feb-11 09:14:46 EST)

Just bought a size small in each, free shipping pretty much anywhere, cost me $32 total. Not bad.

This is going to sound somewhat insane, but does anyone have access to a chem lab? I was reading the patent for Sylvania's EL phosphors (apparently the ones used in the EL tape in the movie) and the phosphors are made mostly of things you can get at the hardware store. There are a few exotic/dangerous chemicals, but mostly what you need is special equipment. Here's the patent if anyone is interested: Preparation of ZnS:Cu,Cl electroluminescent phosphor - Patent 6555021

Again, insane, I know, but it might be interesting to make EL sheets without having to cobble things together or commission custom CNC work.

This is going to sound somewhat insane, but does anyone have access to a chem lab? I was reading the patent for Sylvania's EL phosphors (apparently the ones used in the EL tape in the movie) and the phosphors are made mostly of things you can get at the hardware store. There are a few exotic/dangerous chemicals, but mostly what you need is special equipment. Here's the patent if anyone is interested: Preparation of ZnS:Cu,Cl electroluminescent phosphor - Patent 6555021

Again, insane, I know, but it might be interesting to make EL sheets without having to cobble things together or commission custom CNC work.

YouTube - Make Electroluminescent (EL) Ink at Home - Re-doping Glow Powder

Heres a video showing you how to do this. I had this same idea before, and I asked the person who made this video and she said that making this probably wouldn't be very efficient and wouldn't turn out as well as we would want. Also you can't just use the EL ink, you have to have layers of conductors and other things. It's kind of complicated. But if you think you can do it, go for it. And as you can see, you don't really need a chem lab. You just have to be very careful at home. :) Good luck.

Photos of the shoes on my feet:

Madly in love with them, and they really are very tall! A fair bit of work to make them into real shoes but with the base being solid and plastic if it less than with regular heels thank goodness ;)

Those look fantastic so far! Forgive me if I'm being a dunce and not remembering, but where did you manage to get those shoes? I'm still scowering ebay for mine (you'd think they'd have something in a 7.5/8, but noooo....).

In other news, I was able to test out a white LED hoop on Monday. The illumination was amazing! There's no going back now. :p

Hello! :) I'd just like to say that this thread has been immensely helpful for my plans for a Tron cosplay. I'm planning on making a Quorra costume and my sister is going to be a Siren. After looking at about 200 different boots, I settled with the Fitzwell Rylee 2 black wedge boots on Zappos.com. They came and they are PERFECT for Quorra! ^^ I'm really excited to put this costume together, and I'm very interested to see how everyone else's outfits turn out! :D

Hello! :) I'd just like to say that this thread has been immensely helpful for my plans for a Tron cosplay. I'm planning on making a Quorra costume and my sister is going to be a Siren. After looking at about 200 different boots, I settled with the Fitzwell Rylee 2 black wedge boots on Zappos.com. They came and they are PERFECT for Quorra! ^^ I'm really excited to put this costume together, and I'm very interested to see how everyone else's outfits turn out! :D

I ended up going with the Gabrielle Rocha "Zalyia" black wedges, since I'm planning to make exterior panels for the boots similar to the ones in the promo photos of Quorra (which appear to have a stretchier layer beneath the joints between the panels, so the boots can stretch and move). I'm figuring it'll allow me to embed any lighting in the panels rather than having to modify or attach it to the outside of something. I just got them yesterday and they're very comfy. :-D

I finally got both sides to illuminate!

New vid! YouTube - Illuminated TRON Disc Mod Front and Back - Full Kit

DiscFnB.jpg

Last edited:
ok I like this new disc a lot! I have a question though, is it possible to get a green inner glow by changing out the LEDs or would those pieces need to be cast in green? (or just put some green tint over the top as a hack)

I ended up going with the Gabrielle Rocha "Zalyia" black wedges, since I'm planning to make exterior panels for the boots similar to the ones in the promo photos of Quorra (which appear to have a stretchier layer beneath the joints between the panels, so the boots can stretch and move). I'm figuring it'll allow me to embed any lighting in the panels rather than having to modify or attach it to the outside of something. I just got them yesterday and they're very comfy. :-D

That's a really good idea! I'm planning on attaching the EL wire/ reflective tape to the outside of the boots themselves. But it might be easier to attach on the inside to avoid the outside looking sloppy. I'm leaning toward either EL wire and diffusing it or using EL tape, but I'm not sure yet. I still need to look into both and see which would work better. What are you planning on doing for the lights?

That's a really good idea! I'm planning on attaching the EL wire/ reflective tape to the outside of the boots themselves. But it might be easier to attach on the inside to avoid the outside looking sloppy. I'm leaning toward either EL wire and diffusing it or using EL tape, but I'm not sure yet. I still need to look into both and see which would work better. What are you planning on doing for the lights?

On both the helmet and the boots I'm thinking of having separate, smaller power supplies that can run the lights independently of the rest of the costume. I haven't done much testing of lighting methods yet, but I am considering a method of diffusing LEDs in a way that reduces bright spots. I would like to try hollowing out the heel or molding a replacement for it that can contain the necessary electronics. Fortunately the boots don't have a ton of EL on them, so the small length of EL tape + an independent power source might be all I need.

YouTube - Make Electroluminescent (EL) Ink at Home - Re-doping Glow Powder

Heres a video showing you how to do this. I had this same idea before, and I asked the person who made this video and she said that making this probably wouldn't be very efficient and wouldn't turn out as well as we would want. Also you can't just use the EL ink, you have to have layers of conductors and other things. It's kind of complicated. But if you think you can do it, go for it. And as you can see, you don't really need a chem lab. You just have to be very careful at home. :) Good luck.
That's where I first got the idea to try to make my own phosphors. She doesn't do it the way that the patent describes, I think she was just kind of figuring it out herself. The patent uses special equipment like a furnace, and probably fume hoods, given some of the chemicals they used. And yeah, you need more than the phosphors to make EL devices, it's just one of the more expensive/specialty parts. ITO film is the other specialty part. I think that will be harder to get, to be honest; I haven't found a single supplier that sells small quantities. I might see what I can do at my university, but I don't know how that will turn out.

Failing this, I hope the price of EL tape and sheets starts to drop dramatically, cause I really want to be able to get some soon :<

My supplier of EL Sheet just came out with a new version. This one is tabbed on 3 sides instead of 4 and has a slightly larger area than an A4 8 1/2 x 11". Looks like they aren't counting the terminals around the edge anymore when determining size.

Can't tell you how useful that would have been when designing the pattern on my costume. I kept thinking, if I had another inch here or there it would be a lot easier.

E-Luminates

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back