Trader Sam's Window Materials question

RedFox79

Hi all,
First let me say I'm not sure if this is even the right message board, let alone right forum. I'm trying to build a false window diorama inspired by the ones at Trader Sam's Tiki Bar at the Disneyland resort. Basically they have a 3d volcano in front of an LCD screen and as you look out the 'window' you can see the light change and the volcano erupt. I'm trying to do my own version with Diamond Head and Waikiki beach. My question is what would be a good material for the volcano? I need to have some depth so that I can carve valleys and the like into it. I'm thinking that EPS might be my best option, but I'm not sure.
4745_jumbo.JPG

I think I have would try using the pink foam board. It comes is various thicknesses and is easy to carve.
Good luck! Trader Sam's is a very cool addition to the DL hotel. They did a great job on that place.

I second foam.
You could also look into the scenic materials model railroaders use.

If you are doing a "Tiki" bar theme than you might want to look at the Tiki Central forum where there is a whole section on home Tiki bars.
Some time back there was someone doing a false window with a Clipper (sea plane) at a dock.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread....but wondering if you ever made your Trader Sam's window replica?

I'm looking to make one myself..but know little about it (that's how I found this thread, when searching for more info)

Looking to replicate the effects as well.

Is this really an LCD screen? I have only seen it a few times in person...and thought it might have been update to some sort of projection maping onto the 3d carved mountains.

any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not certain where the best place to find more info/help is.

side note:
I'm looking to build a full replica of the Trader Sam bar (well really a mass up of Disneyland's and DisneyWorld's) and wanting to replicate allot of the effects they have.
it's an ambitious project for certain (considering I have no design of fabrication skills at all) but going to give it my best effort

thanks!

Hi Orion2185!

I know this is an old post but wonder if you ever made progress on the tiki bar and the Trader Sams window? I am in a similar boat as I am hoping to recreate some of the tiki room with some elements from trader sams - hence the window ... any advice for someone just starting out? I looks like a video mapping projection onto a 3D object. Also its very nice to meet you! Hope you are well! :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back