Tom's Real Parts Obi Wan Saber

Got out my Nikon, here is a clearer explanation.

The Flash Hider and the grenade.
DSCN3384.JPGDSCN3385.JPG

I made sure to cut a half centimeter (thickness of grenade ridge under graflex clamp) below the first ring. That turned out to be the second ring. I cut a bit short, to leave material to go into the grenade.
DSCN3372.jpgDSCN3373.JPG

I also didn't have to do that. the rings are the same diameter as the threading inside the bottom of the grenade. The skinnier part of the flash hider, between the rings, is the diameter of the inside of the grenade. Cool!

*I should have cut a bit less of the FH off, maybe an extra centimeter...the clamp completely covers the bottom edge of the grenade. Not sure if that's accurate....*

Here she is with her skirt lifted :lol
DSCN3383.jpgDSCN3377.jpg
My girlfriend is responsible for hollowing out the cone. It was such a small amount of material but it took nearly two hours!

Now, see that hex nut? That's the reducer. It sits low in the booster, just by space available. The pommel was spinning and the thing wouldn't tighten until I added a nut inside the pommel.

DSCN3381.jpgDSCN3380.jpgDSCN3382.jpg

and now I can take an allen wrench and tighten it all together.
DSCN3387.jpg
DSCN3370.jpg
DSCN3369.jpgDSCN3364.jpgDSCN3363.jpg

Whatcha think? :lol

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Check posts#18 and #24 for the position of the Pommel cubes and D-ring : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901 :) I just wondered is the pommel additionally attached with that protruding screw somewhere inside the booster?

Chaim

And yes - I wanted this done Tunisia style because there's a tiny notch in the Pommel cube rim (inside) that locks together with the sleeve. It's the way they come oiginally. You CAN flip them, like the Chronicles shot, it will screw together just fine but I felt that was a bit counterintuitive for my taste.

The D ring, yes, I have to orient it correctly.... good thing is the clamp spins freely right now, so I can put it wherever I like..maybe putty some nuts to the flash cone for my transistor screws when I have it situated.

You are correct about the pommel. It connects inside the lower booster. The T nut (with the three holes) is only to pinch the pommel and keep it from spinning.
Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 4.34.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-06 at 4.33.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 4.42.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-06 at 4.40.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Tom, it looks incredible! You've done a great job with this. I love it, man.

I was thinking about your impeccable putty job on your grenade earlier. I have to put something on the bottom rim of mine so the clamp can grip it securely. I may just use an O ring but I pondered widening it with quick steel like you!

I was thinking about your impeccable putty job on your grenade earlier. I have to put something on the bottom rim of mine so the clamp can grip it securely. I may just use an O ring but I pondered widening it with quick steel like you!

Thanks, man. That putty is pretty easy to deal with. Plus if you put too much on, it is easy to sand if you get to it before it sets up all the way. I highly recommend it.

So let me see if I understand correctly, that bolt in the bearing going through/inside the booster has 2 different sizes one on each end to accommodate 2 different screws? That's quite crafty :)

Chaim

Thank you! The thing in the bearing is a nut with two different threads on each end. It's called a "reducer" here in the US. I wish I could say that I made them myself but I bought a bag from China...I now have a good handful I don't need:D

m_9FynxAdnDs3rQKgpdoPcw.jpg

3/8 16 on one side (Roman Emitter threading) and 1/4 20 on the other (good size for real sink knob hold)

Man, I think I'm going to need a full tutorial on all this. Still trying to absorb the intricacy of what you've accomplished here.

I drilled out the hand wheel to accommodate the RE rod so I guess I won't need to do the reducer thing?

Also, I guess I can use a drill press to put a hole big enough in the bearing/cone assembly to just use the single threaded rod all the way to the top...

Last edited:
I always had a feeling that the flash hider, very much altered like yours, was what was under the clamp and how you've got your saber set up was exactly how the guys did it for ANH (waste not, want not). It's really nice to see someone finally do it! It must feel great to hold!

This is like a holy grail item for me. Everyone I see makes me equally happy and depressed... because it's just that fewer parts out there for me to find :):cry:cheers:sleep Awesome buildup!!

I always had a feeling that the flash hider, very much altered like yours, was what was under the clamp and how you've got your saber set up was exactly how the guys did it for ANH (waste not, want not). It's really nice to see someone finally do it! It must feel great to hold!

It does...It feels fantastic actually! I always revel in doing things nearly the same way they did it back then. Being able to do this was a dream come true. The saber also emotionally feels MUCH more authentic being constructed this way.

Now Roman is gonna have to make a replica flash hider.

:lol yes! he's already made those FX spacers that thread into the booster...

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I'm seeing it now. Very cool. Fired up to get back to my build.
Thanks Tom!

This is like a holy grail item for me. Everyone I see makes me equally happy and depressed... because it's just that fewer parts out there for me to find :):cry:cheers:sleep Awesome buildup!!

That's really awesome, I'm glad to be able to fire you guys up. OFF TO THE WORKSHOP!

- - - Updated - - -

I drilled out the hand wheel to accommodate the RE rod so I guess I won't need to do the reducer thing?

Also, I guess I can use a drill press to put a hole big enough in the bearing/cone assembly to just use the single threaded rod all the way to the top...

Man you drilled out the sink knob? You're braver than I! I would recommend doing the bearing by hand, unless you have exact drill bits. It's very dense metal.

It does...It feels fantastic actually! I always revel in doing things nearly the same way they did it back then. Being able to do this was a dream come true. The saber also emotionally feels MUCH more authentic being constructed this way.

:lol yes! he's already made those FX spacers that thread into the booster...

- - - Updated - - -

That's really awesome, I'm glad to be able to fire you guys up. OFF TO THE WORKSHOP!

- - - Updated - - -

Man you drilled out the sink knob? You're braver than I! I would recommend doing the bearing by hand, unless you have exact drill bits. It's very dense metal.

Yeah, I've got a thing about power tools...

image.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back