The style thread

Can you load some pics of the pattern? I know it likely has a corresponding internet search but I find personal interpretation trumps popular understanding/perception every time.
allenedmonds_shoes_harrison_walnut.jpg

Straight-Bar-Lacing-7-v3-100x160.gif

If you would like to hide the knot like the first picture, adjust the top eyelit lacing this way (ignore that second from the bottom double feed)...

cach-dau-day-giay-kieu-chong-len-nhau.jpg

On the subject of shoes, I don't know if this is something that's considered a commonly suggested style thing, but in the Marine Corps, we're taught to tuck the laces in both our shoes and boots, into the shoe or boot. This is something that I still do to this day when wearing any footwear besides sneakers/tennis shoes since I feel that it creates a cleaner, neater look.
Yep, I do that all the time; my Grand-Father/Father gave me the advice when I was...4 years old and going to kindergarten for the first time:D

Don't know if we covered this part, but what about cufflinks. When do I purposely get a buttonless cuff that requires links? Question two, why do cufflinks go outside to outside instead of inside to outside like a button, or is that just one way to use them?

Don't know if we covered this part, but what about cufflinks. When do I purposely get a buttonless cuff that requires links? Question two, why do cufflinks go outside to outside instead of inside to outside like a button, or is that just one way to use them?
Cufflinks can be an everyday affair...if you want it to be, of course. There's a few exceptions, if my memory serves me well: garden party in one of them. Since those do-das are summer stuff; cufflinks would be "too much" for those.
The bigger part of the cufflinks is always on the outside of the French cuff shirt. Many designs, even some with little chains attaching the small part to the big, decorated, part.;)

"Open toes, no hoses":p "Blue and green should only be seen in a washing machine":lol:
Bah! I’m old school, learned a trick from my S.E.A.L. buddies in the 80’s I live on a lake and wear Custom Chacos Z-1’s year around.

In the winter on rainy days , I slip on a pair of NRS wetsocks with them and I am good to go! (y)

Bah! I’m old school, learned a trick from my S.E.A.L. buddies in the 80’s I live on a lake and wear Custom Chacos Z-1’s year around.

In the winter on rainy days , I slip on a pair of NRS wetsocks with them and I am good to go! (y)
I had to look up those socks. That is practically the spy version of knee highs.

Last edited:
A couple of years back my best friend got married and asked me to be his best man. Of course I said yes. Then he asked me when I could go for my rented tuxedo rental. I asked why I couldn't just wear one of mine. Long pause. You OWN your own tuxedo? Yes, I said. I own four.
At the wedding I have to say everyone's tuxedo didn't fit quite right. Of course the one I wore was tailored to me. Everyone kept looking at me and asked, "You rented THAT?" I said that this one is mine. Why is it so shocking that a guy today owns his own tuxedo?

A couple of years back my best friend got married and asked me to be his best man. Of course I said yes. Then he asked me when I could go for my rented tuxedo rental. I asked why I couldn't just wear one of mine. Long pause. You OWN your own tuxedo? Yes, I said. I own four.
At the wedding I have to say everyone's tuxedo didn't fit quite right. Of course the one I wore was tailored to me. Everyone kept looking at me and asked, "You rented THAT?" I said that this one is mine. Why is it so shocking that a guy today owns his own tuxedo?
I have 3 myself as well as a custom fitted Brioni Suit! (y)

I don't think it's shocking to own a tuxedo. I just don't attend any events that would warrant such a purchase. I've worn a tuxedo perhaps five times in my life. I have a halfway decent tailored suit from an outlet store, but even those events are few and far between that would really call for formal wear, even if it's just a generic suit. While I do want to start dressing better, its very rare that I ever feel comfortable in dress clothes.

I don't think it's shocking to own a tuxedo. I just don't attend any events that would warrant such a purchase. I've worn a tuxedo perhaps five times in my life. I have a halfway decent tailored suit from an outlet store, but even those events are few and far between that would really call for formal wear, even if it's just a generic suit. While I do want to start dressing better, its very rare that I ever feel comfortable in dress clothes.
It really is use case. I want the skills and the know how for when it is necessary and I don't mind making an excuse. Our annual countywide father/daughter dance is next week and I always have the perfect reason to pull out the best I own. As for shock, no one I know owns a tux.

So, just to confirm, cufflinks always do this:

20230214_154717.jpg

and never this:

20230214_154831.jpg

Serious question. I ask due to the logical inconsistency of the two. One is back to front (button style cuff), convenient, neat, efficient and only showing a single face and therefore only needing one finished, decorated button face. The cufflink style is back to back, sticks out to catch on things, to get dirty and now has two faces showing. It seems as though this style would have always required TWO matching cufflink ends to show a finished decorated surface on the front and back of the same cuff. Upon researching, this is what the French silk knot cufflink does.

So, in order to put this baby to bed: Why the single sided ornamentation when that does not make sense to have a non finished end purposely showing (somehow a historical change ??) or why not have had the single sided cufflink hide the unadorned end by cuffing back to front like a button?

Sorry, this particular point of style seems to be missing something in its historical evolution.

1676469513955.jpeg

As you know, not all cufflinks have the "Whale Back"/"Bullet Back Toggle" type of design. Some can be a mirror image of each other.
When I was still living in Brussels; I used to cover my buttoned cuff with a false top, masking the button itself. It was a snap kind of thing.
I've never saw those again...even in Europe. Last September, while visiting my family, I've asked several store owners if they had seen those.
Only the old ones remembered those kind of snaps...:(

View attachment 1670171

As you know, not all cufflinks have the "Whale Back"/"Bullet Back Toggle" type of design. Some can be a mirror image of each other.
When I was still living in Brussels; I used to cover my buttoned cuff with a false top, masking the button itself. It was a snap kind of thing.
I've never saw those again...even in Europe. Last September, while visiting my family, I've asked several store owners if they had seen those.
As we noobs like to say "Um no, I had no clue". I def like the two matched ends, not the whale back but it looks to be a standard. As for the cool button topper you mentioned, it sounds like a good task for my next project.

View attachment 1670171

I realized your comment about snaps in this post was not in reference to the pic item marked "snaps". I have never seen this picture one either. Is this just a very rare style or am I just not recognizing it? I ask because I think this snap type would make a pretty awesome cufflink alternative if magnetized. That must already exist.

I realized your comment about snaps in this post was not in reference to the pic item marked "snaps". I have never seen this picture one either. Is this just a very rare style or am I just not recognizing it? I ask because I think this snap type would make a pretty awesome cufflink alternative if magnetized. That must already exist.
It was literally a hollow plastic "snap" that fitted a regular shirt button. You could even put them on all of your shirt buttons (Tuxedo look) and remove them at will (many types: black, silver, red, green ). It had the design of a frisbee (with a soft plastic lip all around). A magnetized one has to have a metal shirt button replacing the normal plastic one. It might work (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back