The style thread

It was literally a hollow plastic "snap" that fitted a regular shirt button. You could even put them on all of your shirt buttons (Tuxedo look) and remove them at will (many types: black, silver, red, green ). It had the design of a frisbee (with a soft plastic lip all around). A magnetized one has to have a metal shirt button replacing the normal plastic one. It might work (y)
It seems like it could be used for both a permanent button's cover like you describe and as a cufflink when paired with a second one of opposite charge (not a cover but instead the entire cufflink set) like these old push together snaps you showed...
20230314_090304.jpg

Did we already cover rolled cuff etiquette? I like the single flip but tends toward the wrong image. I also have a serious tendency toward perfect flat folds, even when above the elbow. So is there a right or wrong way, or even maybe different for different styles? I can't imagine I could abide having dough rolls so no on the crumpled roll. I see below the elbow and above and I don't like the extreme wrinkle that comes from exactly ON the elbow but no clue as to any standard?

Well, I a galaxy far, far away; collars and cuffs were detachable from you shirt. These were specially treated cotton and could be replaced easily with a few buttons affixed to said shirt (since the collar/cuffs are the one getting frayed first...not the shirt itself).
Thanks to our Italian friends; they thought that collar + cuffs should be an integral part of the shirt...hence, when those pieces are used and worn, you'll have to buy an entire shirt instead of those replaceable pieceso_O:(

As for rolled-up cuffs, there's no definite protocol as to where you could roll them on your arms. Some prefer one roll on the forearm, others higher. It's personal. Surgeon/doctors have a tendency to roll them up high (past the elbow crease) when performing some kind of operation on a patient...;) I hope you don't have to go that far in your personal life:p

Well, I a galaxy far, far away; collars and cuffs were detachable from you shirt. These were specially treated cotton and could be replaced easily with a few buttons affixed to said shirt (since the collar/cuffs are the one getting frayed first...not the shirt itself).
Thanks to our Italian friends; they thought that collar + cuffs should be an integral part of the shirt...hence, when those pieces are used and worn, you'll have to buy an entire shirt instead of those replaceable pieceso_O:(

As for rolled-up cuffs, there's no definite protocol as to where you could roll them on your arms. Some prefer one roll on the forearm, others higher. It's personal. Surgeon/doctors have a tendency to roll them up high (past the elbow crease) when performing some kind of operation on a patient...;) I hope you don't have to go that far in your personal life:p
No, there won't be any delivering of babies nor veterinary services rendered. I just had flashbacks of dating a film student and she often would talk about the does and don'ts of tucking/untucking, rolling or crumpling etc.. So I was curious if that carried any weight in formal wear. She was around the movie crowd a lot so way more on the jeans and business jacket time period. Young Hollywood. Admittedly, I was usually impressed with her style opinion. She didn't like flamboyant but did like casual bumped up a notch to stylish much like the McQueen styles we were mentioning before. If it is up to personal choice, I will stick with my perfectly flat rolled cuffs.

No, there won't be any delivering of babies nor veterinary services rendered. I just had flashbacks of dating a film student and she often would talk about the does and don'ts of tucking/untucking, rolling or crumpling etc.. So I was curious if that carried any weight in formal wear. She was around the movie crowd a lot so way more on the jeans and business jacket time period. Young Hollywood. Admittedly, I was usually impressed with her style opinion. She didn't like flamboyant but did like casual bumped up a notch to stylish much like the McQueen styles we were mentioning before. If it is up to personal choice, I will stick with my perfectly flat rolled cuffs.
Not like that...I hope:lol:

miami-vice-don-johnson-K38RND.jpg

Literally worshiped my father in law. He gifted me his Navy flight jacket 53 years ago with his squadron’s patch. Leather and collar quite “salty” from years on the flight deck. Lining, zipper. & cuffs replaced several times to original specs.

A little tight around the waist these days, but the sense of pride & respect is always there.

Personally, having been in the Marines, I prefer flat rolls the width of the cuff and rolled up to past the elbow. But unlike during my time in the Corps, I don't normally roll my sleeves cutting off the circulation tight these days. But when I was in, I always liked my sleeves rolled up nice and tight and any number of my buddies would always ask to roll their sleeves for them because of how nice and tight I would roll them.

Personally, having been in the Marines, I prefer flat rolls the width of the cuff and rolled up to past the elbow. But unlike during my time in the Corps, I don't normally roll my sleeves cutting off the circulation tight these days. But when I was in, I always liked my sleeves rolled up nice and tight and any number of my buddies would always ask to roll their sleeves for them because of how nice and tight I would roll them.
I had a shirt back in the eighties that had an interior strap that would attach to a button (outside of sleeve about 4 inches above the elbow). When the sleeve was rolled the strap would be buttoned and hold up the cuff roll. Albeit, it was bright red with chrome accessories and had a snap button collar as well.

I had a shirt back in the eighties that had an interior strap that would attach to a button (outside of sleeve about 4 inches above the elbow). When the sleeve was rolled the strap would be buttoned and hold up the cuff roll. Albeit, it was bright red with chrome accessories and had a snap button collar as well.
I've never liked those shirts. The button and strap feel like training wheels for your rolled up sleeves lol.

I did exactly the same when I was in the Belgian Army: neat, flat and even rolled up sleeves over the elbow crease as to not crease the cuffs (y) (y)

I did exactly the same when I was in the Belgian Army: neat, flat and even rolled up sleeves over the elbow crease as to not crease the cuffs (y) (y)
In the Marine Corps, nice flat cuffs on rolled sleeves weren't so much a preference as it was a requirement. We would only wear our cammies with our sleeves rolled up during warmer months of the year but when we did, we were expected to have them rolled up nice and neat, the cuffs as flat as possible, and as little space between your arm and the cuff as possible. during the colder (cold being relative depending on where you were stationed) it would be sleeves down and we were expected to have our sleeves neatly pressed with a crease along the sides. But this was back in the '90s and the Marine Corps has since stopped requiring our cammies to be starched and pressed when they switched over to MCCUs/MARPATs from the BDU.

In the Marine Corps, nice flat cuffs on rolled sleeves weren't so much a preference as it was a requirement. We would only wear our cammies with our sleeves rolled up during warmer months of the year but when we did, we were expected to have them rolled up nice and neat, the cuffs as flat as possible, and as little space between your arm and the cuff as possible. during the colder (cold being relative depending on where you were stationed) it would be sleeves down and we were expected to have our sleeves neatly pressed with a crease along the sides. But this was back in the '90s and the Marine Corps has since stopped requiring our cammies to be starched and pressed when they switched over to MCCUs/MARPATs from the BDU.
At least you guys stopped that nonsense. It’s still done here in the UK. In fact when PCS came in the first thing RSMs moaned about, was the arm pockets and blanking plate getting in the way of rolling sleeves up and ironing them flat.

The fact that our main enemy at the time didn’t give a hoot about us ruining the IR properties of our cam uniform with hot irons, but also eventually that war wearing flip flops/sandals etc, hasn’t been figured out to this day

At least you guys stopped that nonsense. It’s still done here in the UK. In fact when PCS came in the first thing RSMs moaned about, was the arm pockets and blanking plate getting in the way of rolling sleeves up and ironing them flat.

The fact that our main enemy at the time didn’t give a hoot about us ruining the IR properties of our cam uniform with hot irons, but also eventually that war wearing flip flops/sandals etc, hasn’t been figured out to this day
The Corps did move away from rolled sleeves for a while but from what I've seen, rolled sleeves during spring/Summer are once again allowed. But starching and pressing our cammies, to the best of my knowledge, are a thing of the past. I believe that all work/cammie/fatigue uniforms across all branches of the US armed forces are now wash and wear and most, just not sure about the US Navy, wear rough out boots that don't need to be and can't be polished. But I'm sure that when all of the branches started switching out to wash and wear uniforms there were old Chiefs and Sgts. Major who probably grumbled about them and in conjunction with some old school officers, still insisted that their troops starch and press their uniforms.

The funny thing about starching and pressing our BDUs is that, technically, we weren't supposed to do that. Starching BDUs, along with washing them using color brightening laundry detergent would ruin the IR reduction coating that the camo pattern was printed with. Instead of reducing your IR signature, it would (supposedly) make your cammies much brighter and practically glow under IR light. But searching and pressing our BDUs were the order of the day and something that was taught to us in boot camp and expected of us once we were given access to an iron and starch in boot camp.

The Corps did move away from rolled sleeves for a while but from what I've seen, rolled sleeves during spring/Summer are once again allowed. But starching and pressing our cammies, to the best of my knowledge, are a thing of the past. I believe that all work/cammie/fatigue uniforms across all branches of the US armed forces are now wash and wear and most, just not sure about the US Navy, wear rough out boots that don't need to be and can't be polished. But I'm sure that when all of the branches started switching out to wash and wear uniforms there were old Chiefs and Sgts. Major who probably grumbled about them and in conjunction with some old school officers, still insisted that their troops starch and press their uniforms.

The funny thing about starching and pressing our BDUs is that, technically, we weren't supposed to do that. Starching BDUs, along with washing them using color brightening laundry detergent would ruin the IR reduction coating that the camo pattern was printed with. Instead of reducing your IR signature, it would (supposedly) make your cammies much brighter and practically glow under IR light. But searching and pressing our BDUs were the order of the day and something that was taught to us in boot camp and expected of us once we were given access to an iron and starch in boot camp.
It was “fixed” over here by re-designing the uniform to make sleeve rolling easier. Apparently using already issued short sleeve shirts for barracks was too much common sense.

Yep it does damage the IR reduction properties.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back