Studio Scale Tyrell Pyramid

Ok folks. Firstly apologies for not posting here awhile. Plagued with ill heath( kidney stones) recently and it’s thrown me right off balance. So I‘ll be back posting more regularly on this again soon Including a more complete buttress.

In what I call a chance discovery, a few weeks ago I found what what I thought was impossible.... the photoetch used on a lot of the original castings/ master patterns. It’s not made anymore and yes, “rarer than hens teeth”. its used on the patterns for the top of the Pyramid and the two you can see in the photo. Its also used on the close up Elevator ( on the ends).
I also discovered some of the tinier model pieces as well and these I can confirm we’re on all on the original patterns including the main face of the Pyramid. So I now have 90% of the parts identified.
The small antennae which some will have noticed from before are for the top of the buttresses. These have been made from scrap pieces of left-over photoetch. They’re not accurate in a sense of being exact but they look the part and the original model makers may have used to same technique. And they‘re all different, no two alike.
D76ACDAA-F043-4D33-AAA1-5ABB3AAE15DC.jpeg

BD6EE6BE-F03D-4369-9711-87A8E602FCFF.jpeg
4A86FD3F-3AA3-4E61-9F2A-1461D7E7D0C7.jpeg

Well, kidney stones are no fun for sure:( I hope you're better now. As for the research and the effort you've put into that crazy project, you have all my admiration and more(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy: Eager to see your next update!

Thanks Joberg. I guess it’s just a reminder that I’m getting old.

I ’ve also been doing a little prep work and research on my next project ( next year perhaps and definitely half- studio scale). Here’s a little teaser.
279B31F9-A6C5-4627-8954-58DADA08DDAF.jpeg
Now that were all getting vaccinated from Covid , I am planning a trip to New York to see a certain prop.

Glad to see you back working on Tyrell Pyramid. Great find regarding the original photo-etch that adds to your authentic build. Looked up pictures of this studio scale model on the web after I first saw your post. Since then, have re-run Blade Runner many times stopping at the Pyramid scenes. What a great architectural design. You seem to be building it with the passion it deserves. I do like you went large to capture the detail.

Last edited:
Thank you, Searum.
Yes the research and work continues. Ireland is finally opening up again after 6 month lockdown ( thank heaven) so a local company will be CNC ing the clear acrylic sheet for support of the main pyramid facade patterns. I tried to cut them on a table saw but was never satisfied with the accuracy and the fact I would need mulitples of the same. Best to farm that one out.
My son convinced me to post the project on Facebook despite my reticence of social media but hey, gotta move with the times. Hoping to get assistance with the last of the reference I need.

Last edited:
Userd 1402, Thank you so much. That would be great.

i know folk here are probably asking where or what are you going to do with the huge model when it’s finished. My hope is that I will donate it to a public museum ( here or abroad) where it can be seen and appreciated by everyone. This might explain why I am so nuts about getting the detail right.
And that going to be part of my legacy.

i know folk here are probably asking where or what are you going to do with the huge model when it’s finished. My hope is that I will donate it to a public museum ( here or abroad) where it can be seen and appreciated by everyone. This might explain why I am so nuts about getting the detail right.
Commendable indeed! (y) (y) :cool::cool:

Keep it to the end, since it provides pleasure. Recall Gollum’s addiction in Lord of the Rings - - - “My Precious”

Zev,
We’re generally shy, quite, nerdy people who like to keep a lot to ourselves. Sometimes we forget to say these things out loud and assume all Blade Runner fans intuitively know these things. So my apologies here to the folks that don’t know.
And thank you for posting those Wonderful images.

To end what was a good week when I got to converse a little with one of my heroes Tom Southwell ( and Joberg, I remember your wonderful interview with him some years ago on Propsummit), some of you may be wondering why had I begun to research the Close Up section. Well the reason was that I had suspicion to believe that one of the detail strips on the elevator slope was the same one on the main Pyramid model I’m working on. I have a close up of a small section and in a moment of karma, I could see in Zev‘s photos yesterday that indeed it is the same. It’s the narrowest of the strips between brass etch.

Is there anyone here that has taken any closer images of the surface that could help me out? I would really be grateful.

To end what was a good week when I got to converse a little with one of my heroes Tom Southwell ( and Joberg, I remember your wonderful interview with him some years ago on Propsummit), some of you may be wondering why had I begun to research the Close Up section. Well the reason was that I had suspicion to believe that one of the detail strips on the elevator slope was the same one on the main Pyramid model I’m working on. I have a close up of a small section and in a moment of karma, I could see in Zev‘s photos yesterday that indeed it is the same. It’s the narrowest of the strips between brass etch.

Is there anyone here that has taken any closer images of the surface that could help me out? I would really be grateful.
Thanks for the praises Pyramidrep but everything about that Q&A is because Tom is so gracious with his time and his love for this movie shows every time you talk to him. He's always ready with pics from BR :cool: (y) (y) :notworthy::notworthy:

Ok Folks. I am getting to the last parts I need to identify on the main facade and frankly I am a bit stuck.
So you all probably know the image of Bill George working on the left hand side pattern. I have enlarged it as you can see. The parts I am trying to identify are outlined with a paper window and arrow and you will also see a close up of the same part from reference I have.
CAN ANYONE HERE IDENTIFY THE PART?. I would really, really, really appreciate it.

F2629DE4-2967-4F85-8805-A1EAFF915F23.jpeg
71EEA94B-6A25-4425-8816-D3DED7150940.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back