So I probably should have shown ye all this time last month, but while it another mock up , it is an important milestone for me because just about all the elements are measured, CADed, cut and ready to be assembled. I have to address the resin casting in the next few weeks. But it’s one step at a time.
Now your probably asking why so many mockups and the answer to minimise the guess work because I‘m at a stage where errors will cost hundreds if not thousands of euro if I have reorder brass-etch as a result of stupid mistake.
I also have to reorganise my studio so I can store the stuff safely- the brass screens are very delicate( I am getting tutored in soldering from a craft metalworkwok/ jewellery school ).
Thats the half-scale buttress from my first post on this thread so you can see the difference in scale.
Just a note to say that I am still searching for that elusive model part mentioned previously. My thanks to Studiokitbash for his advise on doing a more systematic and organised search through old catalogues. Some of you will know that 40 year old model catalogues can be expensive and sometimes difficult to obtain, but I found a great website called Boxartden.com which is a treasure trove . It doesnt have everything, but a great place to start if your looking for kit images. Then go to scalemates.com if you find a particular kit you want to look at. It will give you a history of the kit and a pdf of the instruction sheet( most of the time)....... and eventually you might find the part you’re looking for.
Thank you Folks for the kind comments. Doing a lot of studies/ drafts for artwork is part and parcel with most of the work I do. That studio scale mock up ,even though it’s built with layers of card, turned out pretty heavy. There are internal supports built into it as well. I already had the buttress ”box” cut with 3mm clear acrylic and it weighed a ton. Too heavy. So I recut it with a lighter 2mm and have internal supports cut to support the outer faces. Not canon to what was originally done. But the weight issue is important to how the buttress is supported and there is a lot of stress to the lower front end where it is fixed. The original builders fixed a chamfered baton to the table and the lower front of the buttress to anchor the model. I am looking for a neater and hidden solution, one that involves less weight in the buttress Itself.
Here’s a image of the brass etch for buttress no. 2 which I cut today. All to be cleaned, soldered, fixed..........