Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

C'mon you can't leave! Though a lot of us don't agree on everything it's nice to hear all sides to an argument! It's no fun of everybody agrees on one thing. So no leaving Buddy!

Except it wasn't. The most prominent message was failure is the greatest teacher. And saving what you love, not fighting what you hate was another. Ben's ideology was to destroy everything from the past. Heck even Luke Skywalker who was certain the Jedi needed to end to stop the cycle of suffering. Says "I will not be the last Jedi."
Destroy Leia/Han's relationsip
Leia leaves her lifelong calling to form a resistant because no one believes here
Kill Han
Luke quits on the galaxy like a punk because Ben turns - even though he's the only one who can save the galaxy at that time.
Kill Ackbar
Kill Luke
Carrie died, so they'll be killing her off as well

Ben literally saying to kill off the past.....gee, not sure where anyone would get the idea a main theme of the ST, especially 8, was killing off the past. Between killing off any remaining stars and stomping on their characters on the way out, seems like a fairly clear cut message.

Hell, even if you give them the benefit of the doubt that it's about what you say, they failed miserably in making that the take away.

I'd say the message of 8 was heard loud and clear.

Fans like me are not wanted so I'm leaving.
They can and will do whatever they want with the series. I just won't stick around to watch it anymore.
That’s the irony to me as to why they are bringing the Emperor back,in hopes of getting of old fans to buy tickets.IMO the reason I don’t like the ST is because KK has an agenda that has nothing to do with SW.That and the rat is only interested in money not substance,I believe GL when he said he sold his baby to white slavers.

I believe GL when he said he sold his baby to white slavers.
I keep seeing Lucas being quoted (selectively) to defend what seem like highly questionable creative decisions in the ST. However his slaver quote gets widely ignored...
w3hUyFC (1).gif

That’s the irony to me as to why they are bringing the Emperor back,in hopes of getting of old fans to buy tickets.IMO the reason I don’t like the ST is because KK has an agenda that has nothing to do with SW.That and the rat is only interested in money not substance,I believe GL when he said he sold his baby to white slavers.

So if Disney is "white slavers" then what does that make George who sold his "kids"?

I watched that interview with Charlie Rose a few times. I respect George and am grateful for his creations even if I don't like his later stuff. Though it's clear (at least in that interview) and the premiere of TFA that he is incredibly bitter about the whole thing. I mean you don't make such a politically charged statement like that unless there is an awful lot of resentment in it. Not just towards Disney but at the fans. He's said repeatedly that he retired because all the fans did is hate him for his choices.

I mean on the one hand many of us (myself included at times so I'm not beyond blame) were vicious to him in our reactions. I also think the flip side of that is that he could very well have just moved on from Star Wars and made his independent art house films which I have been dying to see since 2005 when he said he was done with Star Wars. Now we will likely never see them. I'd always hoped that there was still some genius rebel film maker left in him and that his innovations would still push the boundaries of what was possible. I think it's this aspect alone that I have admired him for more that I ever have for his actual body of work.

Plus he was also bitter at Disney for not using his treatments so he likened it to a divorce. I mean the guy clearly has a very complicated relationship to his creation. I personally don't think Disney or Kathleen Kennedy have been very good stewards of Lucasfilm and I often wonder if Lucas has kind of cut ties with her over it. Which would be interesting because they have been friends for 40 plus years.

Destroy Leia/Han's relationsip
Leia leaves her lifelong calling to form a resistant because no one believes here
Kill Han
Luke quits on the galaxy like a punk because Ben turns - even though he's the only one who can save the galaxy at that time.
Kill Ackbar
Kill Luke
Carrie died, so they'll be killing her off as well

Ben literally saying to kill off the past.....gee, not sure where anyone would get the idea a main theme of the ST, especially 8, was killing off the past. Between killing off any remaining stars and stomping on their characters on the way out, seems like a fairly clear cut message.

Hell, even if you give them the benefit of the doubt that it's about what you say, they failed miserably in making that the take away.

Warning this might be sarcastic.....

Destroyed Han and Leia's relationship? No. They had a very realistic relationship, what with their son turning to the Dark Side and murdering a bunch of people. And all they did was seperate, not a divorce, just a separation. But they still love each other and they are still married.
Leia-and-Rey-680501.jpg

Leia's lifelong calling was to be a senator? I don't think so.
latest?cb=20140322083103.jpg

So they killed Han. Someone's gotta go in the first film. And Harrison had been wanting it. So why not Han? It's two birds with one stone.
qui-gons-death.jpg

main-qimg-53d7735f3457c50926cea7499e711e3c.webp

Luke quits the galaxy because he believes he's perpetuating a cycle of suffering and making things worse not better. He's literally doing what he was taught to do in the OT- throwing away his lightsaber and not fighting. And TLJ made it very apparent that Luke can't save Ben.

Oh my gosh they killed a background character that became a meme!
giphy.gif

Luke on his own volition became one with the Force. He is now more powerful then we can possibly imagine! How is that not cool?

Oh sure blame Carrie's passing on them to. Cause that makes sense some how.

George is right in his assessment of Disney but how did he not expect that of them?
I watched that interview with Charlie Rose a few times. I respect George and am grateful for his creations even if I don't like his later stuff. Though it's clear (at least in that interview) and the premiere of TFA that he is incredibly bitter about the whole thing. I mean you don't make such a politically charged statement like that unless there is an awful lot of resentment in it. Not just towards Disney but at the fans. He's said repeatedly that he retired because all the fans did is hate him for his choices.

I mean on the one hand many of us (myself included at times so I'm not beyond blame) were vicious to him in our reactions. I also think the flip side of that is that he could very well have just moved on from Star Wars and made his independent art house films which I have been dying to see since 2005 when he said he was done with Star Wars. Now we will likely never see them. I'd always hoped that there was still some genius rebel film maker left in him and that his innovations would still push the boundaries of what was possible. I think it's this aspect alone that I have admired him for more that I ever have for his actual body of work.

Plus he was also bitter at Disney for not using his treatments so he likened it to a divorce. I mean the guy clearly has a very complicated relationship to his creation. I personally don't think Disney or Kathleen Kennedy have been very good stewards of Lucasfilm and I often wonder if Lucas has kind of cut ties with her over it. Which would be interesting because they have been friends for 40 plus years.

And that's why Disney doesn't make the films. They are the distributor. Most of the creative process happens at Lucasfilm.

And yet you fail to see how pessimistic a view that is on all three of those beloved characters?

Lucasfilm under Disney's banner certainly has a different tone than the way George did. There is no denying that. Sure they might not direct the films and for the most part let each company run themselves but if you think for one second that Disney doesn't have a say in any of it when they finance billions into each company, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Even Mark Hamill hates the ST. Just you wait. Once 9 is released he will stop with the facade and let us know what he really thinks, though I suspect he's been telling us all along, cleverly masking his distain with sarcasm.

Last edited:
And yet you fail to see how pessimistic a view that is on all three of those beloved characters?

Lucasfilm under Disney's banner certainly has a different tone than the way George did. There is no denying that. Sure they might not direct the films and for the most part let each company run themselves but if you think for one second that Disney doesn't have a say in any of it when they finance billions into each company, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't think it's pessimistic. I think it's a good dramatic tragedy. Butterflies, rainbows, and happily every after, is plain boring. The best stories come from when things go wrong, not right.

I don't think it's pessimistic. I think it's a good dramatic tragedy. Butterflies, rainbows, and happily every after, is plain boring. The best stories come from when things go wrong, not right.

You don't see the irony in that entire statement? Star Wars is basically a fairy tale and having it end on a sour note kills all the joy and magic from it which was it's entire function as a story. Which is why I am often baffled at your incessant love of it if all you want to see is the characters live in misery. Sure there needs to be conflict but there also needs to be a thread of hope running throughout the story.

If you want a brooding dark story there are plenty of great ones to choose from, but Star Wars was never that, and I often wonder if we are even watching the same movies.

I can't wait to see The Fries of Jakewalker now! ;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back